Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Drifting

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
TomZ4

Drifting

Post by TomZ4 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:22 pm

Since it started to rain I went to try it out today, kind of managed to get some adrenaline from kicking my tail at high throttle on sharp turns from 0mph. It's probably not drifting but i did feel it and it was fun, does anyone know any good tips/tutorials how to learn the skill? :fuelfire:
Electrical engineer with interest in mechanical stuff, hit me up if you need help with some interesting projects.
Z4 - 2012 iDrive S 2.0L
Current project: iDrive Android Screen Installation

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Drifting

Post by buzyg » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:54 pm

Go on a skid pan day. Then practice. Davidstow airfield covered in snow was a good place for that, as I recall. :D :driving: :thumbsup:

Oh and be sure to have a very good job. Tyres is not cheap these days. :wink:

mcbutler

Drifting

Post by mcbutler » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:28 am

You simply find a suitable safe 'curve' place the car in low gear, on a DCT use sport+ and select a low gear so it stays in that gear, then accelarate to 25ish mph on the curve and apply more throttle/wheel till it drifts, then control it on the throttle.
You wont be able to do it like the amazing drifting videos we see as those cars are often set up suspension/diff wise to enable drifting, splayed out rear wheels is a classic mod ......
I would buy some cheap tyres and put them on the back as well, anything that squeals when you corner in the multi storey in hot weather will do, (high teflon content lol)
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Mister T

Drifting

Post by Mister T » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:28 pm

Don't bother with skid pans, do a day with L2D - https://www.learn2drift.com/

I've done a couple, very highly recommended

Dave 2 dogs

Drifting

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:39 pm

Mister T
What would be better to enhance driving skills do you think ?
What you suggest above? Or a super car track day ?
I’ve not done either,

Mister T

Drifting

Post by Mister T » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:57 pm

Dave, you'll have more fun drifting. The instructors are great and will really encourage you to thrash the cars. You'll learn a huge amount about car control, starting with basic donuts/figure 8s, on to more advanced stuff like clutch kick initiations and linking drifts. Really good fun.

brillomaster

Drifting

Post by brillomaster » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:38 pm

Seat time... when i had my first rwd car (a lowly mx5) its took three full days of an empty car park before i really got any good at it, but when it partlt clicked it was a great feeling. Set me up perfectly for buying a ratty 3 series with no traction control, and doing trackdays - that would go sideways in the wet if you even looked at the throttle hard.

Nowadays i dont get sideways as much as i used to... better tyres have made it difficult, and a z4 isnt a natural slider like a 3 series is, short wheelbase means its quite snappy. But the skill is invaluable, now catching a slide with countersteer is second nature.

Dave 2 dogs

Drifting

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:31 pm

Thanks mister T
Those words - you will learn a huge amount about car control- are what I’m looking for, I don’t think you can ever learn too much . Just looking to improve the skills a few levels, having a few things done on the car in the next year, the extra driver skills will make it more fun