Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

330e Touring burnt plastic/electrical smell

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
IRD

330e Touring burnt plastic/electrical smell

Post by IRD » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:18 pm

Over the last few weeks after our 330e has stood unused for a few days there is a smell of burnt plastic when you set off. It appears to be coming through the ventilation system. After travelling for 15 minutes or so it disappears. I spoke to Soper BMW who said there are no known issues relating to this problem. The service rep said they would happily look at the car which is still under warranty. However if they could not find the cause they would charge for the investigation. She suggested I call out BMW assistance if I was concerned. She said they would look into it but there would be no charge if they couldn’t find what the problem was.
After consulting with her manager she told me that BMW are spraying the engines with some product that helps to preserve and that could be causing the smell. To say the least I am sceptical of this explanations. I just wondered if any Forum members had had similar experiences with their 330e cars. Bigwinn has the same car but it hasn’t happened to him.
Any observations welcome as to possible cause.