Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof problem

Cuprat

Roof problem

Post by Cuprat » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:09 pm

I’ll keep this updated so others can see the faults I’ve had a and (hopefully) what fixes it!

Car is currently in the garage - fault was a constant bong and warning message “roof not latched”. Roof was operating.

Of course when I got to the garage to show them it had gone :). Putting the top down and up did show a different message to what I’d had before “roof operation impacted” (I think).

Update - it is the micro switches as advised to me by RobbiZ4. Cost to repair is £300. Slightly annoying as I’d assumed the warranty would cover this - I assumed this as I spoke to BMW warranty when I renewed my policy and they said they were covered! Apparently not covered when they are corroded.

Additionally I have a very slight oil leak from the gearbox. They think it’s the sump gasket.

Good job the weather is good and mood high :)

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problem

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:50 pm

Cuprat wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:09 pm I’ll keep this updated so others can see the faults I’ve had a and (hopefully) what fixes it!

Car is currently in the garage - fault was a constant bong and warning message “roof not latched”. Roof was operating.

Of course when I got to the garage to show them it had gone :). Putting the top down and up did show a different message to what I’d had before “roof operation impacted” (I think).

Update - it is the micro switches as advised to me by RobbiZ4. Cost to repair is £300. Slightly annoying as I’d assumed the warranty would cover this - I assumed this as I spoke to BMW warranty when I renewed my policy and they said they were covered! Apparently not covered when they are corroded.

Additionally I have a very slight oil leak from the gearbox. They think it’s the sump gasket.

Good job the weather is good and mood high :)
I would be back on to BMW regards the microswitches, mine were stuffed and covered by a third party warranty company, had a cost of £250 and to pay around £30 myself.

Seems to me BMW are being a little harsh as the roof won't function correctly irrespective of wether they have failed just corroded
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problem

Post by Pondrew » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:25 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:50 pm had a cost of £250 and to pay around £30 myself.
When the switches are £32.00 per pair (delivered) and it is an extremely easy self fix.

I was under the mis-apprehension that a forum such as this helps people with faults from others who have been there and done it, so they can save by doing simple jobs themselves. All of the diagnosis and instructions, mostly provided thanklessly by Robbiz4, is available in multiple threads.

If it just to bleat about how much your 'assured warranty' is costing, then I honestly don't see the point TBH.

Sorry rant over. Carry on :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problem

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:28 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:25 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:50 pm had a cost of £250 and to pay around £30 myself.
When the switches are £32.00 per pair (delivered) and it is an extremely easy self fix.

I was under the mis-apprehension that a forum such as this helps people with faults from others who have been there and done it, so they can save by doing simple jobs themselves. All of the diagnosis and instructions, mostly provided thanklessly by Robbiz4, is available in multiple threads.

If it just to bleat about how much your 'assured warranty' is costing, then I honestly don't see the point TBH.

Sorry rant over. Carry on :D
It is an easy /cheap fix mate - but I had a warranty (Not assured - 3rd party as stated in my post) so it was covered, its not about what my warranty is but why are BMW refusing to replace under their warranty scheme which is meant to be a premium warranty scheme
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problem

Post by Pondrew » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:55 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:28 pm It is an easy /cheap fix mate - but I had a warranty (Not assured - 3rd party as stated in my post) so it was covered, its not about what my warranty is but why are BMW refusing to replace under their warranty scheme which is meant to be a premium warranty scheme
Not getting at you Sean, or anyone else, just that I don't quite get a lot of the threads on here when the information has been supplied and then ignored. :?

As someone said in another thread; I am a simple soul. :oops:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problem

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:59 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:55 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:28 pm It is an easy /cheap fix mate - but I had a warranty (Not assured - 3rd party as stated in my post) so it was covered, its not about what my warranty is but why are BMW refusing to replace under their warranty scheme which is meant to be a premium warranty scheme
Not getting at you Sean, or anyone else, just that I don't quite get a lot of the threads on here when the information has been supplied and then ignored. :?

As someone said in another thread; I am a simple soul. :oops:
Join the club, I am simple, my misses said I don't have a soul or a heart though :rofl:

Sometimes the threads can be a nightmare to search to find the right info, I struggled for a while as well