Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Shift Selector Change

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Shift Selector Change

Post by B21 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:39 pm

wanderer wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:30 pm
B21 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:19 pm
mcbutler wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:55 pm
I believe the older 'knobs' are also somewhat smaller, thinner and a bit floppy as well :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I’ve only fondled and caressed N20 ZF8HP and N54 DCT knobs…so couldn’t understand why Nick was so upset with his knob… :tumbleweed:

Now I see why he doesn’t like his knob… :rofl: :fuelfire:
tsk, tsk, tsk!

This is why i persisted in using the terms "gear shift" and "gear lever" thoroughout.

Anyway, how do you now "see why he doesn’t like his knob".
Have you fondled & caressed that too?

:rofl: :rofl: :fuelfire: :fuelfire:
I apologise for being drawn into an unnecessarily base set of comments…

It was unbecoming…

But it does not look like a very attractive ‘device’..I’d not realised that the ZF6HP box relied on a mechanical link to drive the box..given it has flappy paddles..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

wanderer

Shift Selector Change

Post by wanderer » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:11 pm

B21 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:39 pm
wanderer wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:30 pm
B21 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:19 pm I’ve only fondled and caressed N20 ZF8HP and N54 DCT knobs…so couldn’t understand why Nick was so upset with his knob… :tumbleweed:

Now I see why he doesn’t like his knob… :rofl: :fuelfire:
tsk, tsk, tsk!

This is why i persisted in using the terms "gear shift" and "gear lever" thoroughout.

Anyway, how do you now "see why he doesn’t like his knob".
Have you fondled & caressed that too?

:rofl: :rofl: :fuelfire: :fuelfire:
I apologise for being drawn into an unnecessarily base set of comments…

It was unbecoming…

But it does not look like a very attractive ‘device’..I’d not realised that the ZF6HP box relied on a mechanical link to drive the box..given it has flappy paddles..
HA!
Happy Saturday!

:D :D

Nick7602

Shift Selector Change

Post by Nick7602 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:04 pm

Hi Wanderer, have you fitted the gear selector?
BMW Z4, Porsche Cayman S, 2 x Audi TTS, 4 x BMW M3s, BMW M3 GT2 Ltd Ed, 1x BMW E30 M3 Cicotto edition, BMW E46 325 Sport, 2 x Mitsubishi Evo 6 GSRs, 3 x Imprezza P1s, 1 x 2005 Imprezza STI, 2015 Skoda Octavia VRS, 1x e36 318is, 1x e30 318is

wanderer

Shift Selector Change

Post by wanderer » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:28 pm

Nick7602 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:04 pm Hi Wanderer, have you fitted the gear selector?
Not yet. I did try to fit it a few nights ago but the connectors were confusing.

Today I'm trying to unbrick my ECU.
At the moment the gear selector is useless to me if the car won't start.

:(

wanderer

Shift Selector Change

Post by wanderer » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:59 pm

Nick7602,

I finally managed to swap out the ECU and CAS module and get the car functional again.

Before putting everything back again i decided to complete the gearshift change.
I used a small trim tool i have to lift the leather gear lever shroud up off the console. Do not use anything metal as it can damage your center console.
I connected it all up, tested functionality before finalising, taped all connectors with electical tape and reassembled.

This is the outcome:
2.jpg
2.jpg (105.36 KiB) Viewed 394 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (120.05 KiB) Viewed 394 times
My thoughts:
1) Although i mentioned that it was made of plastic and it does feels very light out of the box, after i installed it, it felt quite solid.
For various reasons above i haven't driven it more than about 50mtrs (to move the car to a differnt spot) as yet.

2) The wiring, at the connectors, does not seem especially hardy hene the reason i decided to tape them up.

3) When installed, you have both panels lighting up. The original one on the side of the gearshift and now the new one on the gearshift itself. This can be a bit confusing, and the original can be disconnected if you prefer.

4) As you can see from the pics, on the original panel, you have P, R, N, D in one contiguous motion. On the new one, park is at the very top on its own AND the green P LED sign is at the middle of the lower half. Very confusing indeed if looking at it. I'm sure i will get used to it over time though.

5) Other than that though i think it's aesthetically pleasing. The wife loves the look of it. The neighbour is most impressed and it brings the older cars in line with the newer models, so i'm all for it.

Nick7602

Shift Selector Change

Post by Nick7602 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:35 pm

Thats stunning, thank you so much for the description and your thought's which are really helpful, very very nice :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:
BMW Z4, Porsche Cayman S, 2 x Audi TTS, 4 x BMW M3s, BMW M3 GT2 Ltd Ed, 1x BMW E30 M3 Cicotto edition, BMW E46 325 Sport, 2 x Mitsubishi Evo 6 GSRs, 3 x Imprezza P1s, 1 x 2005 Imprezza STI, 2015 Skoda Octavia VRS, 1x e36 318is, 1x e30 318is

wanderer

Shift Selector Change

Post by wanderer » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:07 pm

Nick7602 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:35 pm Thats stunning, thank you so much for the description and your thought's which are really helpful, very very nice :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:
I will create a video to make it easier for anyone else as well.

I've driven it around the block since then because the neighbour wanted to check it out.

It looks good, feels good.
We noticed that the park LED on both the gearshift and the console panel remained on for a period of time. I'm not sure how long though. When we returned 2hrs later from a few beers at the local, I looked through the window and it was off.
Will need to investigate the timing of that.

What's your thoughts so far? Tempted to go for it?

Nick7602

Shift Selector Change

Post by Nick7602 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:54 pm

wanderer wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:07 pm
Nick7602 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:35 pm Thats stunning, thank you so much for the description and your thought's which are really helpful, very very nice :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:
I will create a video to make it easier for anyone else as well.

I've driven it around the block since then because the neighbour wanted to check it out.

It looks good, feels good.
We noticed that the park LED on both the gearshift and the console panel remained on for a period of time. I'm not sure how long though. When we returned 2hrs later from a few beers at the local, I looked through the window and it was off.
Will need to investigate the timing of that.

What's your thoughts so far? Tempted to go for it?
Oh yes definitely it adds to the style and look of the car which has got to be a good thing really, such a beautiful car needs quality upgrades imo

jenniferlouise

Shift Selector Change

Post by jenniferlouise » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:41 pm

I was contemplating swapping the ‘traditional’ gear shift on my 6-speed auto 23i to the ‘performance’ trimmed selector. Amazon state this is for the E90 only but I’ve seen elsewhere, probably in here, they fit the E89 too. But it’s £90, then you’ll need to factor to match the trim detail, adding another £80. This ‘upgrade’ option looks nice. Was there a particular make / company that’s recommended as there appears quite a few ‘brands’ on the market. I’d hate to buy cheap and find that, for example, I can’t get it out of Park

wanderer

Shift Selector Change

Post by wanderer » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:41 pm

jenniferlouise wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:41 pm I was contemplating swapping the ‘traditional’ gear shift on my 6-speed auto 23i to the ‘performance’ trimmed selector. Amazon state this is for the E90 only but I’ve seen elsewhere, probably in here, they fit the E89 too. But it’s £90, then you’ll need to factor to match the trim detail, adding another £80. This ‘upgrade’ option looks nice. Was there a particular make / company that’s recommended as there appears quite a few ‘brands’ on the market. I’d hate to buy cheap and find that, for example, I can’t get it out of Park
This is the one i got.
As mentioned above, it looks / feels cheap out of the box because it's not heavy and is made of plastic.
However, once installed it "just works".

There are a few small niggly problems but only noticeable if you are ocd like me.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/193058830547