Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is it possible to look up exactly what packages/tech a car has?

Discussing the current generation Z4
daniel_c

Post by daniel_c » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:41 am

Hi all, my first post here! Daniel from Sweden, currently looking for a G29!

You can skip this part:
I currently have a Mercedes SLC, which I like, but the outdated interior, as well as lack of tech and gadgets, is really getting to me. My car doesn't even have power-foldable mirrors. No touch screen (and a low-res, small 7'' screen), no electric seats, no adaptive cruise control, no keyless go/entry, no nothing. I've started seriously considering the Z4, as width all it's tech and gadgets on offer, it's really the polar opposite, and, being the tech-crazy person I am, it all excites me more than I'd care to admit. Don't judge me!

The main problem:
I'm looking for a used car. The dealerships here seldomly know much about the used cars they sell. In their online ads, they list the evident stuff and kinda what they think the car has, and denounce any responsibility for presenting accurate information - it's completely up to the buyer to make sure they know what they are getting.

I've watched and read more or less every single review of the new Z4, I know exactly what gadgets and tech is offered, but the packages are a nightmare. They also very between markets, meaning it's very hard to see exactly what a car comes equipped with.

What I'm really asking:
The dream would be a site where you could enter the cars VIM, and it would basically show you what the car DOESN'T have. Is there such a thing? Are there any decent sites that can provide a comprehensive overview of the included equipment for a given car? Just getting a hide list of codes won't help me much, I went through this with Mercedes already. I had to find a car that was as fully equipped as possible, list all the codes, then cross-reference them with the data card of the car I would be interested in, check what codes were missing, and then google them individually. It was a nightmare, until I started learning them by heart.

There has to be a better way?

Some equipment is easy to determine - for example, adaptive cruise control is evident by the buttons on the steering wheel. But looking at a dealership ad with pictures and access to the VIM, how do I see of the car for example has the active parking assistent, or the more powerful 12-speaker audio system, for example?

Do you have any tips?

Thanks for your time! Hopefully my next post on this forum will be as an actual owner, and not just as a seemingly lazy Merc spy :D

Schaef

Post by Schaef » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:28 am

Hello Danial, welcome and you can ask the dealer to print a compleet document of the car.
I did that also to check what options the car that i had in mind to buy.
BMW work with numbers and those numbers you can find on internet too see what they mean.

ori

Post by ori » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:52 pm

If you get the vin number there are plenty of sites that will decide it for you and give a complete spec. I actually think there is a bmw one!?!?

You’re like me. You want to make sure it has the packages.
Depending on the model, but on the m40i you would want tech, comfort and driver assistance pack to give you most of the toys.

On 30i I believe it’s comfort plus rather than just comfort.

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:14 pm

Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum.

About your question, as ori mentioned, there are many BMW vin decoder website. Just google it. All you need is the VIN number of the car then it will tell you what that specific car has. However, in terms of what the car doesn't have, there isn't such website. You may need to do some homework yourself. Since you are from Sweden, the specification/packages may be different than UK market. So you will need to figure out what is offered in your market from Sweden BMW website (online configurator or spec sheet etc.). Then, based on the vin decoder, you will know what the car has and doesn't have.

Hope this answers your question.

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:30 pm

Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048