Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Car Starting Problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
colb

Car Starting Problem

Post by colb » Wed May 25, 2022 9:44 am

Don't think your keys are the root of your problem, the charge in the key battery is only for the central locking function, the transponder chip in the key is not powered in any way it is read by the car when it is inserted in the ignition key slot and its code is given to the EWS system to release the starter so it can be started. I would suspect the starter motor is the faulty componant if the switch has already been replaced. Starter motors go bad without advance warning, had it with mine, a good clout with a hammer shocked it into life but after a few test starts it died altogether. Replacement fitted using an RTX remanufactured unit from Carparts4less on the Web, had to return old unit as the new one carried a surcharge which was refunded when they got the old one back. Had to contact them for a return number and label. Also worth checking out all connections to the starter are clean and tight, check out the condition of the main power lead to the starter not unknown for the cable to get green crusty corrossion build up that causes high resistance that interfears with power delivery to the starter.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Car Starting Problem

Post by Zedebee » Wed May 25, 2022 11:02 am

Same for me. The exchange surcharge was only £20 or so if you can’t be bothered to return the old unit. Even if it’s not the problem (and it sounds like it is), the starter motor is a wear item and a low cost investment to replace.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Car Starting Problem

Post by MikeyH » Wed May 25, 2022 12:39 pm

Seems to me a lot of guys on here are saying starter motor. Have you got your indy to check this yet. Was my first thoughts also.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.