Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

IUsing a classic iPod in a G29 Z4

Discussing the current generation Z4
ori

Post by ori » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:34 pm

q96169we wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:53 am
sars wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:36 am q96169we, They were a great technology, better quality than tape, more portable than CD's, easier to maintain and didn't skip. Had a couple of players/recorders and it was relatively easy to make a compilation disc. Superseded by solid state devices and the MP3
Yeah, I know what they are and tried them a lot of times as my wealthy classmates back then had more than one. It's just I couldn't afford it back then. Otherwise, I should also have a collection of MDs. :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed:

I personally find that it's not about the technology or better music quality etc. It's more about the story/memories a person has with those devices/discs.
So true. I miss video tapes for exact reason.

Going to the video store, spending ages finding a film and then the whole family watch it together. Some great memories.

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:46 am

ori wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:34 pm Going to the video store, spending ages finding a film and then the whole family watch it together. Some great memories.
For me, it's like queuing for hours before the album release with gril friend back then to get the first batch of discs then showing off in front of the classmates or pissed off by someone else doing this to me when I didn't get the first batch. I'm not sure about now but back then, having the first batch collection was kind of a thing. In general, those discs are kind of a memory of the youth age. :rofl: :rofl:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:28 am

Yes happy days :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

BigDave

Post by BigDave » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:21 pm

Nick_in_Suffolk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:01 pm OK, thanks for the replies. We will not be using any phone wirelessly, by which I assume it is meant bluetooth, but it looks like connecting it to one of the USB ports will work. That will save me trying to extract the data from the iPod and transferring it to various USB drives.
Nick. Did you manage to get your ipod working.
Ive just tried an old 5th gen classic ipod in my car and although it reccognises it, it wont play any tracks..
Ive had my 6th gen ipod touch in the Z4 and it works well,,,, BUT,, at the the end of an album/playlists it wont return back to the start of the album/playlist and relpay, instead it just stops playing....Damd annoying. :headbang: :headbang:

Ive had a look in the menu,s / settings of the car and cant find anything to help me..... :headbang: :headbang:
Can anybody else shed any light on this.??
The 6th gen touch works fine in my F15 X5 , returning to the start of the album/playists to continue playing...

Anybody else out there in "G29 Z4 land" use an ipod to play music in there car.?? If so which model ipod do you use.???

Nick_in_Suffolk

Post by Nick_in_Suffolk » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:50 am

Sorry, had to wait for my wife's car to be collected. The iPod (bought quite late in the iPod cycle, so I guess at least a gen 6) works fine via the front USB port, indeed it loads music lists much more quickly than my M2C did) where I thought the there was a wireless charging pad (alas no). I have to buy a USB-C to lightning cable to see whether it will work in the area behind the cupholders.

Getting the iPod to work has been a major success. The iDrive is still posing many challenges (it is even more obscure than the M2C) so we may make a trip back to our (friendly) dealer. It has me wondering what the i4 has in store for me when/if it arrives.
G29 S30i in SFR - my wife's car and her third Z
BMW M2C - gone, replaced with an i4, but its only use is shopping, the Z is our main touring vehicle

Long gone, but not forgotten - 1988 E30 M3

BigDave

Post by BigDave » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:12 pm

Nick.
Can you check for me,, if,, your ipod returns to the start of an album/playlist, and continues playing or just stops,,,,,,, when it come to the end of the album/playlist.??
Hope you understand me.?
Thanks....

Nick_in_Suffolk

Post by Nick_in_Suffolk » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:10 pm

Sorry, missed this. Will check tomorrow. I don't use playlists, I will have to listen to a whole album!
BMW M2C - gone, replaced with an i4, but its only use is shopping, the Z is our main touring vehicle

Nick_in_Suffolk

Post by Nick_in_Suffolk » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:32 am

BigDave

So test 1 completed - after playing the last track on an album the iPod goes back to track 1 and starts the album again.

But, the cable (USB to 32 pin Apple) appears to not charge the iPod, so my first test was actually my 3rd test. Test 1 was with iPod 1, which appeared to not come alive, as did iPod 2 (the one I was hoping to use with the i4). After some off-car charging iPod 1 is not working, but I cannot get iPod 2 to come back to life. I winder whether it is worth getting the battery in iPod 2 replaced (iPod 2 was alwyas in use far more frequently than iPod 1)

BigDave

Post by BigDave » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:40 pm

Its update time for those that might be interested......

"BUT,, at the the end of an album/playlists it wont return back to the start of the album/playlist and replay, instead it just stops playing.".

I've recently done some digging on good old google, and found that there was a setting in the ipod,s menu that needs adjusting so I can continue playing the music when it reaches the end of the playlist/ album...
So FINALLY it all works correctly.. Happy dayz... :D :D :driving: :driving:

weegeoff

Post by weegeoff » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:21 pm

weegeoff wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:12 pm I am a bit of an old fart and prefer CD players, am I the only one ? I do wish I could afford a G 29 though
I have now got a G29. So I now use Spotify :thumbsup: :driving:

sonu78mn

Post by sonu78mn » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:22 am

in the day when there was actually DJ's on the radio and stations would broadcast full concerts from groups. (yes am that old). Don't get me wrong technology has come a long way. And for those who chose to use it carplay, pandora, sirisxm etc great enjoy!!! Not trying to disrespect thos that do. I am just I guess old fashion and set in my ways. Nick I hope you find an answer to your issue. I have a 05 so it was easy to install a USB (not c) cable.9apps