Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oxide Silver Mirror Caps.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Wed May 25, 2022 3:39 pm

Afternoon folks.

I am tempted to try adding the oxide silver mirrors from the 35is, purely for the look.

As the parts can no longer be ordered from BMW (they are supplied primed, but need paint) I thought I would try a wrap of a similar colour, to see how it looks.

I have found what I think is a suitable product for the job:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362383210396 ... media=COPY

I don’t suppose anyone else has tried this, and has a better match?

It’s a long shot I know!

Alternatively, there is a mirror set on eBay with powerfold, something my car does not already have, has anyone done a successful retrofit of powerfold mirrors?

I have looked into it, I think all of the wires are present, it needs a new drivers door switch module, the mirrors (of course) and code.
No doubt there is in fact much more complexity.

Thanks all.

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Wed May 25, 2022 4:22 pm

Dont even bother trying to wrap them yourself, anything more than a few degrees off flat is very difficult.
You need lubricating sprays etc to position and stretch the film - which at that price will be junk.
Good quality film costs a LOT of money.
I wrapped my interio in 3D gloss carbon, it was so time consuming and difficult, it looks great but its far from perfect so I will,be paying a pro to sort it out sometime down then line.
Another issue can be how the cheap film reacts when the car is left in direct sunlight for a period of time......
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Pickster

Post by Pickster » Fri May 27, 2022 6:21 pm

Hi, just wondering how do you get the mirror caps off. Do they just pry off or are there any secret screws / fixings behind the mirror. Was thinking of getting mine sprayed black !!

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Fri May 27, 2022 6:30 pm

After watching some youtube videos I tried to wrap my mirror caps in black. A few hours later my other half came home and asked me why I was swearing so much. I swore some more and threw the screwed up wrap in the bin. That was my 4th and final attempt of the afternoon. Unless you know what you're doing, I wouldn't bother - because of the angles there is quite a lot of heating and stretching required and far more skill/expertise than I have been blessed with.

I would just get them professionally painted, I'm sure it wouldn't cost a lot?
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Fri May 27, 2022 6:34 pm

Pickster wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:21 pm Hi, just wondering how do you get the mirror caps off. Do they just pry off or are there any secret screws / fixings behind the mirror. Was thinking of getting mine sprayed black !!
They do just pry off, use a plastic prying tool and start at the top closest to the door, then work your way round and repeat gradually levering it a bit further off each time. If you try to do too much at once there are some plastic clips that will probably snap - not a disaster, it will still clip back on, but not ideal either.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Dazza4

Post by Dazza4 » Fri May 27, 2022 11:09 pm

Blue Peter: tin foil wrap…here’s one I prepared earlier :rofl:
E89 35is, Melbourne Red
E89 28i Gone
Tesla M3
F82 M4 Gone

Pickster

Post by Pickster » Sat May 28, 2022 5:25 pm

tiglon wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:34 pm
Pickster wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:21 pm Hi, just wondering how do you get the mirror caps off. Do they just pry off or are there any secret screws / fixings behind the mirror. Was thinking of getting mine sprayed black !!
They do just pry off, use a plastic prying tool and start at the top closest to the door, then work your way round and repeat gradually levering it a bit further off each time. If you try to do too much at once there are some plastic clips that will probably snap - not a disaster, it will still clip back on, but not ideal either.
Thanks appreciate the advice. :thumbsup:

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Sun May 29, 2022 5:00 pm

Pickster wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:25 pm
tiglon wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:34 pm
Thanks appreciate the advice. :thumbsup:
You're welcome. BTW if you're planning on wrapping, I think it's easier with the caps still in situ on the car. Otherwise you need three hands to do it.