Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Z4 Aftermarket CarPlay Retrofit - Full Installation DIY

How-To articles are in here.
SimpleCarGuy

Post by SimpleCarGuy » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:51 pm

I finally brought my BMW Z4 into this decade and installed an aftermarket touchscreen Apple CarPlay/Android Auto unit! My Z4 came with a storage box and no screen, so it made a huge difference! Full DIY for those interested:
https://youtu.be/5JM3FTB7qYw

tigor

Post by tigor » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:11 pm

Which model did you use? There are so many options and I don’t understand which will give me car data when I too won’t have the old iDrive system in place, just a storage compartment.

ultramega

Post by ultramega » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:10 pm

tigor wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:11 pm Which model did you use? There are so many options and I don’t understand which will give me car data when I too won’t have the old iDrive system in place, just a storage compartment.
I’ve just ordered one from HiFiMax. They have a good reputation and some good videos on YouTube. Realistically I don’t think it will be any different from the system ACARNAVI do. Probably the same hardware.

If you don’t already have iDrive you will get a blank screen when you try to switch to it. Regarding car data though, I believe you will still get the digital dashboard function. They are pretty responsive on email, so I would ask them.

https://hifimaxnavi.com/products/androi ... gps-system
2010 35i DCT

SimpleCarGuy

Post by SimpleCarGuy » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:09 pm

tigor wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:11 pm Which model did you use? There are so many options and I don’t understand which will give me car data when I too won’t have the old iDrive system in place, just a storage compartment.
Sorry, didn't get an email about the reply for some reason.

I got this one specifically: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_APtFa3 but it took forever to show up. They also have them on amazon for more money (I have a link in the video description).
The way it gets data from the car is by the CANBUS connection (that big plug that I connect).

tigor

Post by tigor » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:19 pm

Much cheaper than what I’ve been seeing on Amazon. Now to find someone who has the know-how to butcher the car for installation.
2013 Z4 sDrive20i M Sport (28i map)
2022 X3 xDrive20i M Sport (hybrid nonsense)

Feyenoord82

Post by Feyenoord82 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:07 am

I'm looking at retrofitting Apple car play and idrive controller a la simplecarguy video. Any advice or recommendations for specific unit and idrive unit purchase? Rather than re invent the wheel some advice and experience would be great.