Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retro fit heated seats into non loom car

Submit How-To's here and the moderators will allocate them to the appropriate section
bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Retro fit heated seats into non loom car

Post by bigwinn » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:56 pm

I've just done this to my Jan 05 build 2.2 and thought I'd write it up for reference

Big thanks to Rob
zulu4
for all his help and guidance

The car had non heated M Sport seats which I've refurbished and fitted generic heating pads from eBay to. As they aren't selling I thought what the hell lets pop them back in the car and see if we can wire them up properly.

If fitting factory heat pad seats then there will be additional steps to cut the loom in but the principles will remain the same.

I used this guide here to point me in the right direction:

viewtopic.php?t=128827

This retrofit guide really helped get my head around how simple it is to do

https://www.keepandshare.com/doc2/11930 ... n=y&dnad=y

And this wiring diagram was superb
Screenshot 2022-06-20 at 21.53.56.png
Screenshot 2022-06-20 at 21.53.56.png (79.85 KiB) Viewed 456 times
They pointed me to needing a few bits, which made the job easier but not essential as there are ways of cutting into looms/connectors etc.

From eBay for £6 "Wiring Set" 61116930656- which gave me the main power cable and plug that sits behind the main switches
From eBay a heated switch set £35
From the forum a set of loom plugs from a scrapper car- I didn't use these in the end but it helped me picture stuff
From eBay some 10k thermistors
Various connectors etc from the garage

First- I ran the power cable from the relevant plug in the fuse panel and checked the fuse (F16) was in place. From pin 1 on the pink plug X11004. That ran to the brown multiplug behind the switches in the console (A169)

Opening the plug up (the black cover slides off to allow new pins to be inserted) the power cable then popped into hole 7. I'd ascertained that the wires I had from the breaker car loom would fit OK and I lined up cables running to the seat area for:

Drivers seat power and thermistor power (2 cables) from the brown plug from pins 1 and 20 (coloured green/yellow and white/blue respectively)
Passenger seat power and thermistor power from the brown plug from pins 13 and 21 (coloured green/violet and white/green respectively)
A common earth each side running to the earth point at the fuse box which would service the negative of each seat pad and the negative side of the thermistor for each seat

I popped the thermistors into the seats near the pads and ran all the wiring under the carpets and through the centre console.

Once all connected I have to admit I expected a flashing green light on the switch or a quiet pop of a fuse, but no: it all worked swimmingly!

If anyone needs guidance in future drop me a line and I will do what I can to assist!

Cheers

Stuart
IMG_5327.jpeg
IMG_5327.jpeg (148.88 KiB) Viewed 456 times
existing switch compared to the breaker loom
IMG_5428.jpeg
IMG_5428.jpeg (155.76 KiB) Viewed 456 times
IMG_5429.jpeg
IMG_5429.jpeg (164.44 KiB) Viewed 456 times
IMG_5452.jpeg
IMG_5452.jpeg (168.69 KiB) Viewed 456 times
IMG_5453.jpeg
IMG_5453.jpeg (151.13 KiB) Viewed 456 times
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me