Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Favourite car you've owned vs Favourite car you have driven, vs Car you've most desired to own

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Favourite car you've owned vs Favourite car you have driven, vs Car you've most desired to own

Post by Nanu » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:58 pm

Fav car ever owned - My current VO35is. Even after 7 years of ownership, it still makes me smile when I drive it and makes me feel good when walking up to it in a car park or I see someone having a closer look.

Fav car ever driven - BMW i8. It's some machine with unbelievable handling. Just a pity the G29 wasn't a hybrid with that technology.

Most desired car - British racing green Aston Martin DB9S preferably with cream leather interior. Why, Britishness at it's best and possibly the best looking lump of metal on the planet.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:12 am

pvr wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:02 am Best ever owned and never to leave - my 911, better investment than anything else I have done :D

Would like to add a Ruf Turbo. My 740 and M were equally but different great cars, the E38 the best looking of all 7 series.

Deepest disappointment and shortest ownership - landrover Discovery, terrible.
Never had the pleasure of meeting you, Pvr, maybe one day... But, as I think I commented when you got it, that Anniversary edition 911 of yours is one lovely car I would not mind owning at all.
Good shout on the Ruff Porsche too.
So many nice cars, lol

I could have named 20 or more, lol
Gut think my choices sum up the enjoyment of driving them for me
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:18 am

buzyg wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:48 am I probably own my favourite car. Of all the cars I have driven. :D But then I have driven surprisingly few cars, for someone who likes to drive. I also genuinely enjoy driving the wheels off my Mazda2 Capella. :D

I posed the question some time back. Do you like cars or do you like driving. Me I like driving far more than I like cars. :driving: :thumbsup:

If I ever tier of the ///MR then I have thought a DB9 would be nice. But I am not one for test driving a car unless I intend to by one in the immediate future. So until the day comes I guess I won't know if I really like them or not. :wink:

Nice one, buzy :thumbsup:

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:22 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:43 am Favourite I've owned is easy - my MC. :D

But I did spend a day driving Maseratis around Millbrook in 2008 and would love a Quattroporte!

I grew up dreaming of a Ferrari Daytona, but have got over that! They may have been the quickest car tested by Motor/Autocar back in the day but aren't as quick as an MC!

My biggest disappointment was a 1987 Sierra Cosworth at a Silverstone track day - XR4i was much better to drive and didn't blow a head-gasket!
What was so bad about the Ciosworth?
Never driven any, was a Vauxhall for me, but never had the opportunity to drive many fast ford's of the 80s etc.
One of my mates loved Ford's, growing up, and had an xr 4x4 2.9i.
Nice car, with a v6, bit not it if power iirc, around 150bhp?

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:31 am

Some great and varied car choices folks :thumbsup:
Quite a few mentions if i8s and Aston too.
Both great choices, shame the i8 stopped production, or will be?

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:12 am

sp3ctre wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:46 am This is a funny thread....

Best car I have ever owned is my Z4 3.0SE... absolutely loved it, was single at the time and spent weekends flying round the countryside... far and away the most fun I've had in a car (err, well, most fun "driving a car", anyway!).

Fave car I have driven.... Z4 again... never liked driving other people's cars and never a fan of experience days.

Car I have most desired to own.... a Rover 200.... I was 17 at the time and really REALLY wanted one... never did get one though (good thing prob, as they were crap). :rofl:
Follow your dreams
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:08 pm

craig3.2 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:22 am What was so bad about the Ciosworth?
Never driven any, was a Vauxhall for me, but never had the opportunity to drive many fast ford's of the 80s etc.
One of my mates loved Ford's, growing up, and had an xr 4x4 2.9i.
Nice car, with a v6, bit not it if power iirc, around 150bhp?
I don't know, it just seemed to suffer badly from turbo-lag. Nothing much happened until you got it to 3,000rpm then it took off, but if that happened half way around a slowish corner the back end would let go. Then if you lifted off slightly there was a delay until it got on back on boost so it made progress a bit ragged. And then the head gasket let go when I overtook my mate who owned it on the Hangar Straight - he still reminds me of that!

Funnily enough he also took a RWD XR4i that was just so much easier to drive with linear power delivery, although it wasn't as quick on the straights. And a 4WD XR4x4 estate but that just felt heavy and slow.

The Cossie was supposed to be about 200hbp and the other two were 150bhp. I'd previously had a couple of Capri 2.8 Injections and the XR4i felt closest to those.

This would have been mid-90s when they were just old Fords so only worth a couple of grand - how times change. :o
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Redmex

Post by Redmex » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:42 pm

My favourite car probably my Sebring Red '74 Mk 1 Mexico, what would it be worth now ? I bought it in 1979 with 30k miles or possibly my B reg 205 GTi Peugeot 1.6 or the D reg Golf GTi all great at the time
The Z4 is like going back to my younger days , rear wheel drive with a wee bit of poke and induction noise
Almost forgot about my Singer Gazelle Estate with a Holbay engine although the twin Weber's never always worked how they should've

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:06 pm

Favourite owned - original MR2 I had in 1988. Not that fast, but sooo much fun.
Favourite driven - Porsche 968, and 300ZX Twin Turbo.
Most wanted car - Marcos Mantara. Wanted one for so many years - absolutely love the look of them, the view down the bonnet, the perfect fixed seat with adjustable pedal box - and the V8 soundtrack. (Doubt I could even get in one now :( )
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

Ian J

Post by Ian J » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:53 am

Sidewaze Samm wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:06 pm
Favourite owned - original MR2 I had in 1988. Not that fast, but sooo much fun.
30 years ago my son was waiting to emerge from a T junction driving my mark 2 Golf GTI when he was hit up the rear by a mark one MR2

The front of the MR2 crumpled quite badly whilst my Golf was unmarked

lucasxdiniz

Post by lucasxdiniz » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:07 am

Best car I have owned is my current E86 - far better than my 1st ever car, MK2.5 MX5.

Best car I've driven is the 812 Superfast. Was lucky enough to drive it without any leashes and was paid to do so... 7min onwards was especially fun:

Although I've not driven any Porsches ever, I feel that a GT3 Touring would be my ideal daily. There are too many cars I want to own and daydream about constantly, the most attainable being a modified E92 or a F-150 Lightning.
Z4MC: Interlagos Blue | Individual Champagne | BC Racing RS Coilovers | Powerflex Arms | 4.1 FD

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:50 am

Some good choices folks, keep em coming :thumbsup:

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:47 pm

Favourite owned - Close fight between the Z4 Coupe & a 1992 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution I with a 400/400 bhp/torque engine
Favourite driven - V10 Audi R8 or a track prepped S1 Lotus Elise both driven on track
Most wanted car - 2002 Toyota Supra RZ (twin turbo, VVTi, 6sp manual) with around 600bhp :driving:
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Tromans

Post by Tromans » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:20 pm

This is a tough one, and only recently acquired my Z4C, so could change....!
Favourite owned = VW Corrado VR6. I loved that car!
Favourite driven = Probably an Formula 3 car on track, such a visceral, pure experience
Most wanted = Just one?! Probably a Singer 911, but that's not looking likely! In all honesty, the Z4C is right up there on the realistic list!

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:25 pm

Tromans wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:20 pm This is a tough one, and only recently acquired my Z4C, so could change....!
Favourite owned = VW Corrado VR6. I loved that car!
Favourite driven = Probably an Formula 3 car on track, such a visceral, pure experience
Most wanted = Just one?! Probably a Singer 911, but that's not looking likely! In all honesty, the Z4C is right up there on the realistic list!
Corrado Vr6 was a great car, always had a wish to get one,but didn't, likewise the similar vintage Scirocco.
A couple of mates owned one each, respectively,and they were good in their day :driving: