Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 E89 Gear Lever Won't Return to Park Position Unaided

na51hog

Z4 E89 Gear Lever Won't Return to Park Position Unaided

Post by na51hog » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:05 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:09 pm Well, that is not an electrical wire:

Bild1.jpg

Already the elder GA6HP transmissions used both: wires for manually shifting and a cable for the PRND levels.

I would interpret my initial quote from the German ZRoadster forum as a cable problem.
Ok, so I have done a little more research now. That cable is definitely the way in which the Gear Lever is automatically moved out of Sport mode when Park is engaged and the ignition is turned off. The free end of the cable attaches to the DCT (in the case of the 35is) gearbox, as you can see here:

I haven't been able to find any explanations of how to disassemble the Gear Lever system and in particular, part 1 from part 2, as shown in the diagram.

If nobody comes back to me here then I will get under the car and have a look at the cable attachment point on the gearbox and carefully try to separate parts 1 and 2 without writing off the car or having to apply for a second mortgage. After that, I should know if the cable's length can be adjusted or whether it is all just wishful thinking!
When the fun stops, you know what to do...