Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Finally here

First port of call for new members
Scarcey

Finally here

Post by Scarcey » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:52 pm

Hello All

Not strictly a newbie to the forum. Posted a wanted ad a few months back whilst I was on the search for a Z4mr. After wanting one since they came out and not shutting up about it since(it’s been a long wait since 18 y/o) I’m finally here. Was very particular about spec and managed to find one. I compromised on a couple of things but I’m happy with the outcome. Owned for about a month. My thoughts so far...

Well, they say never meet your heroes. Utter rubbish in this case; it’s everything I dreamt it would be. Flawed, not perfect, but absolutely right for me. Love the car; the sound; the engine; the everything. Yes, there’s quicker. Yes, there’s prettier. Yes, there’s cheaper. But, my crikey, the smile it puts on my face is mega. Addictive to drive it, I can’t still believe it when I open the garage door that it’s there.

Driving: read so many things about ‘it tries to kill you’ etc etc but to be honest, if you’re respectful of what it is, it’s ok I’ve found. To be fair to that statement, I do only take it out in the dry and can’t truly open the taps up often without being trouble making quick. The sound and experience above 4500rpm is cracking. The brakes are decent enough for me. Handling and ride was much how I expected. Went for a weekend around the north Norfolk coast and had a great time recently.

Dislikes: not many, except cost :o tax induces a sharp intake of breath. Mpg is ok to be fair; averaging around 27mpg. I’ve done a lot of driving with my two children in the car (not at the same time :lol: ) so not stretching it lots. My son (2y/o) is a speed demon and loves the acceleration up to 4k :driving:

What’s next: rod bearings and Vanos refurb. Inspection II as well. Cars on 54k so doing it for peace of mind rather than necessity. Also going to get a good detail and machine polish when I can.

Hope to get to some meets etc.

It’ll be stored over winter. Any advice or links to threads on here on how to’s would be great. It’ll be my first stored over winter car.

Here’s some photos with my other love, my z3 sport. Ive owned that for over 10 years now and trying to justify keeping both to the wife. Slowly winning (until she hears how much the rod bearing and Vanos refurb will be). Wish me luck!!!
Attachments
441DF6D8-B089-4C5D-8872-99C8B28011B0.jpeg
441DF6D8-B089-4C5D-8872-99C8B28011B0.jpeg (105.79 KiB) Viewed 748 times
8CCC24F7-52CA-4F58-B345-38CA5D81D6A7.jpeg
8CCC24F7-52CA-4F58-B345-38CA5D81D6A7.jpeg (71.44 KiB) Viewed 748 times

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Finally here

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:00 pm

Very nice indeed :thumbsup:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Phippy

Finally here

Post by Phippy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:20 pm

They compliment each other very well! Congrats on finding your hero! even though it will be stored you can still go look at / sit in it :rofl:
2008 BMW Z4 3.0SI Sport Coupe
2013 VW T5.1 Camper - Built not bought

Scarcey

Finally here

Post by Scarcey » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:33 pm

Phippy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:20 pm They compliment each other very well! Congrats on finding your hero! even though it will be stored you can still go look at / sit in it :rofl:
That’s the plan. Just sat in the garage with a cuppa staring.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Finally here

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:45 pm

Congrtulations on finally getting your dream car. :thumbsup:

I wanted a Z4 Coupe ever since 2008 when I saw one in the showroom when I collected my 123d. :roll:

Finally got a 3.0Si in 2014 after business mileage was no longer an issue and wished I had done it sooner. Loved it and had 2, but as time went by I started to get an itch for an M which finally got scratched in December 2019.

And I love that even more for all the reasons you have described - just starting the engine is a special occasion!

54K is quite early for rod bearings but as it seems to be a keeper you'll want to get them done at some point anyway, so why not now for peace of mind. I had mine done at 78K and they were pretty worn - but with 7 former keepers I wasn't too surprised.

There are quite a few Z4 owners in Norfolk who organise quite a few local meets that may be of interest depending on which part of Suffolk you are in.

And given the cost of road tax some time on SORN over the winter when you wouldn't use it makes sense. Sadly I can't offer any advice about storage as I'm still waiting for a house move to happen and until it does I don't have a garage.

Good luck convincing the wife you need a Z3 and a Z4!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Finally here

Post by buzyg » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:20 pm

Great pair. 8) :thumbsup: The MR is relatively old school low tech. So happily you can just switch it off for winter. If you need to, then remove the battery without worry. Otherwise attach a smart charger. Hand brake off. I leave the top down on mine when in the garage, but many leave it up. Tyres don't like sitting for months on end, so either roll it a few feet now and then or pop it on axel stands.

Scarcey

Finally here

Post by Scarcey » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:14 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:45 pm Congrtulations on finally getting your dream car. :thumbsup:

I wanted a Z4 Coupe ever since 2008 when I saw one in the showroom when I collected my 123d. :roll:

Finally got a 3.0Si in 2014 after business mileage was no longer an issue and wished I had done it sooner. Loved it and had 2, but as time went by I started to get an itch for an M which finally got scratched in December 2019.

And I love that even more for all the reasons you have described - just starting the engine is a special occasion!

54K is quite early for rod bearings but as it seems to be a keeper you'll want to get them done at some point anyway, so why not now for peace of mind. I had mine done at 78K and they were pretty worn - but with 7 former keepers I wasn't too surprised.

There are quite a few Z4 owners in Norfolk who organise quite a few local meets that may be of interest depending on which part of Suffolk you are in.

And given the cost of road tax some time on SORN over the winter when you wouldn't use it makes sense. Sadly I can't offer any advice about storage as I'm still waiting for a house move to happen and until it does I don't have a garage.

Good luck convincing the wife you need a Z3 and a Z4!
Precisely my thinking re: rod bearings. I’m going to have the Vanos done too. It’s a keeper so get it done for peace of mind.

Scarcey

Finally here

Post by Scarcey » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:16 pm

buzyg wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:20 pm Great pair. 8) :thumbsup: The MR is relatively old school low tech. So happily you can just switch it off for winter. If you need to, then remove the battery without worry. Otherwise attach a smart charger. Hand brake off. I leave the top down on mine when in the garage, but many leave it up. Tyres don't like sitting for months on end, so either roll it a few feet now and then or pop it on axel stands.

Charger is on the list. I was going to get some of those little ramp things for the car to sit on rather than stands. I can’t remember for the life of me what they’re called though.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Finally here

Post by Pondrew » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:20 pm

Scarcey wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:16 pm I was going to get some of those little ramp things for the car to sit on rather than stands. I can’t remember for the life of me what they’re called though.
Think they're called ramps. :D
That will still leave the weight on the tyres, just higher off the ground. Axle stands take the weight off the tyres to avoid cracking and perishing IIRC. :thumbsup:
I sit mine on squares of old carpet in the garage over winter; it insulates the tyres a bit from the cold concrete,
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ian J

Finally here

Post by Ian J » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:38 am

Pondrew wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:20 pm
I sit mine on squares of old carpet in the garage over winter; it insulates the tyres a bit from the cold concrete,
I leave mine on the drive over winter as it still gets driven every day :D

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Finally here

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:43 am

Pondrew wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:20 pm
Scarcey wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:16 pm I was going to get some of those little ramp things for the car to sit on rather than stands. I can’t remember for the life of me what they’re called though.
Think they're called ramps. :D
That will still leave the weight on the tyres, just higher off the ground. Axle stands take the weight off the tyres to avoid cracking and perishing IIRC. :thumbsup:
I think he means the small ones that curve to support the tyre across a bigger area rather than a small patch at the bottom.
I've contemplated those too. Axle stands leave the wheels hanging on the suspension at full extension and I'm not sure that does a lot of good either?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Finally here

Post by Pondrew » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:35 am

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:43 am I think he means the small ones that curve to support the tyre across a bigger area rather than a small patch at the bottom.
I've contemplated those too. Axle stands leave the wheels hanging on the suspension at full extension and I'm not sure that does a lot of good either?
I thought about sticking the trolley jack under each corner and rotating the wheels by 90 degrees every week or so, but I know I'll get bored with doing that. Also I'll forget which way I turned 'em last time so would probably not help much.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Finally here

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:51 pm

just inflate to 50psi..theyll still be sitting on one spot but less chance of a flat spot developing :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Finally here

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:08 pm

My advice would simply be not to store it over winter... some of my best drives when I had the Z4 were in the ice cold! :driving:
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

maxman

Finally here

Post by maxman » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:09 pm

Nice introduction.Why waste money doing rod bearings at 56k ,when the car will a low miles per year car. :driving: