Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Which OBD2 scanner to get?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Sailorman

Post by Sailorman » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:21 pm

I've owned my 2.5i E85 for 2 months now and am experiencing a variety of electrical issues (airbag warning light twice and now burglar alarm). I think having a scanner would both help identify what is wrong and maybe allow me to fix the problem.

There are a bewildering number of such devices available. I'd appreciate some advice on which one to get.

I am not the greatest home mechanic but willing to have a go at many things. I want to be able to turn off warning lights as a basic requirement.

I think I have to spend at least £50.00 to get a really useful scanner, maybe more.

Please advise, those who have experience of these tools.

And thanks in advance

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:34 pm

I have an Autophix 5900 which has worked well so far for me.
Others have similar machines but different makes.
These will show you where the problem lies and allow you to clear the codes, but if the fault persists you'll need to fix it, not code it out, if that's what you're meaning?

The alarm may well be the switch at the centre rear of the engine bay, where the bracing struts meet.
You could try unplugging that and see if it sorts it.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Sailorman

Post by Sailorman » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:08 pm

Many thanks for your swift reply. I agree, recurring faults need to be fixed but the airbag one is probably a faulty sensor under the passenger seat (I am told) and won't be critical until the next MoT in May 2022.

I've disconnected the bonnet sensor and await results. The fault was an intermittent one, always the worst sort to identify so I'll need a day or two to be sure that was indeed the cause.

Will a scanner identify such a problem and if so, would it pin it down to the particular sensor that was malfunctioning?

And where is the best place to buy a replacement sensor, if needed? (You can tell I'm very new to this but keen to learn.)

colb

Post by colb » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:57 pm

I would reccomend a Creator 310+ Scanner Code Reader circa £50 on ebay and Amazon.
I usually use a Laptop with BMW INPA and BMW Scanner 1.4 on both my Z3 1.9 and 2.5 Z4 but for portability you can't get better than the Creator 310+. Recent problem I had, self inflicted, turned airbag light on when I switched on with a seat out of the car as I wanted to test the heated seat wiring that I just installed, should have known better. Tried both INPA and BMW Scanner 1.4 to clear the code when the seat was reinstalled but neither cleared it. Invested in a Creator 310+ as I had read good reports on it. Worked straight out of the box and cleared my airbag fault first go. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creator-C310-S ... B00VSYZ2NC
The 310+ will read all modules on your car, clear codes and you can view live data which is very useful when diagnosing problems. It will also carry out service functions for restting the service and Inspection display on your dash. As a starter into car scanning and maintaining its probably going to be the only scanner you will ever need unless you get bitten by the tech bug like me. Pondering now on whether or not to invest in a Carprog programme and kit to read eeproms in airbag modules, I fancy there is a market out there to reset and clean airbag modules that lock up. They can only be repaired by reading the eeprom on the internal pcb. Firms out there will do it but it seems a costly service.
The Creator 310+ will plug in to the 16pin obd2 socket in the drivers footwell. Should you want to scan a Z3 then that is done using the underbonnet 20pin diagnostic socket, the Creator will need to be used with a 16pin to 20pin cable changer, available on ebay for little money. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292135605037 ... Swiv1c1xDw
Loads of cheaper sellers for this cable but mostly from China.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Ian J

Post by Ian J » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:13 am

colb wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:57 pm I would reccomend a Creator 310+ Scanner Code Reader circa £50 on ebay and Amazon.

its probably going to be the only scanner you will ever need unless you get bitten by the tech bug like me.
Unless you are intending to upgrade the car to the latest model as many of the readers on the market won't work with the G29

I bought the TONWON vLinker BM WiFi OBD Scanner from Amazon for £45.99 which worked faultlessly with my G29

Sailorman

Post by Sailorman » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:43 am

Thank you both for your advice. I'm waiting to see if I get any more recommendations but meanwhile have disconnected the bonnet switch which seems to have stopped the intermittent alarms.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:51 am

Sailorman wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:43 am Thank you both for your advice. I'm waiting to see if I get any more recommendations but meanwhile have disconnected the bonnet switch which seems to have stopped the intermittent alarms.
That's a start then.
I have not seen any direct comparisons between the AutoPhix 5900 and the Creator 310+, so cannot comment on how similar they are in their abilities. However colb has certainly used his more than most and has given a comprehensive reply. I've only used mine a few times but I have to say it's led me straight to the fault each time: identifying which ABS sensor was duff, and showing me the vanos inlet solenoid valve was sticking.
There is also an AutoPhix 7800? (check the number?) which seems to do a lot more, but it is more expensive and if you're as IT non-savvy as me you'll soon find the machine has outstripped your ability to use it. :roll:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.