Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Power Steering Fault light On

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
portculisz4

Post by portculisz4 » Wed May 25, 2022 3:18 pm

Hi, I have a 2004 E85 2.5 which I purchased last year and have just done around 1200 miles since the purchase date, the car has had no problems during this time and even the notorious power steering has been smooth and faultless. However, the steering fault light has suddenly come on without warning and the power steering is not longer working. I have the Creators C310+ diagnostic unit but it cannot communicate with the Steering ECU unit although it communicates with all the other ECU units in the car. I know the steering ECU has a failure record but before I strip the unit out for check up and servicing, are there onboard things I can check to possibly eliminate the steering ECU. I wondered whether there is a separate fuse for steering ECU and this could have failed.

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Wed May 25, 2022 5:29 pm

This is the biggest problem with the car. You need to get the power steering module rebuilt by ECU testing.

Take out your column. Remove the power steering module and then send them the power steering part.

They will rebuild with a lifetime warranty

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Wed May 25, 2022 5:46 pm

Don't need to remove the column, the motor/ ECU will come out.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Wed May 25, 2022 5:55 pm

firebobby wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:46 pm Don't need to remove the column, the motor/ ECU will come out.
My mechanic did it that way. It's supposed to be a pain just taking the EPS module out on its own as it's right space to work in. It's only 2 bolts holding it in place.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Wed May 25, 2022 11:07 pm

SonnyA85 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:55 pm
firebobby wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:46 pm Don't need to remove the column, the motor/ ECU will come out.
My mechanic did it that way. It's supposed to be a pain just taking the EPS module out on its own as it's right space to work in. It's only 2 bolts holding it in place.
Not sure how many bolts hold it in, surprised of it's only two. I removed my motor.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Thu May 26, 2022 8:58 am

firebobby wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:07 pm
SonnyA85 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:55 pm
Not sure how many bolts hold it in, surprised of it's only two. I removed my motor.
I'm talking about the module itself holding to the column. It's only 2 bolts if I recall correctly but they are much easier to remove with the column out than in

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Thu May 26, 2022 10:10 am

You don't apparently NEED to, however you have to do nine tenths of the work of removing the column to get the motor so you my as well just do it as it's MUCH easier. I couldn't get the motor out on its own, just wasn't enough room so I took the column out instead.

I had the dreaded EPS failure a month or two back and as others have said, sent the motor off to ECU tuning (go via their Ebay page here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401352168863 - as it's cheaper than their website) and now it's back and all fixed.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu May 26, 2022 4:24 pm

I removed the seat for better access, steering wheel off, lower column shroud off, footwell panel off, then unbolted and removed the EPS motor.
I did not disturb anything else at all, no loosening of column bolts, nothing.
Including the 30 minute wait after disconnecting the battery, the whole removal took a shade over 1.5 hours.
Refitting was around an hour.
If you have a manual car you need to depress the clutch pedal with the back of your head to get clearance to pull it out.
Apart from that it seems another one of those mythical jobs that turns out to actually be straightforward.

Unless you're all hulking great rugby players with hands like shovels I personally feel you're over-egging the difficulty.

(I will add the caveat of 23 years experience fixing fast jets where everything is hidden away like that)
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Thu May 26, 2022 6:29 pm

I genuinely can't understand how you could remove it without dropping the column as there's no room to slide it out? Fair enough if you did, I could not. Not everyone has years of taking cars (or jets) apart...

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu May 26, 2022 6:38 pm

thecremeegg wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:29 pm I genuinely can't understand how you could remove it without dropping the column as there's no room to slide it out? Fair enough if you did, I could not. Not everyone has years of taking cars (or jets) apart...
Yeah, that was my covering note at the end. I did manage it and maybe I was lucky? Who knows? but I did come away with the knowledge that I'd happily do it again.
Bit like the roof motor guys who can do two per hour. Still takes me ages, but I get there in the end.

PS. Gutted you didn't spot my little homage to you with the 'over-egging' bit. :poke: :D

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

portculisz4

Post by portculisz4 » Sun May 29, 2022 3:13 pm

Many thanks to you all for all the informative replies. Will look at the problem first thing tomorrow and try and choose the least complex way but a couple of questions to those who have done the job -

1) I was lucky to get the fault come up just as I was putting the car into garage (so not out and about), is the car driveable with the fault on, I appreciate if it is that the steering will be very heavy and would this heavy effect partially be due to try to also turn the electric power unit ??

2) Can I just drop or lower the steering column to give more access to the motor or must I completely remove it ??

3) How long does ECU Testing take to do a refurbishment ??

Anthony

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun May 29, 2022 4:58 pm

1. Can drive it but really heavy at low speeds

2. As stated before, I didn't touch anything on the column at all and managed to wiggle it out. (Basic rule is, disturb as little as possible)
If you'd like me number for help if you get stuck, PM me.

3. I ordered via Ebay on Sunday evening. Monday morning first thing they emailed me a postage paid label. Monday midday DHL collected. Wednesday morning they phoned to say it was done. Thursday midday DHL brought it back.

portculisz4

Post by portculisz4 » Mon May 30, 2022 12:04 pm

enuff-zed

Thanks for the offer of help, I'me usually fairly good at difficult car DIY but this is my first big job on the Z4, but will keep your PM in mind if I get stuck. I'me hoping that the fault is in the EPS unit and not any other area of the steering electronics such as the torque sensor. It would have helped if my diagnostic unit could have connected with the EPS system.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon May 30, 2022 12:18 pm

portculisz4 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:04 pm enuff-zed

Thanks for the offer of help, I'me usually fairly good at difficult car DIY but this is my first big job on the Z4, but will keep your PM in mind if I get stuck. I'me hoping that the fault is in the EPS unit and not any other area of the steering electronics such as the torque sensor. It would have helped if my diagnostic unit could have connected with the EPS system.
The main things that highlight it as the EPS motor are the fact that it will not connect and also that the Sport button doesn't work.
Pretty sure from your description that it is the motor in your case.
ECU Testing will refund all except the postage if they can find no fault with the EPS motor or its ECU.

Before you take it out, use a marker pen and draw a line across from the column, through the spacer ring and onto the motor body.
Then it'll easily align when you put it back.
I struggled to get room to fit a torx socket onto the bolts, but discovered that a longish ratchet ring spanner (8mm) will do the job too.
It's at full reach, so not easy to relocate the bolts on refit.
Fit the bolt into the ring spanner, offer it up to the hole then use a screwdriver to apply pressure to the bolt head and ratchet it in.

NB. Since heard some have Allen Key bolt heads instead, which may prove more fiddly?

Oh, and before you wedge yourself in there, stick a nice thick rag on the clutch pedal as you'll need to depress it for clearance and it's easiest to use the back of your head. :lol:

NS66

Post by NS66 » Mon May 30, 2022 12:42 pm

I Think if this happened to mine I would be seeing it as an excuse to change to a hydraulic system as on the M and get rid of this electronic nemesis once and for all!!