Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Noise from loose piece in passenger door

romainh

Post by romainh » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:13 am

Hi there,

I have recently started noticing a noise coming from either the lower dashboard or my passenger door, as if a screw or a bit of plastic was loose, in particular when going over speed bumps

Any ideas as to where this might come from? If yes, is there an easy fix (assuming removing door panel to figure out what it could be)?

Feel free to point me to existing topics on the matter if they exist
2009 E89 Z4, sDrive23i, automatic, Silver Metallic, non M-Sport (and the right 290 wheels IMO)

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:50 pm

Had a similar noise. Took the car to the indy. He spent an hour tightening/lubricating with silicone everything that could be the source. Result silence.

A year later. Same noise. And one or two more.

The Z4 is, I suspect, quite a noisy car.
Vidi, vici, veni

Mike D 1965

Post by Mike D 1965 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:56 pm

I had a noisy passenger door storage pocket as it’s hinged it would slightly open and close while driving, some rubber stops silenced it.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:02 am

Loads of potential places for rattles, squeaks etc
Here's a couple worth checking on....
1) At the rear of the door (arrowed) there is a screw with a plastic cap, this cap can come off (like mine had) and lodge itself in the recess. As this recess isn't part of the pocket then you wouldn't normally notice it, like I didn't!!
2) The passenger door release handle has a screw and this also has a plastic cap over it. Now these are renowed for coming out and ending up lost on the road, down by the passenger seat rails or could end up in the door pocket if it was open at the time. Certainly worth a check.

Other than that it could be anywhere, you could have something trapped in the hinge mechanism of the glovebox that is rattling about while driving.

Try to have a passenger in the car to listen for it and try to pinpoint it down a bit more closely. :thumbsup:
Attachments
vlcsnap-2022-02-03-08h53m40s401.jpg
vlcsnap-2022-02-03-08h53m40s401.jpg (144.7 KiB) Viewed 280 times
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q