Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Features being deleted on new car order

Discussing the current generation Z4
q96169we

Post by q96169we » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:41 am

ori wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:28 pm I don’t understand how they can restore apple
Car play with a software update? Must be a dealer retrofit job?
They can implement CarPlay via cable connection on top of current via wireless connection. This, no additional module is required for CarPlay

ori

Post by ori » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:53 am

q96169we wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:41 am
ori wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:28 pm I don’t understand how they can restore apple
They can implement CarPlay via cable connection on top of current via wireless connection. This, no additional module is required for CarPlay
Yes I guess they can implement it via usb, but I’m sure that requires some hardware in the car too.
My point is that they won’t be able to activate wireless apple CarPlay is parts are missing.

It’s all very strange.

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:20 am

ori wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:53 am
q96169we wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:41 am
Yes I guess they can implement it via usb, but I’m sure that requires some hardware in the car too.
My point is that they won’t be able to activate wireless apple CarPlay is parts are missing.

It’s all very strange.
I don’t think they promise wireless CarPlay via sw update. For wired CarPlay, I don’t think further modules is needed as long as the car has usb interface, which the car does.

blaster1956

Post by blaster1956 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:26 pm

Sgreen wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:41 pm
Russ Z4 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:52 pm
blaster1956 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:41 pm
hi Sgreen, I've had mine on order since early September with a build date currently showing as late January (the date keeps moving about so I'm not overly confident on this!) - the only confirmed deletion I've seen so far on mine is Wireless Charging, however I understand that other deletions may happen (e.g. Touchscreen) but I haven't been told officially if mine is affected. I would imagine that until the car goes into build it's a bit of a guessing game as to what else may be removed.
September here too as you probably know. At time of ordering, I knew that Wireless Charging and Digital key wouldn't be an option. Haven't heard from the dealers otherwise. Haven't followed anything up to be fair - I'll be that head in the soil person until the call comes in. Maybe we'll be in luck, maybe we won't. Will address it when and if it gets to that point.
So far I have been told that wireless charging, Apply car play, touchscreen, and wifi will all be removed, although it is expected that wifi and apple car play will be added back at a later date. Only cost reduction that we will see is for the wireless charging, no reduction for the lack of touchscreen which is disappointing
I thought I had heard there was a £500 reduction for cars with the Touchscreen deleted.

I’m very much in two minds as to whether I would accept mine without a touchscreen, but if I don’t take delivery I’m not sure what my plan B would be :dizzy:

Happy Christmas all!
G29 M40i - Misano Blue - since February 2022
E89 sDrive 20i M Sport - Sapphire Black - Sold August 2021
E89 sDrive 20i Roadster - Crimson Red - Sold 2018
E85 2.0i Sport - Stratus Grey - Sold 2014

ori

Post by ori » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:02 pm

blaster1956 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:26 pm
Sgreen wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:41 pm
Russ Z4 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:52 pm September here too as you probably know. At time of ordering, I knew that Wireless Charging and Digital key wouldn't be an option. Haven't heard from the dealers otherwise. Haven't followed anything up to be fair - I'll be that head in the soil person until the call comes in. Maybe we'll be in luck, maybe we won't. Will address it when and if it gets to that point.
So far I have been told that wireless charging, Apply car play, touchscreen, and wifi will all be removed, although it is expected that wifi and apple car play will be added back at a later date. Only cost reduction that we will see is for the wireless charging, no reduction for the lack of touchscreen which is disappointing
I thought I had heard there was a £500 reduction for cars with the Touchscreen deleted.

I’m very much in two minds as to whether I would accept mine without a touchscreen, but if I don’t take delivery I’m not sure what my plan B would be :dizzy:

Happy Christmas all!
Plan b if s demand a discount or reject the car. I wouldn’t accept a car without apple CarPlay. The promise of a software update sometime in the future isn’t good enough.

Merry Xmas.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:40 pm

Russ Z4 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:20 pm
pvr wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:52 pm £150, my son just had it done including the firmware upgrade, WiFi module and CarPlay
Where was that done?
Sorry, missed this one. This was done at a company in Horley, Surrey.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo