Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Locked out of car

Wing07

Locked out of car

Post by Wing07 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:23 am

Hi all

Bit of a random issue

Upon returning back from work 6 days away.. my remote keyfob would not unlock the car.. neither would the key in the fob for the barrel on drivers door.. it seems my battery has drained so totally locked out.. has anyone come across this before.. spare key doesn't work either

Regards
2014 E89 28i Msport Alpine White.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Locked out of car

Post by buzyg » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:30 am

The key should still work in the lock it does not need the battery. Where is the spare key? That is most likely the easiest solution.

If your keys don't work in the lock then the ECU may have forgotten them. Never heard of that happening on a Z4. But can't think of another logical reason why they would not work. The transponder in the key is interrogated by the cars ECU when you start up. Not sure if it is when you try to open the door/boot.

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Locked out of car

Post by Scubaregs » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:43 am

Have you tried the manual key in the passenger door?

Manual key should work irrespective of battery condition I would have thought.

Member of AA/RAC etc? They should be able to get you in.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Locked out of car

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:00 pm

Grille out, pop the bonnet manually giving access to the jump points under the bonnet, connect power source and see how you get on with your fob when the car has power :thumbsup:

As said above, manual key blade should work in the door with or without power as it’s a mechanical, not electrical, prices so not sure why that’s not working.Is the barrel turning when using the key manually?

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Wing07

Locked out of car

Post by Wing07 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:19 pm

Thank for the suggestions

Neither key works and the barrel is turning.. away again until next week.. Will get the AA out my local independent has never heard of this.. only just got back from a 2500 mile euro trip so glad its done it now really and not in Northern italy
    Attachments
    20220703_171057.jpg
    20220703_171057.jpg (169.44 KiB) Viewed 790 times

N4LLY

Locked out of car

Post by N4LLY » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:23 pm

That does sound bizzare :?

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

RobbiZ4

Locked out of car

Post by RobbiZ4 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:38 pm

Wing07 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:19 pm Neither key works and the barrel is turning.
    That sounds strange! Do you use the Z4 key and not any from another BMW? :thumbsup:
    Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
    :ant:
    E89 Roof Maintenance
    viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
    viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Nictrix
    Lifer
    Lifer

Locked out of car

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:42 pm

Does your keyfob have a rechargeable battery or does it need a replacement battery?
    Depending on your cars spec some keyfobs batteries can be changed.
    Other option is to sit the keyfob on an electric toothbrush charger for a day and it could charge the fobs battery.
    E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Busterboo

Locked out of car

Post by Busterboo » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:33 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, Wing07. Like others, I suspect, I've just checked my manual key. Hope you solve your problem.
    Vidi, vici, veni

Zforbes

Locked out of car

Post by Zforbes » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:34 pm

Sounds like lack of use to me.

I tested mine a few weeks ago, I was leaving the car for a couple of weeks whilst in Spain, thought I'd make sure the central locking was working with the key just in case the battery was flat upon my return.

Couldn't get it working to begin with, flooded the lock with WD and turned many times before it started working again.

I guess that years of not being used caused it to be tight.

Worked for me and should work for the OP.
    E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

buzyg
    Legend
    Legend

Locked out of car

Post by buzyg » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:50 pm

Zforbes wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:34 pm Sounds like lack of use to me.

I tested mine a few weeks ago, I was leaving the car for a couple of weeks whilst in Spain, thought I'd make sure the central locking was working with the key just in case the battery was flat upon my return.

Couldn't get it working to begin with, flooded the lock with WD and turned many times before it started working again.

Good old WD. Should have thought of that one. Lets hope that sorts it for the OP :)

Zforbes

Locked out of car

Post by Zforbes » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:12 pm

buzyg wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:50 pm
    Zforbes wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:34 pm Sounds like lack of use to me.

Good old WD. Should have thought of that one. Lets hope that sorts it for the OP :)
    I'm confident, thought I had the wrong key for a while, after 10 minutes of wiggling it was sorted. :thumbsup:

WD is the answer to the world's biggest problems :rofl:

Wing07

Locked out of car

Post by Wing07 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:42 pm

Away working again at the moment as I say the key turns clockwise and anti clockwise on both sets but won't unlock the car.. Will get AA out next week when back and if they are unable to do anything will go down the route of removing grill to gain access to bonnet latch so I can connect power.. just seem totally bizarre to me its left every week for 6 days as HGV tramper and never any issues in 4 years of ownership.. Will update thread as and when I get ro the bottom.. thanks again for the responses and suggestions

Zforbes

Locked out of car

Post by Zforbes » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:18 pm

Wing07 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:42 pm Away working again at the moment as I say the key turns clockwise and anti clockwise on both sets but won't unlock the car.. Will get AA out next week when back and if they are unable to do anything will go down the route of removing grill to gain access to bonnet latch so I can connect power.. just seem totally bizarre to me its left every week for 6 days as HGV tramper and never any issues in 4 years of ownership.. Will update thread as and when I get ro the bottom.. thanks again for the responses and suggestions
    Have you lubricated the lock?

Actuates when the key is about 90 Deg either way.

Wing07

Locked out of car

Post by Wing07 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:31 pm

Afternoon All

Thanks for the suggestions again from everyone..

Got back to the yard today and flooded the keyhole with lubricant and after about 20mins of turning the door eventually unlocked. Happy days. Connected jump leads and wudnt start initially but left them connected for 10 mins or so and eventually started wanted to cut out but held the revs until idle achieved.. battery warning light was on stating discharge whilst stationery or something to that effect.. went out after a while.. decided to replace battery as it was the original from new and my local indy had one in stock so all sorted👍

Just to note that also on removing the kidney grill there is no direct access to the bonnet catch as attempted this aswell.

Thanks again for all the suggestions