Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I drive version.??

Discussing the current generation Z4
BigDave

I drive version.??

Post by BigDave » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:31 pm

This might be a really schoolboy question.

BUT ill ask anyway..

In my 2019 Z4 M40i does anybody know what version of i drive i might have , ie ID6 or ID7.
Or how i might find out the version...??

Thanks.

baljemmett

I drive version.??

Post by baljemmett » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:26 pm

Pretty sure all G29s are running iDrive 7; the easiest way to tell visually (apart from the overall 'look') is to check the home screen. If the tiles are different sizes and there's a column of icons down the left-hand side (for media/comms/nav etc), that's iDrive 7. iDrive 5/6 had no icons on the left, just a horizontal row of tiles which were all the same size.

The very latest models such as the iX, i4 and new 2AT are running iDrive 8 instead; the big giveaways there seem to be that the instrument cluster and centre screen look like they're combined into one surface, and the aircon controls have been moved onto the touchscreen instead of having dedicated buttons. A big change like that probably wouldn't happen for the G29 except maybe as part of the LCI, but even that seems pretty unlikely for a small-volume car like the Z4.

BeeEmm

I drive version.??

Post by BeeEmm » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:29 pm

iDrive 7. Lots of videos online to show you around, here is one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqFWc2tdwZc
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

ori

I drive version.??

Post by ori » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:05 pm

baljemmett, lci generally don’t get new idrive. Think because it would mean large scale component updates?

baljemmett

I drive version.??

Post by baljemmett » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:09 pm

Yeah, I suspect the deciding factor is "can we just plonk new software on the same parts and call it good?".

I was originally going to suggest that any given model is pretty much stuck on whatever was current when it was designed, except I know the F22/F23 got updated from 5 to 6 at some point (my pre-LCI F22 was running 5, the late-production F22/F23s I had as courtesies/testers were on 6). That felt mostly like a light UI update to the software with no hardware changes - main difference was the introduction of live data on the home screen instead of static graphics - whereas upgrading the G29 from 7 to 8 would seem to involve redesigning the dashboard and some of the centre console. Can't see that happening in a hurry!