Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Top retracting problem

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Mike-55

Top retracting problem

Post by Mike-55 » Sat May 21, 2022 1:08 pm

Hi I've got a 2003 E85. They other day when I go to lower the top it wouldn't move. It unlatches fine. I hear the (back)motor spinning but the top dosen't move. So I pull the red (handle) wire in the trunk and lower it by hand. Then I put the Handle back in its normal position and try closing the top. It closes perfectly, but when I try and open it. Same thing, motor kicks in normally but the top does not move. It will not open. Any ideas?. The lights stay red in the consel , never goes yellow , Anyone have any ideas. Thanks

SonnyA85

Top retracting problem

Post by SonnyA85 » Sat May 21, 2022 10:40 pm

Microswitch?

Roof control module?

Mike-55

Top retracting problem

Post by Mike-55 » Sat May 21, 2022 11:54 pm

Thanks. Swich is okay, How does that module work? If it wasnt functioning correctly, Wouldn't the top not work at all?. Mine shuts fine. Just won't open. If the module was bad wouldn't the lights be orange not red?. Thanks

Street

Top retracting problem

Post by Street » Sun May 22, 2022 7:27 am

That’s an interesting one.
How about the pneumatic fluid. If the fluid level is low i wonder if the motor/pump is just spinning and not building enough pressure to push the ram.

When down you’ve mechanically moved the fluid and it returns fine?
3.0si Coupe Sapphire Black Target 300k miles
3.0si Coupe Sapphire Black Why have 1 when you could have 2!!

Serial Zed tinkerer. Always looking for the next Zed project :D

Mike-55

Top retracting problem

Post by Mike-55 » Sun May 22, 2022 11:54 am

The top operated perfectly until one day last week when it would not open. Once opened manually. it shuts normally. I've tried this a few times and always the same. Shouldn't be a loss of liquid, It has to be something mechanical. I don't know what switches on the system from raising or lowering the roof. If there is some type of gear or solenoid switch that dosen't kick in on the lowering part.

Zulu4

Top retracting problem

Post by Zulu4 » Sun May 22, 2022 12:42 pm

Have you done a scan for faults ?
Have you got a gap-tech fitted ? Mine went bad last week and caused a similar problem.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Mike-55

Top retracting problem

Post by Mike-55 » Sun May 22, 2022 6:08 pm

Haven't scanned it yet. I will try today if I get a chance. Sorry, what is a gap tech?

Zulu4

Top retracting problem

Post by Zulu4 » Sun May 22, 2022 6:21 pm

http://www.gap-tech.co.uk/m.index.html

Were you able to open/close the roof fully with a single short press of the roof buttons ? If so, there is a gap-tech fitted.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Mike-55

Top retracting problem

Post by Mike-55 » Mon May 23, 2022 12:17 pm

After trying closing and then opening at various stages of the process, the roof does open, it just takes a long time. I'm thinking I might be down on fluid, I'm guessing it takes more presssure, or the reservoir is much lower when the top is open and therefore takes a long time to build pressure. Guess I'll need to take the top off to have a look. Thanks for your help guys.

Street

Top retracting problem

Post by Street » Mon May 23, 2022 6:21 pm

Mike-55 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:17 pm After trying closing and then opening at various stages of the process, the roof does open, it just takes a long time. I'm thinking I might be down on fluid, I'm guessing it takes more presssure, or the reservoir is much lower when the top is open and therefore takes a long time to build pressure. Guess I'll need to take the top off to have a look. Thanks for your help guys.
I did a little more internet scanning and there's a reference to the valve unit that sits on top of the pump. I assume these valves ensure only the flow in the direction of the motor. They switched the lines over and had exactly the same prblem in reverse suggesting the lines (and fluid) were fine. Unfortunatley it didn't look like the value unit was easily servicable and would mean a new pump unit. (You could use your existing mototr if strong enough).

HTH
3.0si Coupe Sapphire Black Target 300k miles
3.0si Coupe Sapphire Black Why have 1 when you could have 2!!

Serial Zed tinkerer. Always looking for the next Zed project :D

CDLEE

Top retracting problem

Post by CDLEE » Tue May 31, 2022 10:31 pm

Having similar problem. Opens just fine, but closing requires a lot of manual help to get it going then once half way closed it closes on its own.