Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Performance maps and insurance

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:39 am

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:18 am
mcbutler wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:05 am
tiglon wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:05 am In a fatal or very serious RTA where there is probability of criminal culpability I can believe they examine the ECU - at least occasionally, if they have the man power that week and if they can be bothered, and especially if the case has been in the media.

As for whether you should tell your insurance company about a remap? I can't see any reason not to. It cost me a small admin fee and one long painful conversation trying to explain that a remap is not a chip.
Solid addition to the thread - agreed
This is interesting with my renewal coming up..I always declare my mods but on all the comparison sites it always say in the engine modifications section something along the lines of "chipped engine" or chipped ecu cant quite remember which you never actually see the words engine remap on any of these sites so thats the box I always check..this year its something like £65 difference when i check that box which seems harsh for a small bhp bump on a n/a car ..I'm debating not declaring it at purchase and then calling the next day to have a conversation and seeing how the diffence stacks up in terms of possibly just a small admin fee being put on
Another option Steve is to go through the quote saying no, them when it give you the price it normally says something like take me too or call insurer to discuss details and at that point say the car is not chipped, clicking that box would’ve been technically incorrect so your phoning to make them aware of remap and see if it bumps the premium. If not buy it there and then as your conversation linked to what’s done to your car is recorded incase of any further issues. Worth a punt :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

mr.tourette
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:42 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:39 am
    mcbutler wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:05 am Solid addition to the thread - agreed
    This is interesting with my renewal coming up..I always declare my mods but on all the comparison sites it always say in the engine modifications section something along the lines of "chipped engine" or chipped ecu cant quite remember which you never actually see the words engine remap on any of these sites so thats the box I always check..this year its something like £65 difference when i check that box which seems harsh for a small bhp bump on a n/a car ..I'm debating not declaring it at purchase and then calling the next day to have a conversation and seeing how the diffence stacks up in terms of possibly just a small admin fee being put on
    Another option Steve is to go through the quote saying no, them when it give you the price it normally says something like take me too or call insurer to discuss details and at that point say the car is not chipped, clicking that box would’ve been technically incorrect so your phoning to make them aware of remap and see if it bumps the premium. If not buy it there and then as your conversation linked to what’s done to your car is recorded incase of any further issues. Worth a punt :thumbsup:
    Yep thats exactly what I was thinking mate,I'll declare all bar the remap then call around the best few quotes and see what it then costs to add the remap
    if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Nictrix
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:01 am

I wonder how many people have bought cars that were previously remapped and they dont know about it.
    How can you tell your insurance company your car has been remapped if you dont know.
    E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:13 am

Nictrix wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:01 am I wonder how many people have bought cars that were previously remapped and they dont know about it.
    How can you tell your insurance company your car has been remapped if you dont know.
    I’ve thought about this before and since it’s seems to be the common consensus that a map can be easily discovered by hooking up to a computer if this was to happen I’m confident that the original remap would’ve left a discoverable time and date stamp showing it was before my ownership. I’d argue the previous owner hadn’t told me and I don’t have the knowledge or hardware to know how to access this information

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

B21
      Lifer
      Lifer
      Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:26 am

Nictrix wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:01 am I wonder how many people have bought cars that were previously remapped and they dont know about it.
      What if you bought a used vehicle and don’t know if it’s been modified?

You have an obligation to answer Insurers’ questions honestly to the best of your knowledge and belief. If you didn’t know the lights weren’t the standard specification or that the previous owner had to pay for the heated windscreen option, this would be unlikely to cause an issue in the event of a claim. If, however the car had a spoiler or artwork, it would be difficult to argue that you thought it was the norm. Our advice would be if in doubt, ask your Insurer.

What would happen in the event of a claim if I didn’t disclose a modification?

This would depend upon the circumstances. If your failure to disclose vehicle modifications is judged to be deliberate and reckless, Insurers are within their rights to avoid payment of claims and treat your insurance as invalid.

If the disclosure is deemed to not be deliberate, but the Insurers can prove they would have charged an additional premium for the risk, they are able to proportionately reduce the settlement of any claim to reflect this.
      We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
      A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:35 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:13 am
      I’ve thought about this before and since it’s seems to be the common consensus that a map can be easily discovered by hooking up to a computer if this was to happen I’m confident that the original remap would’ve left a discoverable time and date stamp showing it was before my ownership. I’d argue the previous owner hadn’t told me and I don’t have the knowledge or hardware to know how to access this information
      There's usually no way of telling when it was done but every ECU is different and there's lots of different ways of applying maps that all have different methods.

I can only talk to the N54 with any certainty regarding if the map is discoverable and what mark it leaves in the DME.
      There's no timestamp for when the DME has been mapped since remapping tools don't update the UIF field. The only way of telling if the ECU has been mapped is for someone to read out the EEPROM from the ECU and look at the hex data and compare it with the original. Some tuners leave a text signature in the code so it's possible that a crash investigator can find that in the binary but usually those signatures are just revision numbers of the tune.

Most of these forensic analysts would just rely on the manufacturer built-in remap detection which is quite often patched out. To retrieve and interrogate the binary like I mentioned above, they would need a very high degree of familiarity with that exact DME which is not likely given the sheer volume of different ECU programs out there.

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:01 pm

tiglon wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:05 am In a fatal or very serious RTA where there is probability of criminal culpability I can believe they examine the ECU - at least occasionally, if they have the man power that week and if they can be bothered, and especially if the case has been in the media.

As for whether you should tell your insurance company about a remap? I can't see any reason not to. It cost me a small admin fee and one long painful conversation trying to explain that a remap is not a chip.
      Literally trying to renew my policy right now. My current insurer Direct Line are now declining my car despite insuring it before, so are LV! Which company are you with and which model Z do you have?
      Mark
      Plymouth
      E89
      35i
      Carmine Red
      Black leather

mr.tourette
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:17 pm

mcbutler wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:01 pm
      Literally trying to renew my policy right now. My current insurer Direct Line are now declining my car despite insuring it before, so are LV! Which company are you with and which model Z do you have?
      Embarrasingly I dont actually know who I'm with :D I generally just run through the compare sites every year and take whichever is best..i have a 23i
      edit..just done a quick email search :lol: I'm with esure
      if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:05 am

They seem to be massively out of date and really poorly informed. I tried to explain my suspension modification but in the end, as simple as it is, the phone lady's understanding came down to "are you lowering your car or not?". The wheels were also a massive point of confusion because they're BMW, but not an original option on this car. I was worried her head was going to explode so eventually I just agreed that they were aftermarket....
      2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

True-Blue
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:59 am

mcbutler wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:01 pm
      mcbutler wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:05 am Solid addition to the thread - agreed
      This seems very strange, has something about your circumstances changed? Speeding fine, had to make a claim even if ‘not at fault’, house move etc?

LV have been very ‘modification friendly’ in the past for me :?
      Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:24 am

Well I am now a Sheila’s Wheels insurance customer lol. £400 for the year with all legals, NCD protection included and the remap 👍
      Mark
      Plymouth
      E89
      35i
      Carmine Red
      Black leather