Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hi, new member from West Yorkshire.

First port of call for new members
mickall

Post by mickall » Tue May 24, 2022 9:57 am

Hi, just getting as much info on the Z4, looking at getting a Z4, not had a soft top before, (well the wife had a Smart roadster a good few years back.) This could be short lived, or a long term love affair, only time will tell.
Looking at the E85 3.0 auto preferred (wife) but not dismissing the manual.
Any information to take note of when purchasing would be helpful, obviously apart from the normal used car checks.

Thanks in advance.
Regards Mick.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue May 24, 2022 10:23 am

Welcome to the forum Mick. :)

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Tue May 24, 2022 12:44 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum Mick, from another West Yorkshire Mick, can’t really help with the e85 questions as I’m an e89 man.
Good luck with the hunt and would be nice to see some photos when you find one.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue May 24, 2022 7:47 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum Mick. :thumbsup:

Apart from the usual things to check on an older car it's worth checking for oil leaks, especially from the cam-cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket. Radiators can bow and expansion tanks are known to split. The steel brake pipes often corrode just in front of the passenger side rear wheel and roof motors frequently die. BMW put them near the roof drains so they get wet, but there are people on here who can often revive them and relocate them to the boot.

That's all I can think of for now but if I missed anything else hopefully someone else will know.

It's worth looking for cars being sold on here as forum members tend to give their cars a bit more TLC, and will often have addressed some of the common issues.

Good luck finding the right one - hopefully it will be a long term love affair!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

mickall

Post by mickall » Tue May 24, 2022 7:55 pm

Thanks for the reply/info, will post a wanted ad and take a look at the for sale. :thumbsup:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed May 25, 2022 8:45 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

mickall

Post by mickall » Wed May 25, 2022 8:50 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:45 pm Hello and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
Thanks.
:thumbsup:

Pickster

Post by Pickster » Sat May 28, 2022 5:40 pm

Hi Mick,
Welcome to the forum, from another west Yorkshire owner ( Leeds), again E89 so no help with the E86, seems there's going to be a gang of us soon be good to get some meets / runs out in Gods Own Country !! :driving:

mickall

Post by mickall » Sun May 29, 2022 11:35 am

Pickster wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:40 pm Hi Mick,
Welcome to the forum, from another west Yorkshire owner ( Leeds), again E89 so no help with the E86, seems there's going to be a gang of us soon be good to get some meets / runs out in Gods Own Country !! :driving:
Thanks for the welcome, just need to find the right car. Only looking at the bottom end of the 3.0 market for my first soft top experience. 😬

eckithump

Post by eckithump » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:14 pm

Hi Mick from a relative Newbie - Mick from North Yorkshire Selby area, Purchased a 2008 E85 2.0i sport in March this year and since then have been doing our best to smarten it up - getting the wheels re-furbed, small dents knocked ou,t paintwork attended to etc. Our car is very low mileage for the year just 30k and has not had a great deal of miles put on it in the last few years - I don't think this has done the car any favours either - things like bushes and tyres crack with age and infrequent use - worth checking the tyres age and condition when looking for a new car. Also We have found as a lot of Z4 users have - there can be issues around the steering and performance of it in particular once the car is warmed up - so if you do a test drive try and have a long one to get it well warm and feel how it handles -- things like heavy handling and 'tramming' hace been spoken about at length. Things can be done to address these issues and there are some great members on this forum willing to help Newbies like us --- so don't be afraid to ask for advice or help there's some great friendly people here !!!

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:14 pm

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
Now: Z4MC Titan Silver
Gone: E86 3.0Si Sport Titan Silver - M exhaust + bumper - Battery Relocated - Aero Front
E86 3.0Si Sport Silver Grey - Carbon Diffuser - Aero Kit - B/Box Mod - Storm MW V2
E85 2.5 Si Sport Titan Silver

Reamesy

Post by Reamesy » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:26 am

Welcome Mick. Good luck hunting and don’t forget to post some pictures once you find it😎👍
Currently; 2011 E89 23i SDrive M Sport Highline Titan Silver
Previously;
2014 SLK250CDI AMG Sport
2012 E89 SDrive 2.0 M Sport. White
2011 Audi TT Quattro
2006 Z4 2.5 Sport
2013 420D coupe
2002 Z3 2.2 Sport
1996 Z3 1.9