Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Carly: Reset brake pad service indicators

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:15 am

Hi All

The brake pads on my E89 were reaching end of life, and in fact I got the brake pad low warning indicator. I changed all pads and sensors Even though the service interval is set for 2000 miles in the future. I tried to reset using Carly and it won’t let me reset front or rear? I’ve not tried resetting using the buttons in car itself - will try that next.

Is it possible to reset the interval before the “time is up”?

Also - as an aside - I thought Carly would let me put electric parking brake in service mode - but that option is grayed out - is it just me? I had to resort to taking motor off and winding it back manually on each side.

Best
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:55 pm

ProfCJJ wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:15 am Also - as an aside - I thought Carly would let me put electric parking brake in service mode - but that option is grayed out - is it just me?
Unfortunately it doesn't work on our E89.
Motor can be moved i.e. with a 9V block battery. 8)
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Jakg

Post by Jakg » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:17 pm

I don't know about an E89 specifically, but on the E90 (which I think shares the same setup as the E89) you can do the reset from the OBC without any tools.
However, if it's tripped (and I'm not sure if this is the case if it hasn't), you need to actually swap the sensor (or at least swap to one with a different resistance) for it to actually reset.

ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:10 am

Thanks for the pointers everyone. I changed the sensor for the rear pads for a brand new one (the service interval for fronts has reset fine) and tried to reset again. Using both OBC and Carly - and it won’t reset - still shows 2000 miles until brake pads due. Not sure what else to do?!?

I tried cycling ignition a few times but didn’t go for a drive - perhaps it needs to see some movement to allow it to be reset? ( That doesn’t sound right to me but clutching at straws here! 🤷‍♂️)
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:08 am

Have you tried resetting it with the ebrake off
I'm sure I have read this before.
I reset the intervals on our old car but can't remember exactly what I did.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:25 am

I fitted new sensors but tied them back.
My rears are stuck on 2000 won't reset.
I just ignore it.
No annoying warnings.

It might reset when driven long enough for the first part of sensor to be triggered.
The system can then guess the wear rate based on mileage to trigger..
The second part of sensor i assume triggers the wear warning to replace.

ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:33 am

Nictrix wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:08 am Have you tried resetting it with the ebrake off
I'm sure I have read this before.
I reset the intervals on our old car but can't remember exactly what I did.
I have not tried that - but will try that next.

Cheers
---
Christopher

ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:34 am

flybobbie wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:25 am It might reset when driven long enough for the first part of sensor to be triggered.
The system can then guess the wear rate based on mileage to trigger..
The second part of sensor i assume triggers the wear warning to replace.
I thought that might be the case (although fronts seemed to reset themselves after some trying?!)

I will post any results I get :)

Thanks
---
Christopher

ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:05 am

Just to say that with the electronic parking brake OFF I was able to reset the rear pad wear indicator. (Just a note to say that if you keep your foot on the brake, even with EPB off it still won’t reset! I didn’t realise I had my foot on the brake subconsciously for the first few tries - foot off and success 😊)

Thanks for all the pointers

Cheers
---
Christopher