Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Convertible roof won’t open at all

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Redstevo77

Post by Redstevo77 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:47 pm

I have a similar problem - rather than starting a fresh thread thought I would add here;

I recently replaced the rear shocks, to do this as most will know you have to remove plastic trims from either side (10mm bolts and a torx screw) and then remove the rear parcel shelf.

I noticed when I removed these the the roof motor has been relocated by a previous owner and mounted on the passenger side in the back left corner under the carpet.. I proceeded to replace the shocks and then refitted the plastic panels rear shelf then twisted the knobs to raise the shelf….

Once all built back up the obligatory test drive took place but before hand tried to drop the roof that had previously worked without any issue… I now get nothing but a orange/amber light????

Thoughts … all help appreciated.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:50 pm

Redstevo77 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:47 pm I now get nothing but a orange/amber light
Boot shelf micro switch. Either shelf is up or switch is broke. It can also come out of position and I once had the metal clip come out, it does go back in though.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Redstevo77

Post by Redstevo77 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:20 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:50 pm Either shelf is up or switch is broke.
So I think when I reassembled the rear shelf I twisted the “locks/knobs” so the shelf was raised… is this wrong? I didn’t come into contact with any electrics so don’t see how the shelf raises/lowers other than manually … I assumed you had to drop shelf to remove and then raise again after reinstalling shelf??

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:33 pm

Redstevo77 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:20 pm shelf was raised
Roof doesn't drop without shelf being down.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Redstevo77

Post by Redstevo77 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:52 pm

:D brill thanks will give that a go

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:55 pm

:thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:08 am

When you refit the parcel shelf you have to be sure that the lug in the centre front edge fits in the groove here the microswitch is. Looks like a question mark shaped metal strip.
Fit the shelf in the raised position, make sure you can see the metal strip under it, then lower the shelf. You should hear a faint click as the switch operates.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Redstevo77

Post by Redstevo77 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:12 pm

Thanks guys 👍

Motionblurrr

Post by Motionblurrr » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:51 pm

Welp, good news and bad news.

Good news is that there indeed were snapped cables in the soft top loom when I opened the braided sheath. Soldered and double shrink wrapped it. So NOW the windows actually lower and the top unlatches!! :thumbsup:

The bad news? The hydraulic motor is dead. Even when using the rear red pulley tab to manually doesn’t let the top easily lower. It’s like there’s pressure in the system.

I’m going to do the hydraulic motor relocation soon and hopefully I can revive the motor somehow. But yeah, at least I have solved the first part of the problem.

SB73

Post by SB73 » Fri May 20, 2022 8:58 am

Did you resolve the Roof issue Motionblurr? I have exactly the same symptoms, curious to see what you had to do....

wolverine2k

Post by wolverine2k » Sun May 22, 2022 12:33 am

Redstevo77 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:46 pm I have a similar problem - rather than starting a fresh thread thought I would add here;

I recently replaced the rear shocks, to do this as most will know you have to remove plastic trims from either side (10mm bolts and a torx screw) and then remove the rear parcel shelf.

I noticed when I removed these the the roof motor has been relocated by a previous owner and mounted on the passenger side in the back left corner under the carpet.. I proceeded to replace the shocks and then refitted the plastic panels rear shelf then twisted the knobs to raise the shelf….

Once all built back up the obligatory test drive took place but before hand tried to drop the roof that had previously worked without any issue… I now get nothing but a orange/amber light????

Thoughts … all help appreciated.
Are you sure the parcel shelf switch hasn't been damaged and is being triggered by the parcel shelf?