Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Snapped Exhaust Hanger?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
BrentonW

Snapped Exhaust Hanger?

Post by BrentonW » Sat May 14, 2022 2:57 am

Had the wheels off while replacing brake pads today and noticed that one of the exhaust hangers seems to be snapped, as well as a weld that came apart. From the looks of what I'm seeing on YouTube and other places, this exhaust hanger (I believe that's the part that's broken) doesn't seem easily replaced with an aftermarket/generic one? Or can it? From what I found, some people said they've taken it to an exhaust shop to get welded back together? Is that the best option here? The other side still seems good, and the exhaust doesn't really seem to be hanging, fortunately. I'm just really looking for confirmation that this is indeed the exhaust hanger and what the best option is to get it fixed. Also if anyone has an idea of the cost for the repair that would be handy too! I'm definitely an amateur here, so dumbed down explanations may be necessary! Ha!

Here's a picture of what it looks like, and a short video of it:
IMG_0357.jpg
IMG_0357.jpg (103.45 KiB) Viewed 157 times
[youtube]https://youtu.be/zIymKCF5BOs[/youtube]

Thanks so much for the help!

DMike

Snapped Exhaust Hanger?

Post by DMike » Sat May 14, 2022 6:14 am

That hanger is welded to the muffler and replacement - if there was a spare part - would include grinding the old one out and welding the new one in. Several members master the art of welding and can provide a more experienced opinion, but I would just weld the broken part back together.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey