Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lots of codes lots of elec and sensor problems

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Rosesz4

Post by Rosesz4 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:08 am

I have a 03 z4 I just recently got in what I "thought"was a bargain deal. The Z4 has a salvaged title, but was still in decent shape compared to my GT that I traded it for. But now I have been having issues with her left and right. One thing after another. I have run the code test on the cluster and it has thrown several gibberish codes at me and I can't seem to find a legend of any sort online to dicifer the codes. Does anyone have a link available? One that would explain what the numbers all mean next to the test on the cluster. The main issue that I am having is my turn signals are working on the outside of the car, but not on the cluster. Also thr other night I got home shut the car off and the cluster lights stayed on around the speedometer and the rpm gouges and I had to disconnect my battery over night so it wouldn't drain it. I got up the next morning and the turn signal still didn't work on the cluster but the lights were off until I drove it throughout the day. Every other time I shut it off they would stay illuminated. So I would quick start on n off and they would go away. But every once in a while the alarm would start beeping at me as if the door and the key was in the on position. But none of that was done. I had to turn it on and off a few times before the alarm finally would stop. It driving me nuts that I can't hear my turn signal working when I use it. It makes me nervous like it's nit working on the outside of the car but it is. I just can't hear it clicking at me when it's in use.
Has anyone else had any of these issues? I previously owned a z3 about 5 years ago and don't recall having any of these issues at all. Maybe it's just my luck. But I really like this body style compared to the z3 and I don't want to get rid of this car. It's a good car. I hope it's a easy fix though. Times are tough and I'm running on a budget now days with the fuel prices the way they are.
Please help anyone.
Thanks
Rose 🌹
P.S. I personally own a OBDIi reader and have run all the codes from ABS to the DME and all other test and one ABS code is telling me 5E16 CAN Timeout Instrument Cluster. Does anyone have a better definition of what that means? And if it has something to do with my issues?
🌹 Rose

DMike

Post by DMike » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:37 am

Hi Rose and welcome to the forum! To me the symptoms you describe point to a dodgy CAN-bus connection, which could be just one of the modules corrupting all traffic. Several of the faults are related to the instrument cluster and first, I’d start by just checking it’s connection - there was a thread recently. Second, check battery and that battery terminals, as low voltage can cause all kinds of strange behaviour.
Re deciphering the codes: Having a more bmw-capable code reader would also help, now and in the future (as these cars aren’t getting younger). If you have a PC laptop, on ebay you’ll find bargains of OBD cable with INPA reader sw. Or perhaps another member could help with a reader.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

DMike

Post by DMike » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:41 am

Ps. While waiting for other members chiming in, take a look at the new members section. We like photos too :D
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:40 am

Old battery can cause all sorts of varied issue's, check battery age
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

grannyknot

Post by grannyknot » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:11 am

Hate to say it but it sounds like it might be a flood car and that would fit with a salvage title.
Flood cars are notorious for strange electronic glitches that have no rhyme or reason to them. I had a buddy pick up a flood car (Miata) from New Orleans after Katrina. It had many electrical gremlins so he ended up dismantling almost every electrical component, blowing it out with compressed air and contact cleaner, he solved most of the problems at least to the point it could be driven.
Did you get a Carfax with it?
2008 E86 M coupe
Toronto, Ontario

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:17 pm

markplant wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:40 am Old battery can cause all sorts of varied issue's, check battery age
Better off testing the battery capacity. Need a decent charger that also has various tests it can perform rather than just smart charging.

Mine has 4 different tests it can do on just the battery and then has further it can do for the alternator too.
grannyknot wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:11 am Hate to say it but it sounds like it might be a flood car and that would fit with a salvage title.
Flood cars are notorious for strange electronic glitches that have no rhyme or reason to them. I had a buddy pick up a flood car (Miata) from New Orleans after Katrina. It had many electrical gremlins so he ended up dismantling almost every electrical component, blowing it out with compressed air and contact cleaner, he solved most of the problems at least to the point it could be driven.
Warren Buffet buys storm or flood damaged cars on purpose he's that tight. Even though he could afford to buy a brand new lambo every day for the next 100 years.

grannyknot

Post by grannyknot » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:16 pm

SonnyA85 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:17 pm
markplant wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:40 am Old battery can cause all sorts of varied issue's, check battery age
Better off testing the battery capacity. Need a decent charger that also has various tests it can perform rather than just smart charging.

Mine has 4 different tests it can do on just the battery and then has further it can do for the alternator too.
grannyknot wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:11 am Hate to say it but it sounds like it might be a flood car and that would fit with a salvage title.
Warren Buffet buys storm or flood damaged cars on purpose he's that tight. Even though he could afford to buy a brand new lambo every day for the next 100 years.
I guess he can afford to have them repaired.
2008 E86 M coupe
Toronto, Ontario

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:57 pm

grannyknot wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:16 pm
SonnyA85 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:17 pm

I guess he can afford to have them repaired.
It's just so absurd. He has accumulated so much wealth yet not spent a penny of it. He probably spends less than an average wage per year. Yet he's been in and out of the richest man in the world for many years