Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre pressure sensors

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
deltasierra

Tyre pressure sensors

Post by deltasierra » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:18 pm

Hi I have a TPS light on, the old type that relies on wheel speed
How do I cancel it?. The button under the dash does not

Tyres are 225-40x18 front 255-35x18 rear what pressures do I need to make the TPS work correctly

No other lights just the TPS

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Tyre pressure sensors

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:12 pm

Welcome to the forum by the way. :thumbsup:

It should reset whatever pressures you have in the tyres as it is only designed to detect changes in wheel speed rotation.

You probably need to look at any fault codes on the OBD. It might be a duff wheel speed sensor, but last month on my 2005 3 Series when I couldn't reset it a dying battery was the culprit. :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Tyre pressure sensors

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:23 am

Pump up tyres, push and hold to reset.

If that doesn't work you need a code reader.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Barty

Tyre pressure sensors

Post by Barty » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:42 am

Scooba_Steve wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:23 am Pump up tyres, push and hold to reset.

Just to add a small note to that:

Pump up tyres, push and hold (while stationary) until the light comes on to reset, then drive off. Light will switch off when the system has done its reset.
Four Alfa's and a Ducati later, I've turned to the dark side...
"Drive German, wear Italian, kiss French"

Z4: Tiefgrüen Metallic E86 3.0Si / Insta @bartsbuilds

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Tyre pressure sensors

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:32 pm

Barty wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:42 am Just to add a small note
:thumbsup: yes, what seems obvious to me might not be to the OP!
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

wiseguy

Tyre pressure sensors

Post by wiseguy » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:31 am

Scooba_Steve wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:23 am Pump up tyres, push and hold to reset.

Don’t buy a “Blue Driver” OBD scanner. It rarely detects faults in my bmw, even when dash lights are showing a fault.
2007 3.0SI Roadster leather/auto/Carver-Logic7
stereo system/xenons/sport/108s/ LeatherZ MK4 armrest/ Ultimate
Cupholders/ GROM BMW Mini 98-06 trunk USB Android iPhone car integration adapter kit

R.I.P. Dice Mediabridge 1500. 2010-2023.

colb

Tyre pressure sensors

Post by colb » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:11 am

If you are in the market for a code reader the Creator 310+ and their newest version Creator 410+ available on ebay and Amazon have proved to work rather well on our BMW's Z4 and Z3 over here in the UK. Not that expensive in the great scheme of things to get a reliable code reader.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Tyre pressure sensors

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:21 am

My book says you do the push and hold with the ignition at '2' until the light comes on, then start up and drive off.

NB. If you already have the red light on you need to push and hold until that is replaced with the amber one.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

SonnyA85

Tyre pressure sensors

Post by SonnyA85 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:05 am

Make sure all your tyres are at the correct pressure and the same across each axle and it should then go away using the reset procedure if it doesn't it could be the sensor needs replaced. Also make sure your pumps gauge is accurate by using another device to measure the tyres also. Could be your pumps gauge is faulty.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Tyre pressure sensors

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:35 am

SonnyA85 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:05 am Make sure all your tyres are at the correct pressure and the same across each axle and it should then go away using the reset procedure if it doesn't it could be the sensor needs replaced. Also make sure your pumps gauge is accurate by using another device to measure the tyres also. Could be your pumps gauge is faulty.
This is not relevant in the slightest to the E85.
There is no sensor!
The system simply calibrates to the rotational speed of each individual wheel and flags up if one changes.
You could have a completely different pressure in each tyre and once you calibrate the system it will accept that and only flag up if one changes.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Tyre pressure sensors

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:44 am

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:35 am
SonnyA85 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:05 am Make sure all your tyres are at the correct pressure and the same across each axle and it should then go away using the reset procedure if it doesn't it could be the sensor needs replaced. Also make sure your pumps gauge is accurate by using another device to measure the tyres also. Could be your pumps gauge is faulty.
This is not relevant in the slightest to the E85.
There is no sensor!
The system simply calibrates to the rotational speed of each individual wheel and flags up if one changes.
You could have a completely different pressure in each tyre and once you calibrate the system it will accept that and only flag up if one changes.
Beat me too it, I was also going to add it wouldn’t matter if the gauge was faulty, it would be out the same for each tyre unless the OP had a different pump for each wheel :P even so back to once calibrated matters not one bit about what pressure is in each tyre :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)