Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New M40i on it's way

Discussing the current generation Z4
BeeEmm

New M40i on it's way

Post by BeeEmm » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:25 am

Z4monster wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:33 pm Boxsters don't do anything for me although I like the Cayman but the roof don't come off.
It is for that very reason that the Cayman looks way, way better than a Boxster.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Russ Z4

New M40i on it's way

Post by Russ Z4 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:27 am

Z4monster wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:20 pm Image

To celebrate 50 years of BMW motorsport they are having a new badge for all M and M-lite models only. Most M40i models will qualify as an optional extra but M cars might be standard I think.
I kinda like the idea of them - but I can help but think that they are trouble in the making. I can see these badges being lifted off cars left, right and centre. The options? - 300 quid, cheap knockoff or somebody getting the real deal by going out with (or buying from some who has) some parcel wrap and lifting the real things (and caring if they kill your paint)

I fear there’s going to be a lot of pricey frozen grey paint claims on bonnets and boots.

I like them - but for above reason, not for me.

Russ Z4

New M40i on it's way

Post by Russ Z4 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:30 am

Z4monster wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:23 pm I got a call on Monday from my local BMW dealer. She had a build slot available for a new M40i and wondered if I was interested? Suffice to say I was down there before I'd finished the call, well almost ;-) I've been watching all the new build threads over the last few weeks and getting itchy pedals.

Went in a couple of days later and had a chat about swapping mine for a newer model. I'm already in the M40i in Misano Blue, so didn't want the same colour again although I do love blue cars. Not a fan of white or the red and the matt grey just seems like too much potential trouble. So that left me with black as hobson's choice. Never had a Black Z4 before but did have a 128i coupe between Mk1 and MK2 Z4's so decided that would be it.

I've decided to go the whole Batman effect and gone with Black Pack and Black leather interior. Not a fan of the Piano black console as I think it will scratch very easily so I've stuck with the standard tetragon centre console. At least that will lighten the interior slightly.

Tried to get the BMW M 50 Badges on the car but apparently they won't be available until July despite the press releases saying available for builds from March. I guess they are coming from China and have got delayed in the supply chain issues much like everything else.

Car is scheduled to start build week 12 (end of March) and delivery should be about a month after that. Might get pushed into 1st week of May.

Still no wireless charging available which is ironic as I've swapped my phone for one with wireless charging a few weeks ago :roll:

So roll on April! Great time of year for a new car! Warmer weather on the way and longer days too. Result!
Congrats! How did you get the build slot? Cancelled order?

Hopefully these cars are now coming out without too much on the missing bits list.

Not long to wait then - you may even beat me with those time slots! (Mine was Sept order with delivery now scheduled for mid April)

blaster1956

New M40i on it's way

Post by blaster1956 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:18 am

Z4monster, Great news, I think us on this forum are keeping the Z4 production lines running on our own!

I've just gone the other way colour wise (E89 Black to G29 Blue) - love both colours. Think you did well to get a build slot as current orders seem to be taking around 6 months without. Keep us informed of progress.
G29 M40i - Misano Blue - since February 2022
E89 sDrive 20i M Sport - Sapphire Black - Sold August 2021
E89 sDrive 20i Roadster - Crimson Red - Sold 2018
E85 2.0i Sport - Stratus Grey - Sold 2014

ori

New M40i on it's way

Post by ori » Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:10 pm

blaster1956 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:18 am Z4monster, Great news, I think us on this forum are keeping the Z4 production lines running on our own!

I've just gone the other way colour wise (E89 Black to G29 Blue) - love both colours. Think you did well to get a build slot as current orders seem to be taking around 6 months without. Keep us informed of progress.
Well the blue is the slighter faster of the g29 cars. ;)

Z4monster

New M40i on it's way

Post by Z4monster » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:48 pm

They had a customer cancel their order so the build slot was up for grabs. My sales person knows that I'm usually up for a swap if the timing is right so gave me a call. Might as well drive a new car as a three year old one as I buy on finance. :D
I'm also hoping that if the rumours of EOP in 2025 are right, I might just get another swap in before the end of the model. My previous E89 was one of the last production cars of that model.

I'm hoping that the Black is just as quick as the Blue as I've heard rumours of them being slower too :lol:

Interestingly my mate has a 520D on order and his is same build week. We're hoping the cars will come together. It would be cool to do a double pick up on collection day! (I think it might be made on the same production line but not certain if they make all 520D there or some are made in the BMW factory also.)

Russ Z4

New M40i on it's way

Post by Russ Z4 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:30 pm

I don’t blame you for changing then. Good stuff.

You’re all wrong about the paint though - whites the quickest? Why? Cos white paint weighs the least!

ori

New M40i on it's way

Post by ori » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:03 pm

Russ Z4 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:30 pm I don’t blame you for changing then. Good stuff.

You’re all wrong about the paint though - whites the quickest? Why? Cos white paint weighs the least!
We are talking small differences here, but we all know the blue is the slightly fastest one due to the way the blue reflects the sun from the radiation and breaks the air creating better aerodynamics. ;)

I think the m50 badges might have a similar effect.
I really like the look of them, but I would be worried that some scum will use a screwdriver to get them off.

Russ Z4

New M40i on it's way

Post by Russ Z4 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:32 pm

Im defo with you on the badge front. They have "nick me, damage my car" written all over them. It'll be like the Beastie Boys VW emblem nicking era all over again. I dont think I would be entertaining paint damage for the sake of that badge.

I'm not going to get into the reflective properties of white... but... you know. :P

Anyway, all your cars are quicker than mine, regardless of colour... as mine doesn't appear to be be ever coming out of the parts bins any time soon.

Jam13f

New M40i on it's way

Post by Jam13f » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:03 pm

Z4monster wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:23 pm I got a call on Monday from my local BMW dealer. She had a build slot available for a new M40i and wondered if I was interested? Suffice to say I was down there before I'd finished the call, well almost ;-) I've been watching all the new build threads over the last few weeks and getting itchy pedals.

Went in a couple of days later and had a chat about swapping mine for a newer model. I'm already in the M40i in Misano Blue, so didn't want the same colour again although I do love blue cars. Not a fan of white or the red and the matt grey just seems like too much potential trouble. So that left me with black as hobson's choice. Never had a Black Z4 before but did have a 128i coupe between Mk1 and MK2 Z4's so decided that would be it.

I've decided to go the whole Batman effect and gone with Black Pack and Black leather interior. Not a fan of the Piano black console as I think it will scratch very easily so I've stuck with the standard tetragon centre console. At least that will lighten the interior slightly.

Tried to get the BMW M 50 Badges on the car but apparently they won't be available until July despite the press releases saying available for builds from March. I guess they are coming from China and have got delayed in the supply chain issues much like everything else.

Car is scheduled to start build week 12 (end of March) and delivery should be about a month after that. Might get pushed into 1st week of May.

Still no wireless charging available which is ironic as I've swapped my phone for one with wireless charging a few weeks ago :roll:

So roll on April! Great time of year for a new car! Warmer weather on the way and longer days too. Result!
Great news... :thumbsup:
BMW 430i F32 2016, Sold March 2022
Z4 M40i G29 Frozen Grey, Cognac.

vanlieremead

New M40i on it's way

Post by vanlieremead » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:24 pm

Congratulations

Z4monster

New M40i on it's way

Post by Z4monster » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:30 pm

Gah! This week should have been production week but dealer has called me today and said that build is delayed for at least 3 weeks. Wiring harness is currently sourced in West Ukraine so obviously that isn't happening anytime soon. BMW are apparently sourcing from elsewhere in an attempt to keep production going.
Although annoying, at least I still have my current car and more importantly, a roof over my head. Can't imagine how the people in Ukraine are surviving in the current atrocities being visited on their country.