Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bonnet Gas Struts

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Bonnet Gas Struts

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:07 am

B21 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:20 pm
Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:26 pm
B21 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:14 pm I think on cars they design the charges so that their life equals /exceeds the anticpated life of the car..on aircraft, in part because they operate longer and its all super safety orientated they replace them typically around the 10-12 year mark..
Peter, Arnold said he had these as an advisory on his last MOT, carried out by BMW of course so could be a £££ making advisory
I think this is one of those rare occasions (for me) where I would just let this service requirement pass me by.. :tumbleweed:
Fancy myself as devil's advocate this morning..........
Said pedestrian eventually leaves hospital and on the way out is met by an ambulance-chasing lawyer.
They suddenly discover hitherto un-noticed aches and pains and on further inspection discover that your struts are out of date.
Is there a likely claim?
What would your insurance company say?

EDIT: Just remembered the briefing we used to get before live-armed guard duty!
If the IRA (no prejudice - chosen state enemy of the day back then) come through the gate and you shoot them, make sure they're dead. If they're wounded the f**kers will sue you!
So if you're doubting the dates on your struts, better accelerate and do a thorough job. :thumbsup:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Bonnet Gas Struts

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:14 am

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:07 am
B21 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:20 pm
Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:26 pm

Peter, Arnold said he had these as an advisory on his last MOT, carried out by BMW of course so could be a £££ making advisory
I think this is one of those rare occasions (for me) where I would just let this service requirement pass me by.. :tumbleweed:
Fancy myself as devil's advocate this morning..........
Said pedestrian eventually leaves hospital and on the way out is met by an ambulance-chasing lawyer.
They suddenly discover hitherto un-noticed aches and pains and on further inspection discover that your struts are out of date.
Is there a likely claim?
What would your insurance company say?

EDIT: Just remembered the briefing we used to get before live-armed guard duty!
If the IRA (no prejudice - chosen state enemy of the day back then) come through the gate and you shoot them, make sure they're dead. If they're wounded the f**kers will sue you!
So if you're doubting the dates on your struts, better accelerate and do a thorough job. :thumbsup:
Martin, I have slightly more info than I did yesterday abut the situation I mentioned but will wait until you get a response before I post so it’s not seen to lead any response :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

ihadablackdog

Bonnet Gas Struts

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:00 pm

What's the spondoolies for replacing these?
    2011 E89 sDrive20i

davidrew

Bonnet Gas Struts

Post by davidrew » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:38 pm

The BMW estimate was £133.41 for the parts and £45.76 to fit: Total £179.17.

step_change

Bonnet Gas Struts

Post by step_change » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:10 pm

davidrew wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:38 pm The BMW estimate was £133.41 for the parts and £45.76 to fit: Total £179.17.
    ^^^^Same on my 5 series (Nov 2014) where they said mine had expired too.
    Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
    Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

tiglon

Bonnet Gas Struts

Post by tiglon » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:36 pm

I had BMW tell me these were due last month, as per other thread. Actually got round to checking them yesterday and the expiry date on them is 2019. The car has been to BMW dealers multiple times since then, even being sold as Approved Used last year, so obviously it's something BMW dealers have recently decided to try to make some money on...
    2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Bonnet Gas Struts

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:47 pm

tiglon wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:36 pm I had BMW tell me these were due last month, as per other thread. Actually got round to checking them yesterday and the expiry date on them is 2019. The car has been to BMW dealers multiple times since then, even being sold as Approved Used last year, so obviously it's something BMW dealers have recently decided to try to make some money on...
    Wonder how you’d get on Will if you went to BMW and said this had now been told they should be done as they had expired but you have 100% proof that the car was sold by BMW as a fully approved AUC after the expiry date therefore they should have already have been done?

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

tiglon

Bonnet Gas Struts

Post by tiglon » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:11 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:47 pm
      tiglon wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:36 pm I had BMW tell me these were due last month, as per other thread. Actually got round to checking them yesterday and the expiry date on them is 2019. The car has been to BMW dealers multiple times since then, even being sold as Approved Used last year, so obviously it's something BMW dealers have recently decided to try to make some money on...
      Wonder how you’d get on Will if you went to BMW and said this had now been told they should be done as they had expired but you have 100% proof that the car was sold by BMW as a fully approved AUC after the expiry date therefore they should have already have been done?
      I'll let you know after I call them on Monday :thumbsup:
      2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

step_change

Bonnet Gas Struts

Post by step_change » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:41 pm

...so what did they say?
      Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
      Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

goon

Bonnet Gas Struts

Post by goon » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:00 pm

My 240 went in for a brake fluid change and I was also told this but declined to have it done at this point. On further investigation they are little cylinders at the rear of the bonnet hinges and act on a pivoting system to force the rear of the bonnet upwards slightly, they are not the gas struts that hold the bonnet open. I do not believe they will be an MOT failure (at the moment). They quoted me a price of £165 for replacement which isnt too bad for an every 5 years item. I will probably get it done early next year.

acm

Bonnet Gas Struts

Post by acm » Tue May 17, 2022 3:56 pm

My gas struts failed today. I was expecting they would, since I noticed late last year that the bonnet had sagged a little after I'd left it open for an hour or so.

Anyway, Cotswold BMW just took my order for the two needed on my 2009 35i (pre-LCI set up). I was told that there was only one left in the UK and that I'd have to wait a week while they ship one from Germany... are they really running out of them in the UK, or was it just Cotswold :?

I did search for non OEM equivalents, but many sites were showing out of stock for various (popular) manufacturers; seems to be plenty of the cheaper brands with names that I've not come across before.

Cheers!
      Andy