Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Paint

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Paint

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:51 pm

Saw this video, got me thinking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwpBss0L1xM
How the cars are painted.

The blue on this car extends to inside the engine bay.
On my Orion silver, bay area is blackish, on the wings it finishes just beyond the bonnet shut line.
And some overspray near the headlights.
I always wondered if it was damage repaired.
1.jpg
1.jpg (68.95 KiB) Viewed 474 times

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Paint

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:06 am

flybobbie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:51 pm Saw this video, got me thinking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwpBss0L1xM
How the cars are painted.

The blue on this car extends to inside the engine bay.
On my Orion silver, bay area is blackish, on the wings it finishes just beyond the bonnet shut line.
And some overspray near the headlights.
I always wondered if it was damage repaired.
1.jpg
My silver grey e85 3.0si also had black inside the engine bay, it seems normal :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Paint

Post by MikeyH » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:13 am

On my E85 it’s the same and the boot also. Seems to be an odd Z4 thing, when I was looking for mine there were a lot on AT the same. But also some with the outside colour in the engine and boot area also with the odd overspray look. Very strange, as you say looks like accident damage but I don’t think it is. Looks as if they sprayed the car with the bonnet and boot shut :D maybe the ones with the colour in the engine bay and boot are the ones that have had the accidents. Who knows, BMW works in mysterious ways.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Roddy

Paint

Post by Roddy » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:31 am

MikeyH wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:13 am On my E85 it’s the same and the boot also. Seems to be an odd Z4 thing,
Not really, it's BMW being cheap :D My Z3 was the black in the engine bay, it's probably because base coat and top colour isn't the same
hdgcbebh.jpeg
hdgcbebh.jpeg (56.83 KiB) Viewed 424 times

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Paint

Post by flybobbie » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:48 am

Yes the side wings look like they were sprayed on the car, the colour ends along the shut line, and bonnet on outside only, finishing just inside it's edge.
You would think the wings would have been hung up on frame in the booths to be sprayed all over. Not such a clean edge.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Paint

Post by MikeyH » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:07 pm

USA build :poke:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Paint

Post by B21 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:55 pm

MikeyH wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:07 pm USA build :poke:
E89s were built in Regensburg..that's Germany :thumbsup:

E85s were built in the US..

FWIW : :tumbleweed:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Paint

Post by MikeyH » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:43 pm

Yep mine was ‘born in the USA’ godnabit

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Paint

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:46 am

A little off topic but it's about paint...
I have a black BM and a white BM. (I couldn't afford colour ones).
When I get stonechips on the plastic of the white one the undercoat/ panel is black.
When I get stonechips on the plastic of the black one the undercoat/ panel is silver or white.
So both show up really obviously. I think BMW did it just to p*ss me off! :? :x
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Paint

Post by B21 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:39 am

Pondrew wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:46 am A little off topic but it's about paint...
I have a black BM and a white BM. (I couldn't afford colour ones).
When I get stonechips on the plastic of the white one the undercoat/ panel is black.
When I get stonechips on the plastic of the black one the undercoat/ panel is silver or white.
So both show up really obviously. I think BMW did it just to p*ss me off! :? :x
Another benefit of buying an Atacama Yellow one..the top coat is obviously yellow but the undercoat is yellow too..albeit a lighter yellow :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Paint

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:48 am

I’ll remember that when I buy my next zed. Although I once owned a Daytona yellow ford Capri and felt like I was wearing my underpants over my trousers every time I drove it :rofl: