Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Future owner of stock car - year of ownership.

Discussing the current generation Z4
Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Future owner of stock car.

Post by Scubaregs » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:17 pm

Roadster_Surrey, Thanks. Yes sizes for winters/all seasons on 19's seem to be a problem. Local tyre place does the tyre hotel thing, but showing nothing in all seasons tyre wise for 19's.
I'm now leaning towards watching the weather and just buying a winter banger if it looks like being a bad winter and punting it on iin the spring.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Roadster_Surrey

Post by Roadster_Surrey » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:23 pm

Car doesn't detect 19 winter tyres automaticaly and when choosing them manualy, there are sizes up to 18. So only option is to choose "Winter" and "Other".

I survived last winter with roadster on summer tyres as my only car. It was good enough to buy Christmas tree :-) I think it snowed 3 times in early 2021, but I didn't have to drive anywhere on these days and due to Covid, I didn't travel to Europe either.

After reading more, I understand now, that 12V socket doesn't turn off in BMW, it's always live. A bit annoying, to unplug dashcam cable every time. I then forget to plug it back and drive without dashcam.

Roadster_Surrey

Post by Roadster_Surrey » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:10 pm

10 000 miles later and I'm happy with the car as daily. However at times, it would be useful to have a bit bigger car. I went for 4 weeks Euro-trip in May/June, took with me tent, inflatable kayak, all camping accessories and it was a bit tight. Stuff behind both seats, some in passenger footwell. On a way back, I put kayak on front seat to get some space in the boot for smaller items and shopping in Germany and Belgium.

Someone at campsite called it dream setup: tent, kayak and convertible.
Attachments
Mazury Lakes, Poland.
Mazury Lakes, Poland.
IMG_20220606_163006.jpg (257.79 KiB) Viewed 703 times
Sunset.
Sunset.
IMG_20220608_205821.jpg (94.93 KiB) Viewed 703 times

Roadster_Surrey

Post by Roadster_Surrey » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:13 pm

On 24th September was a year since the car was delivered. I did 14754 miles in one year and one day. That includes 3 Euro-trips and some driving around in UK.

Good things:
-surprisingly fuel efficient
-good enough tech for basic spec
-no mechanical issues
-reasonable space in the boot, good for Christmas tree hauling.
-drives better than SLK on hairpins.
-people think it looks great, got some compliments on it.

Bad:
-it's way too quiet after Abarth and whenever I drive to places, that I visited in Abarth, I miss it.
-there's some material/plastic rubbing on the headrest loop cover. I removed it on my last trip and annoying sound disappeared. I had to put it back for some photos and forgot to remove it again. If I'm really bored, I may contact BMW service.

As of now, I think, I will replace it with Abart 124 Spider, which Z4 replaced. I just miss exhaust sound too much. The mileage will go down a bit next year, as I got 4x4 car and will be using it for camping and for Euro-trips. Z4 will still be my daily, as 4x4 burns twice as much petrol (4l engine).
20220919_142047.jpg
20220919_142047.jpg (219.89 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Monte Splugo in Italy.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:51 pm

That's mighty impressive economy. :thumbsup:

Shame you aren't feeling the love enough and are considering swapping back to an Abarth Spyder, but maybe you could offer some thoughts on here:- viewtopic.php?t=137907
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ori

Post by ori » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:10 am

Don’t think the Abarth is a direct comparison. Much smaller car. Tiny boot.
I do like it though. Shame they don’t make it anymore.

Roadster_Surrey

Post by Roadster_Surrey » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:55 am

Yes, Abarth is much smaller and boot is half the size of Z4. It's not as sofisticated as Z4, but I can't think if any other car that's fun and noisy. I had SLK55 before and it sounded nice, but rear was way too light and front too heavy.

I accepted the fact, that I won't be owning any brand new cars again, because there's simply nothing I want.

ori

Post by ori » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:10 pm

Roadster_Surrey wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:55 am Yes, Abarth is much smaller and boot is half the size of Z4. It's not as sofisticated as Z4, but I can't think if any other car that's fun and noisy. I had SLK55 before and it sounded nice, but rear was way too light and front too heavy.

I accepted the fact, that I won't be owning any brand new cars again, because there's simply nothing I want.
Stick and aftermarket exhaust on the g29. ;)

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:35 pm

ori wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:10 pm
Roadster_Surrey wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:55 am Yes, Abarth is much smaller and boot is half the size of Z4. It's not as sofisticated as Z4, but I can't think if any other car that's fun and noisy. I had SLK55 before and it sounded nice, but rear was way too light and front too heavy.

Roadster_Surrey,

Really funny thing, I have felt from the very start that the M40 was quiet, but others, particularly behind me, say the sound is amazing and they love it. I’m with ori, re the aftermarket one, it may well be at the top of my mods list for my next one :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Roadster_Surrey

Post by Roadster_Surrey » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:11 pm

It's a leased car, so no point in modifying it.

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:03 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:35 pm
    ori wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:10 pm

Roadster_Surrey,

Really funny thing, I have felt from the very start that the M40 was quiet, but others, particularly behind me, say the sound is amazing and they love it. I’m with ori, re the aftermarket one, it may well be at the top of my mods list for my next one :thumbsup:
    I find the same. I feel it's not loud enough when driving the car (both top up or down) but my wife sometimes follows me behind always says it's very loud and it's loud enough so that she forbids me to modify the exhaust. :headbang:

ori

Post by ori » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:10 am

q96169we wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:03 am
    Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:35 pm
    ori wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:10 pm Stick and aftermarket exhaust on the g29. ;)
    Roadster_Surrey,

I find the same. I feel it's not loud enough when driving the car (both top up or down) but my wife sometimes follows me behind always says it's very loud and it's loud enough so that she forbids me to modify the exhaust. :headbang:
    So reality is the g29 is built well enough to insulate the noise inside the cabin and give it a lovely noise outside.

Top down I find the noise lovely though. ;)

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:48 pm

ori wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:10 am
    q96169we wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:03 am
    Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:35 pm Roadster_Surrey,

So reality is the g29 is built well enough to insulate the noise inside the cabin and give it a lovely noise outside.

Top down I find the noise lovely though. ;)
    With the roof up, the exhaust sound is sort of muted due to the sound isolation. The artificial engine noise from the speaker makes it even worse. When the roof down, depending on the speed, the wind noise will cover up the exhaust sound. What I want is to keep accelerating while I still can hear the exhaust sound in the car.

Nanu
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Nanu » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:10 pm

I can't understand the craving for engine noise. Every time my wife hears a noisy car no matter what it is she says, "Just another boy racer. They will be putting go faster stripes on it next"

I prefer just to be less noisy and accelerate past with style
    G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
    E89 35is Valencia Orange
    E89 28i Crimson
    E89 25i White

Roadster_Surrey

Post by Roadster_Surrey » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:11 pm

I like noisy exhausts, but not in Corsas or similar. And it must be decent sound.

I even have collection of exhaust sounds of different cars I had and listen to them from time to time.