Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3 yellow lights and these codes (solved… for now)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
RickZ4

3 yellow lights and these codes (solved… for now)

Post by RickZ4 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:51 pm

Hi

I took the Zed thru the car wash this week and was immediately rewarded with the 3 infamous amber warning lights. The lights stay on when I start the engine and I also get a polite beep when I drive off.

My immediate thoughts were ABS sensor + water. I have been for a couple of runs since. Car drives ok, no change in performance.

I plugged in my OBDII and hooked up the ipad this morning. The first diagnostic app found nothing. The second (while searching for extended codes) came up with an FP00 Control unit: 12. I cleared the code. The lights did not go off. I did a lock to lock steering exercise and went for another drive. Surprise, surprise… more codes (see pic below).

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
AD586D45-360B-4092-9DC7-8497C2679797.jpeg
AD586D45-360B-4092-9DC7-8497C2679797.jpeg (105.69 KiB) Viewed 543 times
D70F24D7-5D31-4299-B918-19709ACA5620.png
D70F24D7-5D31-4299-B918-19709ACA5620.png (62.89 KiB) Viewed 543 times
Last edited by RickZ4 on Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
07 2.5i Sport Auto

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

3 amber lights and these codes

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:27 pm

Worryingly for you, the ABS sensors also seem to light up the ABS light, just to the left of the brake warning one.
When I had those same three you have it turned out to be the yaw sensor that sits under the drivers seat.
Feel around and see if it is wet under there, particularly if you've just been through a car wash! Usual culprit is the door membrane leaking and letting the area under the seat flood. The soundproofing holds the damp for ever and eventually it'll kill the yaw sensor.
The facelift sensor is, as I once described somewhere else on here, manufactured from pure unobtanium and is priced to reflect that!

Obviously get all other options checked out first, but if it does turn out to be that yaw sensor I have a spare. :thumbsup:

You can try taking yours out and drying it. Might get lucky. Think you'll need the seat out for access, especially if it is wet underneath. Don't forget to disconnect the battery for half an hour or so first before you unplug the seat.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

RickZ4

Post by RickZ4 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:26 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:27 pm Worryingly for you, the ABS sensors also seem to light up the ABS light, just to the left of the brake warning one.
When I had those same three you have it turned out to be the yaw sensor that sits under the drivers seat.
Feel around and see if it is wet under there, particularly if you've just been through a car wash! Usual culprit is the door membrane leaking and letting the area under the seat flood. The soundproofing holds the damp for ever and eventually it'll kill the yaw sensor.
The facelift sensor is, as I once described somewhere else on here, manufactured from pure unobtanium and is priced to reflect that!

Obviously get all other options checked out first, but if it does turn out to be that yaw sensor I have a spare. :thumbsup:

You can try taking yours out and drying it. Might get lucky. Think you'll need the seat out for access, especially if it is wet underneath. Don't forget to disconnect the battery for half an hour or so first before you unplug the seat.
Thx for the lightning quick response! I just had a poke around under the driver’s seat and the foam under the carpet is completely dry. I remembered to leave the roof up when I took it thru the car wash and, considering the record breaking weather we’ve just had, I don’t think water has found its way under the seat recently.

If you are right in your suspicions I will be pleased to take you up up your offer. Is there an easy way to check the yaw sensor?

It would seem to be a mighty coincidence if the car wash isn’t to blame. The lights came on when I started the engine to drive away.
07 2.5i Sport Auto

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:31 pm

RickZ4 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:26 pm I remembered to leave the roof up when I took it thru the car wash
:rofl: :thumbsup:

Try all the usual stuff. I have to say my Autophix 5900 tells me if it's a wheel sensor and even which one.
The lack of an ABS light is odd though if it's a sensor on the wheel or on the master cylinder?
Others will be along with suggestions too. Hopefully get it sorted quickly (and cheaply!)

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:51 pm

The various light combinations cover a multitude of sins. I had the same three lights for a steering angle sensor issue. If it was ABS relating, the ABS light would be on in addition to or instead of the others.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:53 pm

Zedebee wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:51 pm The various light combinations cover a multitude of sins. I had the same three lights for a steering angle sensor issue. If it was ABS relating, the ABS light would be on in addition to or instead of the others.
So that confirms my thinking on that issue at least. :thumbsup:

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:51 pm

I can confirm that I recently had those three lights plus the ABS light. Replaced the front wheel sensors and all ok. So fairly certain it isnt the wheel sensors.

RickZ4

Post by RickZ4 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:38 pm

Thanx for your thoughts :thumbsup:

I have ordered an Autophix to see if It can reveal anything more detailed. Will let you know the outcome.
07 2.5i Sport Auto

Motionblurrr

Post by Motionblurrr » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:08 pm

Had this issue and it was none of the usual suspects for me.

Ended up being the YAW sensor underneath the passenger seat, under the carpet. I bought a used one from a Mini Cooper off ebay (interchangle!) and it's been good as new, no more annoying lights! It's been about 2 years now. Probably one of the most satifsying issues to fix since the part cost me $20 only

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:20 pm

Motionblurrr wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:08 pm Had this issue and it was none of the usual suspects for me.

Ended up being the YAW sensor underneath the passenger seat, under the carpet. I bought a used one from a Mini Cooper off ebay (interchangle!) and it's been good as new, no more annoying lights! It's been about 2 years now. Probably one of the most satifsying issues to fix since the part cost me $20 only
It is the yaw sensor to which I have been referring in fact.
It's under the RH seat (drivers in the UK)
However, whilst a secondhand pre-facelift one is available for around £30, a facelift one is different and commands a premium of around £150-250!!! New ones are around £500.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:22 pm

RickZ4, the simplest answer is sometimes substitution of parts.
This could prove expensive for a yaw sensor. Pease PM me if you need one and we can sort something out on a sale/return/borrow/lease etc basis.
Or maybe me and the missus will book a weekend in your neck of the woods and I can bring it down for a check.

RickZ4

Post by RickZ4 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:25 pm

Well, the Autophix arrived from Amazon today and, wow, I feel like I’ve become a BMW technician. So that’s how they do it….

It threw up a few codes:

ABS/ACS/DSC Dynamic Steering Control - 5E40 Steering angle sensor: plausibility

EPS Electronic Power Steering - 611B Steering angle

RAD Radio 04 Drive: hardware fault + read error

GM Base Module - 42 Anti-theft alarm system: interior protection

Think I can safely ignore the last two. The CD works fine and I often leave my car parked with the top down anyway. I wonder if that last one is because I disconnected a faulty bonnet sensor some years ago and never got round to replacing it.

Everything else seems to point to the steering angle sensor :?

Am I correct in assuming that I can just erase the codes and they will come back again if the problem still exists? If so, my plan is to try that first and then try initialising the steering sensor if the fault is still there.

Thanks for your generous offer with the yaw sensor, Mr Zed. Hopefully, there’s an easier fix.
07 2.5i Sport Auto

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

3 yellow lights and these codes (updated)

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:29 am

RickZ4 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:25 pm Well, the Autophix arrived from Amazon today and, wow, I feel like I’ve become a BMW technician. So that’s how they do it….

It threw up a few codes:

ABS/ACS/DSC Dynamic Steering Control - 5E40 Steering angle sensor: plausibility

EPS Electronic Power Steering - 611B Steering angle

RAD Radio 04 Drive: hardware fault + read error

GM Base Module - 42 Anti-theft alarm system: interior protection

Think I can safely ignore the last two. The CD works fine and I often leave my car parked with the top down anyway. I wonder if that last one is because I disconnected a faulty bonnet sensor some years ago and never got round to replacing it.

Everything else seems to point to the steering angle sensor :?

Am I correct in assuming that I can just erase the codes and they will come back again if the problem still exists? If so, my plan is to try that first and then try initialising the steering sensor if the fault is still there.

Thanks for your generous offer with the yaw sensor, Mr Zed. Hopefully, there’s an easier fix.
I would certainly try a reset first and see what happens. Could be a temporary glitch that's locked in?
If all else fails I suggest you talk to Stuart (bigwinn) as he's been tinkering/changing the angle sensor quite recently.

colb

3 yellow lights and these codes (updated)

Post by colb » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:26 am

Yes clear the codes then recycle the ignition so that the car goes through its self check of the airbag system, if the fault(s) remain it will trigger the warning lights and regenerate the codes(s). Rescan after the ignition recycle and see what comes back.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

RickZ4

3 yellow lights and these codes (solved… for now))

Post by RickZ4 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:51 pm

Yippee :driving:

After erasing the codes (…twice, after another code was thrown up) we seem to be error free.

Thanks for all your input. We’ll see how long it lasts. Having an Autophix in the boot really gives me confidence and has already started saving me money.
07 2.5i Sport Auto