Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Horrendous metallic screaching noise

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:31 pm

Toyota :rofl: :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

r2uzenblot

Post by r2uzenblot » Sun May 22, 2022 11:33 am

Here's an update on the stone trapped issue. My car went in to have two new back plates fitted and came out unchanged. Er, that's completely unchanged because they forgot to order the parts....... Well they are going to collect the car from me this week and finally fit them. Then I can quiz them on whether they are different from the current fitted ones.

It could be that there is a fix but will only be done to people who complain. We will see!
2023 G29 20i M Sport Portimao Blue
2021 Triumph Tiger GT Pro
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2020 Cube Hybrid
1954 Two feet

ori

Post by ori » Mon May 23, 2022 7:20 pm

So I had it occur once on my previous g29, but nothing on my current one. Maybe they did change something?

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Mon May 23, 2022 7:50 pm

r2uzenblot wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:33 am Here's an update on the stone trapped issue. My car went in to have two new back plates fitted and came out unchanged. Er, that's completely unchanged because they forgot to order the parts....... Well they are going to collect the car from me this week and finally fit them. Then I can quiz them on whether they are different from the current fitted ones.

It could be that there is a fix but will only be done to people who complain. We will see!
Are you able to take a photograph when the new parts are fitted? Front view. :thumbsup:

r2uzenblot

Post by r2uzenblot » Mon May 23, 2022 7:59 pm

Will do if the parts finally arrive and they get fitted (LOL).
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2020 Cube Hybrid
1954 Two feet

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon May 23, 2022 11:41 pm

ori wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:20 pm So I had it occur once on my previous g29, but nothing on my current one. Maybe they did change something?
Had it 3/4 times on mine Ori

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

ori

Post by ori » Tue May 24, 2022 1:17 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:41 pm
    ori wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:20 pm So I had it occur once on my previous g29, but nothing on my current one. Maybe they did change something?
    Had it 3/4 times on mine Ori
    Maybe it changed as my car is 6 months younger than yours.
    Or I’m just lucky…….although we not that I’m not lucky like that.

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Tue May 24, 2022 1:25 pm

Had it happen to me six times. Horrendous screaming noise. :headbang:

r2uzenblot

Post by r2uzenblot » Sat May 28, 2022 10:29 am

Anyway the magic fix has been applied to stop this ever ever happening again. They have fitted two new backing plates at the front.

Now I known the cycnics amongst you may question this but the design is identical to the old ones and the part number has been unchanged BUT of course these are new so will clearly fix the problem. What could possibly be wrong with this?

Well at least I got two new backing plates and to be fair the technician, engineer, driver (whatever you call the mechanic these days) said I know it is a pain but just be careful when you turn left onto rough surfaces. So here in Shropshire that'll be just around 40 times a day then..........

A known fault with no fixes and that's it.
    2008 Triumph Sprint ST
    2020 Cube Hybrid
    1954 Two feet

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Sat May 28, 2022 10:36 am

r2uzenblot wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:29 am Anyway the magic fix has been applied to stop this ever ever happening again. They have fitted two new backing plates at the front.

Now I known the cycnics amongst you may question this but the design is identical to the old ones and the part number has been unchanged BUT of course these are new so will clearly fix the problem. What could possibly be wrong with this?

Well at least I got two new backing plates and to be fair the technician, engineer, driver (whatever you call the mechanic these days) said I know it is a pain but just be careful when you turn left onto rough surfaces. So here in Shropshire that'll be just around 40 times a day then..........

A known fault with no fixes and that's it.
    I spoke to my BMW service manager about this last week and he told me that the part numbers had not changed and that they would most likely replace the heat shields with like for like parts. That’s crazy as it is not likely to fix the problem. :thumbsdown: :headbang:

BigDave

Post by BigDave » Mon May 30, 2022 12:02 pm

Thats crazy.....

Has nobody looked into fitting the Supra version of the back plate.

I have looked briefly at the Toyota backing plates and they seem a better design.??

MikeyH
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon May 30, 2022 5:29 pm

And they used to say 'Jap crap'. There you go, how things change.
    Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
    Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon May 30, 2022 5:34 pm

BigDave wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:02 pm Thats crazy.....

Has nobody looked into fitting the Supra version of the back plate.

I have looked briefly at the Toyota backing plates and they seem a better design.??
    I said I’d look into that if it became a problem, or complete removal possibly.

Hasn’t happened to me in ages, was out for a run yesterday, turned out of a junction and screech :headbang: braked immediately, reversed the car about 3 foot, pulled forwards again, noise gone :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)