Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clean out soft-top drain

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Clean out soft-top drain

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:23 pm

Milz4y wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:42 pm Keen to keep the car original if possible and not relocate the roof
That's an admirable intention. However, if the drains have been blocked already then there is a better than even chance that the plastic tub the motor sits in is already full of water. Even if that has drained away the insulation will be soaked. So your motor will still be sitting in a wet environment and getting more corroded by the day until eventually it'll cry enough.
You have a few options really:
Leave it where it is and keep your fingers crossed.
Relocate it to the boot before it dies
Take it out, check it and put it back with clean dry insulation, and some drain holes drilled in the bottom of the casing.

There is likely to be water still sneaking into the motor tub even if the drains are clear.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

dva99999

Clean out soft-top drain

Post by dva99999 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:59 pm

This is my first post (except the newbie bit) and one of the problems I had was lack of space in my garage on the passenger side. I found that it is possible to remove the splash guard and plastic bracket without jacking the car up. What this also meant that when I ran water through it, it went straight through the drain hole and not along and out the seams like the drivers side.
I used coat hanger wire and welding rods to really loosen it. Next week is when I’ll tackle the job of relocating the motor but for the time being I’m pleased. It was only clean water that came pouring out initially. The previous owner had washed it before I picked it up.
Thank you
Former owner of 99 Z3 2.8
Current owner of 04 E85 Z4 3.0 Auto black