Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Garage door security

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Garage door security

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:23 pm

For those of you who keep cars in a garage, I have a very inexpensive intruder deterrent for 'up and over' doors.

It consists of a length of 40mm x 40mm unistrut (slotted as it's lighter), two unistrut 45mm 'S' brackets and a couple of 10mm Rawlbolts (other brands are available). You can add padlocks but I don't bother as you can't move them from outside.
About £15 a door and demountable, so can be re-used if you move.
IMG_8597.JPG
IMG_8597.JPG (134.15 KiB) Viewed 316 times
IMG_8598.JPG
IMG_8598.JPG (150.07 KiB) Viewed 316 times
IMG_8599.JPG
IMG_8599.JPG (110.51 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Last edited by Pondrew on Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Garage door security

Post by Scubaregs » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:26 pm

Not to be used on garage doors without internal access from the house...........
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

PDJ

Garage door security

Post by PDJ » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:48 pm

With up and over door the common way in is to bend one of the corners up enough to get inside then either remove the items via the small opening or fully open the door from inside.

With the up and over doors the above is a good idea if you add 2 bolts to the floor or side near the bottom corner that would make it a good as it is going to be

The doors that are 4 horizontal pannels that slide up in a track you can use a paddlock or a nut and bolt in the track from the inside to prevent the door from moving up

A small battery grinder with a cutting disc for most domestic properties is all they need for industrial roller shutter doors a petrol sthill saw is again all that is needed

If they want in badly enough they are comming in. After all they seal ATM's with a JCB

A friend of mine in Cleethorpes has not been presented with a door he could not open with a big red key yes he is a policeman and a big bloke as well

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Garage door security

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:05 pm

PDJ wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:48 pm With up and over door the common way in is to bend one of the corners up enough to get inside then either remove the items via the small opening or fully open the door from inside.

With the up and over doors the above is a good idea if you add 2 bolts to the floor or side near the bottom corner that would make it a good as it is going to be

The doors that are 4 horizontal pannels that slide up in a track you can use a paddlock or a nut and bolt in the track from the inside to prevent the door from moving up

A small battery grinder with a cutting disc for most domestic properties is all they need for industrial roller shutter doors a petrol sthill saw is again all that is needed

If they want in badly enough they are comming in. After all they seal ATM's with a JCB

A friend of mine in Cleethorpes has not been presented with a door he could not open with a big red key yes he is a policeman and a big bloke as well
Of course, if someone is determined to get in, they will. The solution above is designed to massively improve the pathetic standard locking of an up and over door, and it does for very little cost.
Angle grinders are noisy, so are big red keys. Forcing a standard garage lock is very quiet and very easy.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Garage door security

Post by ronk » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:34 pm

When I had up and overs I also used some 16swg galvanised plate pop riveted onto the top of the doors to close the gap at the top of the door between each of the latches.
Apparently they don’t burst locks, they slide something in and simply push the latches out of the way - I watched an honest man do this when a neighbour locked his keys in his garage.

If you have internal access to the garage, the bottom corners should have bolts across the frame to make bending out more difficult for them.

Ultimately all you can do is slow them down or make next door look a more attractive proposition!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Garage door security

Post by buzyg » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:20 am

An interesting thread. I have had several push bikes nicked over the years. One outside the barbers as I looked out at the van pull up and chuck it in the back. One locked to a pew inside Liverpool Cathedral. My P&G (£2k worth in 1979) of Harry Quinn, was attached to a cast iron drainpipe, they hack sawed through the drain pipe to nick that one. Then there was the time I left the garage door open, while I drove to pick up a mate who's car had broke and some kind tw#t walked off with my wife's Holdsworth.

Then we moved to where we now live 30 years ago. :D :thumbsup: :wink:

Location Location Location, as they say.

Owdgit

Garage door security

Post by Owdgit » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:32 pm

In addition to something similar I have these on my garage doors
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bisley-Securit ... B0049ACMC6
It won't stop em like you say but I hope it makes them sh1t their pants
I like to think I'm an optimist.

2010 Grey Z4 E89 N52 3.0 with stuff
2018 VW Arteon 2.0tsi daily workhorse
2020 KTM 1290 Superduke GT