Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Airbag light advice

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
robertboeke

Airbag light advice

Post by robertboeke » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:07 am

The airbag light has come one. I've tried clearing the code with DIS44 and INPA and I can see the light go out for a second and then come back on as the "error is currently present".

The codes I'm getting are:
sbsl 983e control module fault (this is causing the airbag light according to INPA)
sbsl 9858 control module fault (this alone would apparently not cause a warning light)

I think these errors mean I'll need a new sbsl control module (most likely used from ebay unless someone reading has one. Part code 6933985). Which will then need the vin setting using WinKFP, then will need coding to the car using SSS and then possibly another clearing of the errors using INPA/DISv44.

I've got most of the software (still need to find WinFKP), but just wanted to check whether anyone knows of anything else I should check before spending money and hours fixing this, or whether I'm missing any steps. Thanks.

colb

Airbag light advice

Post by colb » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:17 am

The codes relate to the left satellite module having an internal fault, as you have found out it won't clear the light as the fault is permanently present. Could be water ingress has caused this to happen. NCS Expert will code a replacement module ensure any replacement has the same part number as the duff one it replaces. Currently trying to sort a Z4 airbag light that wont go out replaced the main centre module as this was the one with an internal fault. Having problems getting the Vin number changed on the replacement using NCS Expert and Winfkp, hope you have better luck with yours.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

robertboeke

Airbag light advice

Post by robertboeke » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:30 pm

Anyone who stumbles across this. I got my airbag light cleared following this guide for the most part viewtopic.php?t=115539. Issues I had

- The spdaten files I had didn't include my zusb, so I had to locate the history to see which module replaced it and use that zusb. This can be found in data>sbsl85(or whatever module it is)>sbsl85.his. There will be something like this
6933985,6948087,00,HL
The first number is the old zusb, the second number is the one that replaces it.
- Getting tool32 to set the sytem time properly. I ended up using a different .sgbd file I'd got with some bimmer software I'd bought a while back (you can find different versions if you google and download different spdaten files).

I hope that helps someone, I've probably spent 15 hrs+ getting this sorted, but it was worth sticking at.