Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

FYI, Map update available

Discussing the current generation Z4
q96169we

Post by q96169we » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:19 pm

Just FYI, new 2022-1 map is available to download and update.

I understand many people don't bother doing this, but in case you want to keep it updated, it's available now.

Z4monster

Post by Z4monster » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:10 pm

:thumbsup: Thanks for the heads up - Downloading now

ori

Post by ori » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:02 pm

Ooooo I love an update.
Gonna try using usb c this time.

ori

Post by ori » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:15 pm

Downloading already. I have a usb stick that is also usb C so as we previously discussed I’ll try it on the usb C port.

Now we just want a main software update which will add features. What would you want from a software update?

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:20 am

ori wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:15 pm Downloading already. I have a usb stick that is also usb C so as we previously discussed I’ll try it on the usb C port.

Now we just want a main software update which will add features. What would you want from a software update?
Yeah, let me know whether the USB-C is faster.

About RSU, I actually don't hope for any new feature. Mainly due to my car doesn't have all the gadgets as yours. Generally for cars with OS7 idrive, I think improvement around carplay or android auto to better integrate them with HUD and the center area between speedo and rev counter will be a great improvement from BMW. Using CarPlay as example, the Apple Map direction can be shown there. There is no reason why google map or waze can't.

blaster1956

Post by blaster1956 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:25 pm

ori wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:15 pm Downloading already. I have a usb stick that is also usb C so as we previously discussed I’ll try it on the usb C port.

A working Apple Carplay :)
G29 M40i - Misano Blue - since February 2022
E89 sDrive 20i M Sport - Sapphire Black - Sold August 2021
E89 sDrive 20i Roadster - Crimson Red - Sold 2018
E85 2.0i Sport - Stratus Grey - Sold 2014

ori

Post by ori » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:36 pm

blaster1956 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:25 pm

A working Apple Carplay :)
My apple car play works fine!
I would love better integration with HUD. Waze on there would be great!

ori

Post by ori » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:58 pm

Usb-c stick works fine! Just done it. Transfer is certainly quicker.

BigDave

Post by BigDave » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:53 pm

Is this map update free of charge..?
And im assuming its downloaded via a pc onto a memory stick that then gets plugged into the usb c port.?

Sorry for the technophobe questions but im playing catch up....

ori

Post by ori » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:17 pm

BigDave wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:53 pm Is this map update free of charge..?
And im assuming its downloaded via a pc onto a memory stick that then gets plugged into the usb c port.?

Sorry for the technophobe questions but im playing catch up....
You get 3 years worth of map updates for free with bmw.
Have you created an account and got the mybmw app?

You use the same account details to download the map update onto a usb stick and then you take that usb stick into the car and it starts then update.

gusTaco

Post by gusTaco » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:40 pm

Google maps showing up directions in the HUD. I can only get these with Apple maps / BMW nav

baljemmett

Post by baljemmett » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:20 am

Interestingly mine appears to have pulled this map update on its own a few weeks ago - I got the 'new nav data available, restart?' prompt, and it now shows a 2022-1 update alongside the 2021-something that was installed when I picked it up in January. So some cars might have received OTA updates already - always worth doing a USB update if not, though, in case the OTA updates have got stuck...
ori wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:15 pm Now we just want a main software update which will add features. What would you want from a software update?
Most of my thoughts so far turn out to be cosmetic - for instance it'd be nice to see the currently-selected gear in D (rather than just M/S), and some way of expanding the text area for radio stations since it currently cuts off after a couple of (short) lines. After using the GPS for the first time this weekend I'm also not sure I like where the ETA is displayed by default, but I'm currently playing around with the options for the instrument cluster to see if that can already be adjusted to better suit my tastes...

Other than that it's interesting to note that other models come with a different set of installable apps (e.g. I've seen a speed-camera warning mentioned that isn't available on the Z4), and the MyBMW app could perhaps be improved to show things like route/time/avg.speed/consumption details of recent trips (my father's new Jaguar XF apparently does this, for example). I suspect pining for my old online entertainment options (Deezer and Napster) instead of Spotify (:thumbsdown:) is a lost cause though.

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:32 am

baljemmett wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:20 am Interestingly mine appears to have pulled this map update on its own a few weeks ago - I got the 'new nav data available, restart?' prompt, and it now shows a 2022-1 update alongside the 2021-something that was installed when I picked it up in January. So some cars might have received OTA updates already - always worth doing a USB update if not, though, in case the OTA updates have got stuck...
OTA map update either your selected region or your frequently travelled region. On the other hand, the USB map update updates the entire map database. BMW's guideline is to keep doing the OTA when it's available and occasionally, do a full map update via USB map update. I think one of my previous post about map update has some discussion around this. Therefore, it's not compulsory to do USB map update but for people like me who simply want to update when an update is available, this is the information. :rofl: :rofl:

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:35 am

baljemmett wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:20 am MyBMW app could perhaps be improved to show things like route/time/avg.speed/consumption details of recent trips (my father's new Jaguar XF apparently does this, for example).
Old BMW Connected App used to show this information (on my 2016 F10 and 2014 F33) as long as you have active BMW Online subscription. However, this feature being removed at some point around 2018 or 2019. No idea of why. Potentially, too buggy and less benefit to majority users.

ori

Post by ori » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:50 pm

I’m simple. I like my bmw app to just tell me how much fuel I have, all windows and doors locked etc….and the ability to unlock the car.