Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Need help with diagnosis on E89 roof and hydro pump

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
shawn0900

Post by shawn0900 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:00 pm

Hi all,

Had the roof stop working on me last week while trying to put it down using the switch in the car. Windows went down, back window went up, trunk unlocked, then nothing. Couldn’t see anything obvious like chafing of wires etc. Was not able to open the trunk lid so I slowly pulled the lid back enough to reach the luggage lid and check for proper seating. Seemed fine. I then pulled the emergency lid release. Poked around and did not see anything obvious. No hydraulic leaks and pump looked fine. No rust. Drove it to the dealer at slow speed.

Dealer says it’s maybe a micro switch. They change that out and are now telling me it’s a hall sensor and the hydro pump. I nearly passed out when they quoted me $4k for the pump unit part. They said the pump seems to be hydro locked. Possibly from me pulling up the trunk. They were not able to release the pressure on one side. This sounds suspicious to me. I could use some expert advice from someone who knows their way around these units. I’m a DIYer, but but I don’t have any data on these pumps. I see lots of hex screws, but don’t know what they do. I feel like it should be possible to drain out all the fluid and unlock it. I guess it could be a solinoid failure. I see three solidnoids on it. Are they testable and replaceable?

I also need a recommendation on a diagnosis tool for BMWs as my scanner is not able to read much. Amy help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:37 pm

The pump wont be hydrolocked.I have moved roof's manually to access the rear mech and hinges on a few occasions.

I have done a few Z4 roof problems and 9 times out of 10 its the microswitch on the hinges in the boot.

Diag wise.... Many people use carly,its a cheap enough thing to use. We use GT1 and Autel Maxisys 908,but they are more pro user stuff.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:39 pm

I would have a good search around this forum before dashing off and paying extortion money to have it fixed.
I bought a Foxwell NT520 pro reader http://www.foxwelltool.co.uk/wholesale/ ... gL7AvD_BwE
It allows you to see things switching in real time.
It also said there were several microswitch faults, when in fact there were non.
I ended up replacing the two salmon coloured relays next to the pump and all worked fine after.
I have taken some hall switches apart and cannot see how they would fail.
But more likely a connector or wire problem.
Try;
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=106166
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=113402
These were my two fixes when i had roof problems.

Tangogolf01

Post by Tangogolf01 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:34 pm

Hi, I’m new to the forum so near with me if the subject has been covered. I have an e89 with a folding hardtop that has suddenly stopped working. Took it to bmw the report a hydro pump failure and quote £2500 to replace?
I have sourced a refurbed unit on line from roof motors uk… has anybody bought from them? :)

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:08 pm

Tangogolf01 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:34 pm Hi, I’m new to the forum so near with me if the subject has been covered. I have an e89 with a folding hardtop that has suddenly stopped working. Took it to bmw the report a hydro pump failure and quote £2500 to replace?
I have sourced a refurbed unit on line from roof motors uk… has anybody bought from them? :)
For £800 against £2.5k I shouldnt think this needs any thinking about. Its a UK company so all your consumer rights apply - i would go ahead while they have one to sell. Saying that it might be worth removing the old one and having a look inside, might just need a clkean if its got a bit damp.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:20 pm

Just found one for £150 - pump and motor on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=39 ... 4129922855
Mark