Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie -issues re steering

First port of call for new members
eckithump

Post by eckithump » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:10 pm

Hello everyone, sorry to display my ignorance having only recently bought my first Z4 E85 2008 2.0i sport - a lovely car which drove well on the test drive but the longer it is driven, the worse the steering becomes !.
I Initially thought this may be tyre related, which was ruled out, however, worn lower front suspension bushes were detected and replaced and 4 wheel alignment was carried out.
Initially this appeared to improve the steering issues, however in the recent warm weather having been out and about using the car - the longer it is driven the worse the steering appears to be - with a tramline effect happening where the wheels appear to be following a certain path which then has to be adjusted with a slight jerky effect. I have read some of the forum entries and wondered whether this sort of handling was normal or indictative of other problems such as those outlined by others on the forum.
For example I have read of a solution where small adjustments are made to a collar ring on the steering column -- is this issue affecting all Z4's OR just those of a certain age ?

Any info would be useful please, I want to try and get this issue resolved so we can enjoy our purchase !!

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:46 pm

Hi mate

I’ve done several adjustments to the steering ring etc- happy to talk you through it or help if you are local

Transforms the drive once done!

Stuart
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

eckithump

Post by eckithump » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:31 pm

Thank you very much for getting back to me, I'd be grateful for any info or guidance you can give please

eckithump

Post by eckithump » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:34 pm

Ps. Just seen where you are from, I'm in the Selby area and would be happy to travel over to you if seeing it in person would be better ?

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:14 pm

Not an issue mate- pm me and we can arrange a day to pop down to ours
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

eckithump

Post by eckithump » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:17 pm

Big shout out of thanks to bigwinn ( Stuart ) jumped straight in to help us out and immediately offered assistance, which was gratefully received and very much appreciated. Thanks again

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:28 pm

Most excellent @Bigwinn :thumbsup:

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:33 am

N4LLY wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:28 pm Most excellent @Bigwinn
Indeed. This is what makes this forum stand out from the others. Nice one Stuart. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!