Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Washer fluid reservoir leaking

step_change

Post by step_change » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:56 am

Hi not been in the Z for a week or so and started her up this morning and I gets a washer fluid level warning. Odd I thinks since I filled it up two weeks ago. Reversed out of the garage and lo and behold a puddle of water on the garage floor. I looks at the washer reservoir and seems to be leaking at the very bottom at the back where the hose and pump assembly are. Not sure at this stage if it's the hose, the pump or maybe a seal/gasket. Drip-drip-drip with a drip every three or four seconds.

Any thoughts please? I have it on extended warranty but no point paying £100 excess if something I can do myself. Seen a previous thread on this that talks about washing the washer bottle out.....

Thanks, Steve
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

Jasonn

Post by Jasonn » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:42 pm

I had something similar after I bought my 2016 zed - it had possibly sat for a while before I bought in in November (always buy convertibles when the weather's bad).

I got through 10 litres of screen wash in a fortnight - jiggled every hose I could find whilst running my hands along the hoses trying to find a leak, nothing, no staining or trace marks, because it had rained quite a bit, I could see any puddles, but it stopped afterwards, I'm guessing either something worked slightly loose and without knowing I'd pushed it back or some grot had plugged the leak (unlikely as she'd only done 33k). Third option was the car has become self aware and was testing me.

jack-dunn

Post by jack-dunn » Thu May 26, 2022 8:53 pm

step_change wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:56 am Hi not been in the Z for a week or so and started her up this morning and I gets a washer fluid level warning. Odd I thinks since I filled it up two weeks ago. Reversed out of the garage and lo and behold a puddle of water on the garage floor. I looks at the washer reservoir and seems to be leaking at the very bottom at the back where the hose and pump assembly are. Not sure at this stage if it's the hose, the pump or maybe a seal/gasket. Drip-drip-drip with a drip every three or four seconds.

Any thoughts please? I have it on extended warranty but no point paying £100 excess if something I can do myself. Seen a previous thread on this that talks about washing the washer bottle out.....

Thanks, Steve
Did you ever figure out how to sort this?

step_change

Post by step_change » Fri May 27, 2022 1:31 pm

I removed the washer bottle and thoroughly cleaned it out with a bottle brush. I wiped and rinsed the hoses. Put it all back together and it was all fine. 30 minute job.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

jack-dunn

Post by jack-dunn » Fri May 27, 2022 2:26 pm

Gentleman thanks. Do you have a guide or something on how to properly remove?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri May 27, 2022 10:47 pm

Hopefully this might help:- viewtopic.php?t=135595
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black