Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bluetooth stopped working (also sat nav is rubbish)

Ledg

Post by Ledg » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:53 am

The bluetooth connection has stopped working, ive tried deleting both phones from the car and also making both phones forget the connection so I can start from new, but neither iPhone will find the car or the car find them when I go on add new device. Pretty sure this all started while on holiday and I put the car in valet mode for a hotel we stopped in for a night. when activating my profile again it said acting bluetooth and wifi but the phones didn't connect to the car after that. does anyone have any ideas? or know if there is a way to force the car to reset the computer to see if that works
Last edited by Ledg on Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ledg

Bluetooth stopped working

Post by Ledg » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:57 am

on a different note as well, does anyone else thing the sat nav is pretty s**t, I don't know if its recent thing (ive updated the maps to the latest version), but it seems determined to send us down the narrowest roads it can find, even when its clearly shorter and faster stopping on the main road.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:59 pm

It may sound obvious and apologies if already done but, have you checked the settings on the Sat Nav, such as fastest route, shortest route, avoiding tolls etc? Can make a big difference to the routes selected.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

ori

Post by ori » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:49 pm

Have you tried switching Bluetooth off and then back on again in the idrive settings?

Also, with the nav, check the settings for route options.

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:18 am

I personally think the iDrive 7 satnav is actually quite smart. I have two iDrive 7 cars. For the same destination, two satnav will use two different routes and the route chosen by the bigger car is wider than the one chosen by the Z4.

As other has said, check the route criteria settings. However, one thing to keep in mind is that the fastest route may require many diversions due to traffic conditions. What I find is that the original route planning is smart but after multiple diversions (each of them claims to save several minutes), the route condition can become unsuitable (e.g too narrow, too bumpy etc.) to the car if all the main road options have heavy traffic. This end up costs me more time to get to the destination as I can't drive at 60mph on those road but the satnav think I can. :headbang: :headbang:

Ian J

Post by Ian J » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:48 am

Ledg wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:57 am on a different note as well, does anyone else thing the sat nav is pretty s**t, I don't know if its recent thing (ive updated the maps to the latest version), but it seems determined to send us down the narrowest roads it can find, even when its clearly shorter and faster stopping on the main road.
I agree that it's not very good and I prefer to use Google Maps via Android Auto which is far better (and shows speed cameras too)

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:19 am

There is an option in the sat nav to give the shortest distance route instead of the quickest. This gives rise to quirky side streets etc.

I fell foul of it when my car decided to use it as default one time, I don’t know why but it’s OK now after resetting.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

Ledg

Post by Ledg » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:17 pm

got my bluetooth working again, turns out if you push and hold the power button on the radio for 30 seconds, then turn it back on again this does a reboot of the computer. this solved that problem and both phones found the car and work fine again.

As for the sat nav, ive changed the preference to most economical route, this seems a bit better but it still has questionable ideas. we ended up getting the map book out (we was in Cornwall) and checking the roads it was going to send us down before setting off. Wish the satnav had an option to avoid minor roads where possible like it does for motorways, tolls etc... Even better would be if the old Bmw route planner still worked where you could preplan a trip including which roads you wanted to go on and send it to the car, it was amazing for a road trip in the old e89 z4. the Bmw app on your phone doesn't even let you send multiple locations to the car, just one at once

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:03 pm

MyBMW app, whic replaced many of the old apps, can let you plan the route on your phone then send to car

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:40 pm

q96169we wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:03 pm MyBMW app, whic replaced many of the old apps, can let you plan the route on your phone then send to car
Does it let you put in way points, stops etc or just one destination?

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:52 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:40 pm
    q96169we wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:03 pm MyBMW app, whic replaced many of the old apps, can let you plan the route on your phone then send to car
    I think it only allow you to send one destination each time. What I usually do is sending multiple destination then switch between them or adding them as an extra stop in car. Not perfect but working alright.

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:00 pm

q96169we wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:52 pm
    Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:40 pm
    I think it only allow you to send one destination each time. What I usually do is sending multiple destination then switch between them or adding them as an extra stop in car. Not perfect but working alright.
    Cheers, I’ll give that a try :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)