Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best starter tool set?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Mr_E85Bim

Best starter tool set?

Post by Mr_E85Bim » Tue May 24, 2022 8:21 pm

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some advice from the accomplished mechanics on here. I would like to start doing some basic work on my E85 myself. I am rather inexperienced so would like to start with more simple jobs such as changing brake pads, discs and oil change.
Slowly progressing to more advanced jobs. But no intention of taking the engine out for example :rofl:

I'm thinking it would be best to purchase a set that would keep me going for some time. Rather than ending up with a number of redundant sets down the road. I found the Halfords Advanced 150. Would something like this be a good start?

All thoughts are welcome.

Thank you :D

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Best starter tool set?

Post by Smartbear » Tue May 24, 2022 8:30 pm

That set looks to be the same as the professional range I’ve had for yonks with no issues, good value as well :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

bg1

Best starter tool set?

Post by bg1 » Tue May 24, 2022 8:39 pm

Don't think the Advanced is as good as the Professional. But I don't think Professional is available any more?

TheDan

Best starter tool set?

Post by TheDan » Tue May 24, 2022 9:06 pm

The Halfords Advanced range effectively replaced the Professional range. If you happen to break any of the pieces from the Advanced kits, Halfords will replace it straight away, free of charge as long as you were using it for its intended purpose (I don't know how they would prove you weren't).

I have the Halfords Advanced 150pc set and its pretty much all you'll need to do most jobs on the Z4. One necessity that you'll need in addition to this is a decent torque wrench. Look at getting one with a torque range of approximately 30-180Nm if possible.

I am sure you're aware, but you'll also need a couple of jack stands and a low profile hydraulic jack (I use the Halfords ones of these with no issues).

Other extras that I use that aren't required but can be useful are impact wrench, impact socket set, longer breaker bar, WD40, blowtorch and a caliper rewind/spreader tool.

Mr_E85Bim

Best starter tool set?

Post by Mr_E85Bim » Tue May 24, 2022 9:41 pm

Thank you both!
Dan, I greatly appreciate all the detail. I was planning on trying to find used jack and stands but see they are not expensive from Halfords. Did not consider the jack needs to be low profile. Thanks again for the great tip! I will also be buying a caliper tool. Assume there isn't much to research on these. :thumbsup:

Zulu4

Best starter tool set?

Post by Zulu4 » Wed May 25, 2022 1:43 am

If you can't find a low profile jack, you can just run the wheels onto some offcuts of ~3cm thick plank. Then a standard jack will fit.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Rockhopper

Best starter tool set?

Post by Rockhopper » Wed May 25, 2022 7:29 am

There are some missing sizes in the Halford's Advanced kit that you'll need to buy:
from memory you'll need a 7mm allen key for the calliper slider bolts and an 18mm 1/2" socket for lots of other things.

Other than that though are a great quality tools. Almost always on some sort of special offer as well so don't go paying full price for them!

SonnyA85

Best starter tool set?

Post by SonnyA85 » Wed May 25, 2022 9:17 am

Wheel chocks
Low profile jack
Axle stands
A kneeling mat / knee pads
Impact torque wrench (parkside is 400nm and £75) if you do DIY around the house may be better getting an impact driver for wood work and using an adaptor. More expensive and less powerful but dual purpose. I use DeWalt personally but Makita are also great.

Aldi sell auto sets now. You can get a small starter socket set off them for buttons.

You can get plastic impact fittings for removing wheel bolts for buttons off AliExpress, eBay and Amazon.

You want a ring smart battery charger.

Ring tyre pump ( keep tyres topped up to reduce fuel consumption well worth doing once a month just for safety aspects alone )

Aldi sell a lot of tools and equipment now which for a home user is more than enough. For a professional they won't last long but for a home user they are brilliant value for money.

I wouldn't bother with second hand jack unless it's in good nick. Some people leave them outside in the rain, etc could be all rusted inside.

The way I see it is I will have the tools for life and the knowledge so I'm gaining those for the cost of paying someone else doing it the first time around. Second time around I'm gaining the savings of not paying someone else to do it.

Second hand you can get bargains but may need to wait for the right one.

Tools can also be passed on or sold on down the line so buying new in those cases is beneficial

Rockhopper

Best starter tool set?

Post by Rockhopper » Wed May 25, 2022 10:12 am

A breaker bar is worth having as well.

SonnyA85

Best starter tool set?

Post by SonnyA85 » Wed May 25, 2022 5:30 pm

Rockhopper wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:12 am A breaker bar is worth having as well.
I'm sure Aldi were selling one recently

Mr_E85Bim

Best starter tool set?

Post by Mr_E85Bim » Wed May 25, 2022 6:15 pm

Thanks for the great advice gents. I'll will hold off buying the Halfords toolkit until an offer is on. In the meantime I think I will go ahead and buy their jack, chocks and axle stands.
I have my wheels coming and I would like to give the brake pads a go 8)

Mr_E85Bim

Best starter tool set?

Post by Mr_E85Bim » Mon May 30, 2022 8:58 pm

So I'm getting impatient waiting for a bargain set to come up.
I have come across the DeWalt socket sets. They look rather cool and its around £139 for a 184 piece set. Is anyone familiar with this set?

Looks like a decent offer to me...please feel free to tell me otherwise

Thanks

TheDan

Best starter tool set?

Post by TheDan » Mon May 30, 2022 11:18 pm

DeWalt make some great tools, mainly power tools such as impact drivers/wrenches. I have never tried their socket sets so cannot comment specifically.

The main reason I went Halfords Advanced though is the lifetime warranty where they'll change out a broken tool/piece for a new one with no hesitation.

Ebay is a good place to periodically check for these Halfords Advanced sets. Its where I bought mine for much cheaper! :D

Rockhopper

Best starter tool set?

Post by Rockhopper » Tue May 31, 2022 7:23 am

I bought mine instore - it was half price as the cardboard outer sleeve was missing!

Mr_E85Bim

Best starter tool set?

Post by Mr_E85Bim » Tue May 31, 2022 4:14 pm

Omg!! Half price bcos sleeve was missing?!! How does one get so lucky haha

Yeah my guts telling me to hold out until I find a Halfords one :tumbleweed: