Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Airbag recoding B pillar right

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
XSSammy

Post by XSSammy » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:57 am

I'm looking for guidance from any INPA/WINFKP experts on here.

I've been getting a fault from my Airbag B Pillar Right module so I bought a replacement with the exact same part number from eBay. However when I look in INPA the part number reported for the new module doesn't match the part number on the label. Is this common if the airbag module has been re programmed previously or have I been sold a dud?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the sunny weather is here and I still have no MOT :cry:

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:27 am

sometimes its a matter of luck but i would say it needs to be programmed in.
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

XSSammy

Post by XSSammy » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:53 am

One step forward two backwards. Anyone ever seen error code 98D1? Is my door airbag misbehaving?
Screenshot 2022-06-21 084732.png
Screenshot 2022-06-21 084732.png (8.03 KiB) Viewed 471 times

colb

Post by colb » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:04 am

Translation is Short circuit or open circuit to satellite airbag module on the right side of the car, may be due to water ingress or a short in the wiring or on the internal pcb. If you get a used module with same part number it will need coding to your car so it takes on your Vin Number and its system start time will also need to be coded in. This can be done using BMW software like NCS Expert and WinKPF, also Tool 32 which comes with the INPA suite of software you can buy on ebay, BCables is the seller I used. Once its all loaded on a laptop its a matter of finding your way around the system workings. Currently I am trying to solve a Z4 main airbag replacement module that did not code the Vin when it was coded using NCS Expert. It came up with a code for incorrect Vin number and the airbag light stays on until this is put right. Have been playing with Tool32 to change the Vin number when we next have a go at fixing this, it will also need the system start time coded using Tool32. Trouble is Tool32 is all in German so its a bit of a chore finding the right programme within Tool32 to do what you want to do.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

XSSammy

Post by XSSammy » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:56 am

I finally fixed this for anyone who finds this thread. My old module and replacement module were throwing all sorts of spurious errors in the 98xx range and they weren't consistent between the modules. I bit the bullet and bought a third used module from eBay. This time it all worked a charm following the guide from TomR for re-coding to the vin etc.

N.B
  • Have the ignition on to flash the unit with winKFP
  • If you don't get the error code 98AB (in inpa this is the incorrect chassis number fault for my module) when you connect the new module then don't bother trying to recode it as it will not work

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:15 pm

3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics