Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Finally, finally bought another car

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Ian J

Post by Ian J » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:21 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:30 pm
I've never had a car that didn't have a manual handbrake, and I definitely don't want one now. :lol:

To me that just seems like fixing something that isn't broken.
My last few Beemers have had auto handbrakes and I don't think that I have used them at all as I just leave the car in P

Wwesty

Post by Wwesty » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:15 am

Ian J wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:21 pm
Flyingfifer wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:54 am
I've always thought of the Alpina BMWs as the sort of fat, comfortable cousin of M BMWs
As an ex owner I've always thought of them as the classier version of the equivalent M series :D
Agreed!
2004 Black Sapphire 3.0L SE.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:29 pm

What a car, even with the trees. The way Alpina have tuned the N54 for torque is a revelation. I don't think I have ever been so smitten with a car in my 36 years of driving (and I have had a LOT of cars). Fuel economy is not the best, though :|
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:03 pm

Probably better than a twin turbo v8 :P
IMOLA Z4///MR

LeeZ4MR
Lifer
Lifer

Post by LeeZ4MR » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:02 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:29 pm What a car, even with the trees. The way Alpina have tuned the N54 for torque is a revelation. I don't think I have ever been so smitten with a car in my 36 years of driving (and I have had a LOT of cars). Fuel economy is not the best, though :|
Great to hear that you are enjoying it. :thumbsup:
Current...BMW F82 M4 Coupe 2018
370Z Roadster 2011
Merc GLE400d 2022
Caterham 7 2002

Previous...
640d 2012
330i 2006
Z4MR 2006
E92 M3 2009
X5 4.8iS 2004
TVR Cerbera 4.5

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:13 pm

I have been asked how things are going with the "Alp", so here is a little update:
I have spruced up the engine bay as a lot of the bracketry and nuts were corroded and rusty. I removed three large garden snails hiding in various places in the engine bay, a sure sign it has been laid up for long periods.
All brackets were removed, wire brushed and painted in Hammerite of the original colour. All visible nylock, flange nuts and washers have been replaced with stainless replacements. All accessible hoses and plastics have been cleaned and treated with silicone-based treatment.
I removed all wheels, cleaned them all properly inside and out and torqued the bolts up correctly (some were massively over-torqued and some were just about hand tight which was not ideal). while the wheels were off, I checked all discs and pads for wear and condition and cleaned and painted all four callipers, again with colour correct Hammerite. This makes a massive difference as I hate grubby and corroded callipers.
I have replaced the bootlid roundel with a genuine BMW one, changed the side indicator repeaters as they were a bit yellow and grubby and changed all four ISOfix covers in the rear for new as two were broken and the other two were scuffed.
All interior fabric and leather has been cleaned and leather 'food' applied.
All four tailpipes have been painted internally with matt black stove paint, as I couldn't get the two inners to match the outers no matter how much wire wool and Autosol I used.
Everything on the car works as it should, the battery holds charge well and it as most 'mod cons' including usb for music. I just wish it had PDC on the front, not just the rear as I keep forgetting!!
I would say the car is now 'show' quality but not 'concourse'. There are a few very small marks to the paintwork generally, which I am going to see if I can get 'smart repaired'. If that is able to be done properly and a lot more elbow grease to the engine bay, it could possibly be classed as 'concourse'. I am not planning on showing the car, but I like things right.

The car is a hoot to drive; it could do with an LSD as with the amount of torque at low revs it likes to wag it's tail without much provocation, so the traction control cuts in too often. The 6 speed switch-tronic auto is really good. In manual it stays in manual and doesn't get 'bored' if you don't change gear like many autos do. I love the exhaust note; it rumbles, rather than screams but is not too 'in yer face'.

All in all I'm a happy camper so far!
I will post some updated pics when it dries up.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:41 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:13 pm The car is a hoot to drive; it could do with an LSD as with the amount of torque at low revs it likes to wag it's tail without much provocation, so the traction control cuts in too often.
You could always add a Quaife LSD... :evil: :poke:
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:20 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:41 pm You could always add a Quaife LSD...
That wouldn't work, I'd have to move the wine cellar :lol:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:14 pm

Pondrew wrote:
PerryGunn wrote: You could always add a Quaife LSD...
That wouldn't work, I'd have to move the wine cellar
Nah, after I fitted mine, I just made two of the servants share a room... :wink:
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *