Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof not fully opening

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
DeanoZ4

Roof not fully opening

Post by DeanoZ4 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:34 am

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on why my roof won't open fully?
Yesterday I put the roof down for a journey in the sunshine but when it began moving into the final closure position I thought I heard what sounded like a loud 'crack' or 'snap'. Everything looked to be ok so off I drove, I got home and the roof closed with no issues. This morning though when I tried to open the roof again it doesn't now fully open (I've taken some pictures), when it gets as low as you can see the motor sounds like it's whirring and working but it just won't go that final 15 or so cm. If I then close the roof it does close correctly, no red light.

I've had a little look and checked the folds....they seem to be ok. Nothing has fallen on the parcel shelf and their is nothing in the boot to obstruct and the shelf is down to allow for the roof to go into it. Does this sound like a motor failure or perhaps is there something else I can look at before spending hundreds of pounds?

Many Thanks
DeanoZ4
Attachments
Z41JPG.JPG
Z41JPG.JPG (77.31 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
Z42.JPG
Z42.JPG (67.9 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
Z43.JPG
Z43.JPG (43.79 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
Z44.JPG
Z44.JPG (55.57 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
2004 Z4 3.0i Roadster | Black Sapphire with Dream Red Oregon Leather | Gorgeous | Fast | Fun!!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Roof not fully opening

Post by Smartbear » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:47 am

Mine did that once & it was a book that had partially fallen off the parcel shelf, it was hard to see-raise your roof and have another good look, the r/h looks to be higher than the l/h so I'd concentrate on the right hand side :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Dietcokeman

Roof not fully opening

Post by Dietcokeman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:51 am

Does sound like an obstruction . If the roof closes ok then I suspect it's not motor related . If you gently press on the roof , either side does one side seem harder than the other indicating an obstruction one side only ? Or are both sides the same ? Also does the roof fully lower if you pull the bypass cable in the boot ?

DeanoZ4

Roof not fully opening

Post by DeanoZ4 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:03 am

Double checked for an obstruction and I can't see or feel anything, I've checked with it up and partially down but nothing appears to be blocking the way. Strange thing is I never use the parcel shelf and always have the wind deflector up so not sure how anything could have got in there to cause an obstruction.
Both sides feel the same, if I try to push down in the middle at the same time as pressing the open button, the motor whirls but the roof goes no lower, it's like it's resisting being pushed any further. I tested by placing the boot parcel shelf up (twisting the knobs) and got the orange light as expected, lowered it again but that didn't change anything.

I've not pulled the red bypass cable yet as I wasn't sure if I pulled it whether I could then go back to using the motor without getting it reset? This is strange.

Thanks
DeanoZ4
2004 Z4 3.0i Roadster | Black Sapphire with Dream Red Oregon Leather | Gorgeous | Fast | Fun!!

benv6

Roof not fully opening

Post by benv6 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:54 am

First think I would check is the Red Hydraulic switch and play with it a bit. Is your roof motor relocated to the boot?

I remember I had a similar issue where I can hear the motor but the roof stops half way, I had to take the complete roof off to check the lines and all and it was so annoying because I couldn't work out what the problem was !! Then a forum member mentioned the switch in the motor end (where the cable attach to the motor) and that was it ;-) ... Hope this helps but keep us updated.
Now: BMW 335D Touring
Previous: 435D Coupe, BMW Z4 E89 35i, BMW Z4 E85 2.0, BMW E46 330CI

ImageImage

Dietcokeman

Roof not fully opening

Post by Dietcokeman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:27 am

Lower the roof as normal to the point where it's stopping . Then pull the red handle on the bypass cable to the bypass position and see if the roof drops to the correct position ..all the bypass cable does is allow the hydraulic fluid to flow through the pipes without driving the Rams that operate the roof . It is possible that the ram and the driven gears on the roof mechanism have slipped a cog position somehow. Causing the ram to bottom out before the mechanism has, leaving the roof in a slightly raised position , this would also explain why the motor still makes a noise if you press the down button when it's reached it current stopping position . Because the sensor hasn't been triggered to tell the motor not to work anymore . When it goes up the up sensor position is reached and tells the motor to stop the ram operation and trigger the latch operation .so up operation will not be affected .

I'm not sure which switch Benv6 is talking about as the motor has 2 cables at the bottom that plug directly onto the motor , no switch on all the ones I've done . The bypass cable had a white adjuster section between the handle and the pump, but unless it's been tampered with I doubt it's causing the issue you have . Try what I suggest above first or ring me and I will try to help you 07771847714 . Bryan

DeanoZ4

Roof not fully opening

Post by DeanoZ4 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:51 pm

Hi Bryan,
I gave what you suggested a go...letting the roof get to the stop position then pulling the red bypass cable but it doesn't go any lower. I was able to lift it manually but was unable to push it any lower than the stop position it's in. The parcel shelf is definitely at it's lowest position in the boot and the motor is definitely trying to take it lower so I'm baffled. I'm not particularly mechanical so I may have to get it in a garage.
Is there a better or worse time to give you a call?

Many Thanks
Dean

Dietcokeman

Roof not fully opening

Post by Dietcokeman » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:15 pm

Normal social hours are good to phone. By doing what I suggested I think we can eliminate any hydraulic pump and motor issues. For some reason it appears that the mechanism has an obstruction . You said in your original post that you heard a loud noise and although you can't see anything it sounds like something somewhere has broken or come loose and is now stopping the full operation on the downward cycle . Where are you in the country ? I have helped a few members here sort out roof problems but location may mean you are closer to others members that may be able to assist . I generally just offer help in the spirit of the forum and offer my time and knowledge free of charge , but I'm not sure what others do . I'm on the Herts/ Beds boarder near j10 of the A1M if that's any use, but your welcome to call anyway if you need any more help over the phone I will try and talk you through opinions and options .

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Roof not fully opening

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:26 pm

Sounds to me like you have broken one of the parts of the metal roof support structure. Don't try to force it but with it half way up,turn off the ignition so it stops and give the internals a good inspection and physical check. You'll be looking for a broken part cracked bearing, dislocated part, etc.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Rivergod8

Roof not fully opening

Post by Rivergod8 » Sun May 15, 2022 2:13 pm

Did you ever get this figured out my roof is doing the same thing