Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I know it’s been discussed but… BMW insured warranty for 35is - yes or no?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Dazza4

Post by Dazza4 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:37 pm

Stuartt wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:15 am When I bought mine the guy renewed the warranty in my name and I’ve kept it up since.

Used it once for an active shock leak and a micro switch on the roof, no problems at all just paid the £250 excess.

It’s worth every penny if you ask me.

Stuart
Cheers :thumbsup:
E89 35is, Melbourne Red
E89 28i Gone
Tesla M3
F82 M4 Gone

Dazza4

Post by Dazza4 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:40 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:37 am I have a couple of questions about this warranty lark:

After the first year, does the premium go down if you haven't claimed (like a NCB), or up because the mileage is higher and the car is older?

I presume at some age or mileage they will refuse to cover the car, as the risk is too high. Is this the case and if so, when?

Do you pay the full excess no matter what the claim is for? I'm thinking about roof microswitches, these ae £16 each retail and take about an hour to fit.
Good questions. I bet you don’t get a discount if there is no claim in a 12 month period. As you say, mileage goes up…
E89 35is, Melbourne Red
E89 28i Gone
Tesla M3
F82 M4 Gone

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:14 pm

For me it's a no...

All depends how competent you are with fault finding and fixing minor faults yourself. The vast majority of parts on any E89's are the same, the 35is is a bit more complex but major problems are generic imo.

Saying that, if you get the type of expensive failure like the shockers then you my win on overall costs.

Don't forget though any kind of insurance always earns more than it pays, that is their business.

If you're the type that uses main stealers for an issues you have then probably worth paying the premium. :thumbsup:
E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

ori

Post by ori » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:52 pm

I always had a warranty from bmw. I think they are well worth it.

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:19 am

Dazza4 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:40 pm
Pondrew wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:37 am I have a couple of questions about this warranty lark:

After the first year, does the premium go down if you haven't claimed (like a NCB), or up because the mileage is higher and the car is older?

I presume at some age or mileage they will refuse to cover the car, as the risk is too high. Is this the case and if so, when?

Do you pay the full excess no matter what the claim is for? I'm thinking about roof microswitches, these ae £16 each retail and take about an hour to fit.
Good questions. I bet you don’t get a discount if there is no claim in a 12 month period. As you say, mileage goes up…
Mine didn’t go up after the first claim and has stayed the same for the last two years. I’m on 57k miles and bought on 50k
I’m expecting a big rise when I hit 60k

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:18 am

I took a 3 year full warranty no excess with warranty direct 3 years ago for £1100 (for 3 years).
It expires 16th June (3 days) and I am in to them for nearly £8500! The car is also going in today for a new radiator and heater blower motor as well as a water pump check as it is buzzing a bit.
The rad and fan motor alone are £900 with fitting - easy DIY if you needed to but still expensive.
So I would say yes to a warranty, BMW is your only option if your car is over ten years old regardless..
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Dazza4

Post by Dazza4 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:47 pm

Chippie wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:00 am Any warranty is a gamble over money paid in and claims paid out, If you can afford a £2000 bill then it may be worth not having the warranty, if you can’t then the warranty will give you piece of mind, the 35 can be expensive to run with known injector, fuel pump, water pump, etc issues, although you don’t have to use main dealer for repairs so a local independent will be cheaper plus no excess to pay on a claim. if it’s a weekend low mileage toy then you may be lucky and not spend much on it, if you’re clocking up the miles then who knows.
Cheers Chippie
E89 35is, Melbourne Red
E89 28i Gone
Tesla M3
F82 M4 Gone

MikeZ4man

Post by MikeZ4man » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:07 pm

Peace of mind really with manufacturer type warranties. I renewed mine on my 35iS in April at £440 with £100 excess. I've not had to claim (yet) but thought it worth the money compared to Porsche manufacturer warranties I've had at around £1000 (no excess) but they are bullet proof warranties and do pay out versus a Peugeot warranty I had on my Pug grocery getter at around £350 and they don't pay out unless the car has completely failed and the part has fallen off!
Z4 35iS, Porsche Cayenne 4.5S, Harley Davidson Fatboy

9designs

Post by 9designs » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:52 am

It’s a no from me, plus I have had to do the dampers. Which in the end I was pleased not to have the warranty. BMW wanted to charge around I think 1600 quid to fit ONE new damper, which is what they would have done under warranty. Sorry but I lost all respect for them suggesting to replace one 75k old damper. You should replace in pairs, at that age they had to be worn.
So I found a complete set in Germany, used parts company, which were as new having done one kilometre and replaced all 4 for not much more, plus I replaced rubbers and new top mounts, done at an independent.

Most of the iS is not unique, so the question is more would you pay for a warranty on a used car of any type. I like my cars to be maintained and fixed how I want, not the cheapest way a warranty company can get away with.
57 Plate 3.0 Si Auto SilverGrey - Red Leather
E89 35iS Space Grey - Red Leather. SOLD
56 Plate 3.0 SI Manual - Black with Red Leather- Scorpion exhaust, BC coil overs SOLD
54 Plate 3.0 SE Auto - Silver with Red Leather. SOLD

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:45 pm

9designs wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:52 am It’s a no from me, plus I have had to do the dampers. Which in the end I was pleased not to have the warranty. BMW wanted to charge around I think 1600 quid to fit ONE new damper, which is what they would have done under warranty. Sorry but I lost all respect for them suggesting to replace one 75k old damper. You should replace in pairs, at that age they had to be worn.
So I found a complete set in Germany, used parts company, which were as new having done one kilometre and replaced all 4 for not much more, plus I replaced rubbers and new top mounts, done at an independent.

Most of the iS is not unique, so the question is more would you pay for a warranty on a used car of any type. I like my cars to be maintained and fixed how I want, not the cheapest way a warranty company can get away with.
If you are happy to keep your car stock and use the warranty to avoid spending on replacement parts it works great..if you want to update things when you want to do them or replace OE parts with upgraded parts then it’s not for you..

Yes E89s are mostly parts bin exercises but there are unique items, adaptive dampers, rear EFBs, tail and headlights, most if the bodywork, roof etc etc..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:02 am

mcbutler wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:18 am I took a 3 year full warranty no excess with warranty direct 3 years ago for £1100 (for 3 years).
It expires 16th June (3 days) and I am in to them for nearly £8500! The car is also going in today for a new radiator and heater blower motor as well as a water pump check as it is buzzing a bit.
The rad and fan motor alone are £900 with fitting - easy DIY if you needed to but still expensive.
So I would say yes to a warranty, BMW is your only option if your car is over ten years old regardless..
How many individual repairs has your car been in the garage for and how much did each repair cost you in excesses?
This has to be factored in for anybody to know the real cost, unless there was no excess on your warranty.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:21 pm

Nictrix wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:02 am
mcbutler wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:18 am I took a 3 year full warranty no excess with warranty direct 3 years ago for £1100 (for 3 years).
How many individual repairs has your car been in the garage for and how much did each repair cost you in excesses?
This has to be factored in for anybody to know the real cost, unless there was no excess on your warranty.
Hi Nic , no excess as stated in the post sir. Have not got time to go through all invoices but a shortened list would be.
DCT sump, gasket - oil - filters around £300 ish if I remember correctly.
New idrive screen - £2500
Full set of new BMW OE index 12 injectors and coding over £2k
New rad and fan blower motor £900
Several diagnostic sessions at £100 a pop
Rocker cover gasket £200ish
Etc
That warranty is hugely more expensive to buy now, a forum member got a Gupta and suggested my car was the reason for the price rise. So, on my next claim I asked how many 35i/is z4 they covered and it was only mine so I’m to blame lol.
Warranty direct have also been bought out by BNP Paribar
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:12 pm

Zforbes wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:14 pm For me it's a no...

All depends how competent you are with fault finding and fixing minor faults yourself. The vast majority of parts on any E89's are the same, the 35is is a bit more complex but major problems are generic imo.

Saying that, if you get the type of expensive failure like the shockers then you my win on overall costs.

Don't forget though any kind of insurance always earns more than it pays, that is their business.

If you're the type that uses main stealers for an issues you have then probably worth paying the premium. :thumbsup:
Actually insurance companies make next to nothing from insurance.

It's an extremely competitive market with a lot of players.

They make money from investments not their customers. Their customers are just a way of raising capital for zero interest.

It's a common misconception that they are so rich and powerful because they make a lot of money from insurance but that's just smoke and mirrors. They make money off of property and markets.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:13 pm

SonnyA85 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:12 pm Actually insurance companies make next to nothing from insurance.
They must be in the wrong business, then! :roll:
I'm getting straight on the phone to Aviva and forward your insight. I'm sure they will be grateful. :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Bombardino

Post by Bombardino » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:57 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:13 pm They make money off of property and markets
And the property market has done what in the last 20 years….