Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Check Engine and severe judder at idle

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:48 am

Smartbear wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:45 am
wanderer wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:21 am I'm not sure what you are saying.
Except to say that the roundabouts are still the same direction in my part of Ireland since Brexit.

We still have right hand drive cars. We still have roundabouts to the right. Nothing has changed.
Come on over. It's easier than France.
We don't require ANY changes to the headlamps or even to anything else.

100 years later, it's a really nice place!
You don’t need to undo any screws to remove the plastic engine cover, they just pull off :thumbsup:
Rob
:thumbsup:

Yes pondered the existence of these torx screws..the cover has a tab at the back so lift at the front then pull diagonally forward and up..other wise you can break the back tab..of course removing turbo related pipes first :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

PJR

Post by PJR » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:32 pm

Touching wood, and counting no chickens... but the job seems to be done and all appears to be working fine after a quick spin up and down the local bypass.

Could not get one of the hoses removed from the engine cover, but managed to work around that ok.

The old plugs all came out pretty easily and new ones seemed to go in fine, though when I torqued them from hand tight with the wrench they seemed to hit torque immediately, unless I miss understood the noise coming from the wrench.

The OBD code reader would not however clear the misfire code.

I was expecting the old coils to have been the original ones (2012 car with under 80,000 miles) but they didn’t have any branding on them at all and did not look like the Bosch ones I’ve now installed.

Thanks again everyone for fantastic advice and encouragement... as someone who is a pretty serious klutz with mechanical things it was a bit of a nerve wracking process, but fingers crossed it’s a job done!

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:55 pm

Without a decent code reader you are unlikely to understand what caused the fault …if it was a simple coil / plug fault then normally the engine check light out should reset on a restart..

I assume what you are saying is that the check engine light is off but the code remains in the DME and your cheap code reader can’t clear that code?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

PJR

Post by PJR » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:22 pm

Correct, engine light out now but code reader says it’s unable to clear the code.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:04 pm

PJR wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:22 pm Correct, engine light out now but code reader says it’s unable to clear the code.
So you may still have a fault…does it give you a code?

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:57 pm

PJR wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:32 pm Touching wood, and counting no chickens... but the job seems to be done and all appears to be working fine after a quick spin up and down the local bypass.

Could not get one of the hoses removed from the engine cover, but managed to work around that ok.

The old plugs all came out pretty easily and new ones seemed to go in fine, though when I torqued them from hand tight with the wrench they seemed to hit torque immediately, unless I miss understood the noise coming from the wrench.

The OBD code reader would not however clear the misfire code.

I was expecting the old coils to have been the original ones (2012 car with under 80,000 miles) but they didn’t have any branding on them at all and did not look like the Bosch ones I’ve now installed.

Thanks again everyone for fantastic advice and encouragement... as someone who is a pretty serious klutz with mechanical things it was a bit of a nerve wracking process, but fingers crossed it’s a job done!
You changed the coils & plugs and no more problem as experienced previously.
Car is driving as it should be. Great stuff!

Certain codes will survive a restart if not cleared manually. They become historical codes.
You never mentioned which code reader you purchased. It is entirely possible that it may not be able to clear codes or all codes.

However, drive more!