Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 Roof Stuck closed (not going down)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
NamSam

Post by NamSam » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:18 am

Hi all,

My car is a 54 plate 2.5 Z4. The roof has worked flawlessly since I got the car last October. However last weekend I noticed a "Creaking" sound from the back when the roof was folding, i assumed the hinges needed lubricating. Anyway Friday, my roof raised and lowered fine about 3 times in the day and the last time when I got home it stopped short about 20mm of locking shut. I removed the panel in the front to view the motor that operates the latch and this was working on the button but not latching. I Locked the roof with the 4mm Allen key and then tried to lower the roof but it would do nothing apart from unlatch itself at the front. Could the creaking sound have been air in the hydraulic lines? Is it an Electrical fault or is the motor shot? It has been relocated to the boot so is easy to access.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Sam.

colb

Post by colb » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:59 am

Take a close look at the position switch in the boot on the rear bulkhead where the shelf pin fits into the slot. Make sure the shelf is in the lowered position and check that the switch metal tang is ok and is connecting with the shelf pin so that it operates. A good code reader should be able to scan the roof module and may give you a clue to which part is at fault.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

NamSam

Post by NamSam » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:41 pm

Hi colb,

Thank you for your reply. So today at dinner I checked the relevant fuses to see if anything was gone, they were all fine. Topped up the hydraulic fluid. Checked the shelf was suited correctly (I had never moved it since I bought the car) and all were fine. So I unlatched the roof at the front with the allen key and put 12 V directly to the motor this then brought the roof down fine. Therefore eliminating the motor being shot. There was no power to the motor when the button was pressed, would this point to a relay?

Many Thanks,
Sam.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:09 pm

NamSam wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:41 pm Hi colb,

Thank you for your reply. So today at dinner I checked the relevant fuses to see if anything was gone, they were all fine. Topped up the hydraulic fluid. Checked the shelf was suited correctly (I had never moved it since I bought the car) and all were fine. So I unlatched the roof at the front with the allen key and put 12 V directly to the motor this then brought the roof down fine. Therefore eliminating the motor being shot. There was no power to the motor when the button was pressed, would this point to a relay?

Many Thanks,
Sam.
You didn’t say if you’d checked the microswitch operation, the rear shelf operates it, if it’s failed the motor won’t work.
F0D47917-6061-4370-B0AC-5216A3727F10.png
F0D47917-6061-4370-B0AC-5216A3727F10.png (876.63 KiB) Viewed 280 times
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:08 pm

If it’s anything to do with the shelf micro-switch, then the console LED would be orange when pressed

This sounds more like a sensor intelligence issue either from the Roof ECU,or the loom itself
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

NamSam

Post by NamSam » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:12 am

Hi All,

The console does flash red. But when you hold the roof close button when it is closed it now does not stop when it is fully locked. if held down it locks and then partially unlocks and continues that cycle. I did press the microswitch while trying to operate the roof. But what works first in the system as it doesn't drop the windows halfway like it should?

Many Thanks,
Sam.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:18 am

When you open the doors do the windows drop a few mm?
I had a problem where they lost their settings. The roof didn't seem to know where the windows were and nothing much happened.
Worth a quick check.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

NamSam

Post by NamSam » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:38 pm

Again, Thank you for all your help. Today I had a bit more time, so removed the parcel shelf switch, cut off the micro switch striped the wires and wound them together. When in the car the button them operated the unlocking of the roof, the dropping of the windows but the roof was not moving. I could hear the hydraulic motor wurring though! I checked out the motor and there seems to be an issue with my hydraulic release cable. So I held the switch on the motor (to let it have pressure) and operated the roof by the unlock button on my key. To my delight the roof now went down. After making sure this does not move again I went in the car and operated it a good 5 times with it going up and down every time! All that is left for me to do is to either buy a new switch of solder the connections properly! I would have had no idea it was this switch as I have never moved the parcel shelf before it has just gone randomly.

Thank you for all of your help, I am now very happy the issue has been resolved!

Many Thanks,
Sam.