Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Has anyone ever...... Alpina Coupe

Alpina Specific discussion
Calps

Post by Calps » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:58 am

I'm sure the majority of us are aware that the "did Alpina ever make a Z4 Coupe" question has been answered multiple times over, and the many reasons put forward as to why one never came to be.

However, upon seeing that Synters have a less-than-perfect Alpina going to auction today, it did get me wondering (again) if anyone ever attempted to amalgamate the two in an unofficial capacity? i.e. take an Alpina (presumably/preferably a write off), and transfer all of the bits over to a coupe?

In a time where there have been V10 engine swaps, V8 swaps with extensive Z8 body work manipulation that makes me feel right but wrong in multiple ways (yes, I'm looking at you Oletha) it would, to my mind, be the very definition of unique, and yet still OE.

Obviously searching for "Z4 Alpina Coupe" brings up the answer to my opening statement, so finding out of this has ever been done has always eluded me (although I am quite lazy).

And so I put it to you - Has this ever been done? Can it be done? Is it sacrilege? Does anyone have a donor Alpina that I can borrow?
MelZ: Black Sapphire Z4C

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:59 pm

I imagine Alpina may have made Coupes if it hadn't taken BMW 3 years to get around to building any Coupes!

Somehow I doubt anyone has built one when it would be so much easier to just buy an M Coupe. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Calps

Post by Calps » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:14 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:59 pm Somehow I doubt anyone has built one when it would be so much easier to just buy an M Coupe. :lol:
There's no doubting that, although it's only really applicable when there are Z4Ms available for purchase, of which there are rarely any ever in Ireland. Normal roadsters would be scarce enough here, Coupe's even more so, and Ms even rarer again. (I've never seen an Alpina for sale here).

I think it would be an interesting project if someone had the means and the donor vehicles, although your head would probably be wrecked explaining it to people though....

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:18 am

I think this is a great idea. Tribute Alpina Coupe using a very leggy coupe and unloved Alpina Roadster…why not. Go for it Calps!
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:04 pm

It wouldn’t have been done purely because Alpina only produced the Roadster S during 2004&5 and the Coupe wasn’t launched until 2006, at which time BMW had introduced the MR and MC and stopped supplying Alpina with Z’s

When Alpina launched the Roadster S, there was no competition for it anywhere near 300 BHP. The pre-facelift 3.0 was only down around 230bhp.
When the facelift Si was launched at 265BHP, the ///M versions were pushing 340 so still a significant jump.

Interesting project though if someone had the time and patience. There was a Roadster S (#095) being broken only 3 months ago in a scrap yard near Motherwell which had light front end damage so would have provided all the necessary rare bits other than a front spoiler much cheaper than Sytner are asking for #024
breaking FJ05OAN.jpg
breaking FJ05OAN.jpg (270.82 KiB) Viewed 2369 times
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:26 pm

Calps wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:14 am
Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:59 pm Somehow I doubt anyone has built one when it would be so much easier to just buy an M Coupe. :lol:
There's no doubting that, although it's only really applicable when there are Z4Ms available for purchase, of which there are rarely any ever in Ireland. Normal roadsters would be scarce enough here, Coupe's even more so, and Ms even rarer again. (I've never seen an Alpina for sale here).

I think it would be an interesting project if someone had the means and the donor vehicles, although your head would probably be wrecked explaining it to people though....
Forum member Attilio has an MC in Ireland, so there is definitely one!

That's an interesting suggestion from Number5 though.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Calps

Post by Calps » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:39 pm

inkey$ wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:18 am I think this is a great idea. Tribute Alpina Coupe using a very leggy coupe and unloved Alpina Roadster…why not. Go for it Calps!
Thanks for the encouragement inkey$, although I'd be a lifetime waiting for either to come available on the Irish market, and the cost to import either from mainland UK has skyrocketed since Brexit so unless I win the lotto in the interim, or relocate to the UK (there are worse reasons to move I suppose), it will fall to someone else to take on the challenge. Someone who, oh I dunno, is selling a coupe. In Blue. With Bronze Bolas. :poke:

Calps

Post by Calps » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:51 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:26 pm Forum member Attilio has an MC in Ireland, so there is definitely one!

That's an interesting suggestion from Number5 though
He certainly does, I've seen it on quite a few occasions now (it's glorious btw!).

Like me though, he had to import it. I'm aware of a small numbers of Ms in existence over here, all bar one are imports I believe. I'm sure there are a few original Irish cars hidden away somewhere, but they're rarely for sale. There just wasn't the volume of them sold here. No idea if an Alpina ever graced these shores.

Number5's suggestion is precisely what I had in mind. If the cost of importing cars wasn't so damn high, I'd give some serious thought as to how I could progress this. By all accounts, it sounds like it would be one of a kind!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:59 pm

Calps wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:51 pm
He certainly does, I've seen it on quite a few occasions now (it's glorious btw!).

Like me though, he had to import it. I'm aware of a small numbers of Ms in existence over here, all bar one are imports I believe. I'm sure there are a few original Irish cars hidden away somewhere, but they're rarely for sale. There just wasn't the volume of them sold here. No idea if an Alpina ever graced these shores.

Number5's suggestion is precisely what I had in mind. If the cost of importing cars wasn't so damn high, I'd give some serious thought as to how I could progress this. By all accounts, it sounds like it would be one of a kind!
I only remember Attilio's car because he bought some spacers I was selling last year!

I suppose your Road Tax pricing didn't exactly encourage M/Alpina ownership. :o

But that one Number5 had highlighted would definitely make a great donor car. Shame you would like to do it, but are in the wrong place for it to make much sense.
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Calps

Post by Calps » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:29 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:59 pm I suppose your Road Tax pricing didn't exactly encourage M/Alpina ownership. :o
It barely encourages Skoda Fabia ownership :rofl:

Couple that with high insurance, and higher overall vehicle costs w/lower spec compared to across the water, and higher end cars tend to be thin on the ground.

We've 1000's of base spec Nissan Primeras though!

It's a pity I cant act on Number5's suggestion, but patience is how I managed to eventually land my coupe, so I think I'll apply the same to this (unless someone points out that this has been done already).

The real kicker, if I did find an Alpina donor to go ahead with it, would be whether I keep my Z4C, use it as the coupe donor, or sell it to finance this would-be Frankenstein Alpina Z4. That's probably one for Mrs Calps though....

Anyway, this has taken a massive tangent, from a general curiosity if one exists, to me somehow accepting I'm potentially building one (and relocating in the process for tax purposes 😄)

Just another regular day on the forum I guess.....

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:41 pm

Calps wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:29 pm Anyway, this has taken a massive tangent, from a general curiosity if one exists, to me somehow accepting I'm potentially building one (and relocating in the process for tax purposes 😄)

Just another regular day on the forum I guess.....
Sounds about right!

If you do relocate maybe try the Isle of Man - 10% income tax and some roads with no speed limit. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:57 am

Number5 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:04 pm It wouldn’t have been done purely because Alpina only produced the Roadster S during 2004&5 and the Coupe wasn’t launched until 2006, at which time BMW had introduced the MR and MC and stopped supplying Alpina with Z’s
The agreement between BMW and Alpina meant that BMW would never have stopped supplying Alpina with donor E85 cars direct from the production line if Alpina wanted them. Alpina stated that they stopped production of the RS because of the introduction of the Euro4 emissions standard - something that the RS's S52B32-based engine couldn't meet.

BMW launching the Z4Ms and Alpina knowing that it's a good idea to avoid biting the hand the feeds you had nothing to do with it...

...Honest guv! :wink:
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

MC4thewin

Post by MC4thewin » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:52 am

I have a spare set of Alpina B10 wheels I'm installing on my 2006 Coupe. The previous owner fitted 19" wheels causing fender rub. The turbines are an almost exact match to the OEM wheels plus, they'll look awesome!
2006 Z4M Coupe. Imola Red, black leather, carbon fiber...supercharged.
Alpina hoarder...
1997 Alpina B10 V8. #039 Montreal blue with fabric seats.
1998 Alpina B6 Touring #103 is my dd.
JDM in Boston green with fabric seats and 5 spd conversion.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:04 pm

Calps wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:58 am ....... it did get me wondering (again) if anyone ever attempted to amalgamate the two in an unofficial capacity? i.e. take an Alpina (presumably/preferably a write off), and transfer all of the bits over to a coupe?

.....Is it sacrilege?
Well here is your answer And its a Weapon !!!

Yours for only £8,299 on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 72a06eb135
Weapun.jpg
Weapun.jpg (185.28 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
weapon2.jpg
weapon2.jpg (90.75 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Calps

Post by Calps » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:11 pm

Number5 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:04 pm
Calps wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:58 am ....... it did get me wondering (again) if anyone ever attempted to amalgamate the two in an unofficial capacity? i.e. take an Alpina (presumably/preferably a write off), and transfer all of the bits over to a coupe?

.....Is it sacrilege?
Well here is your answer And its a Weapon !!!

Yours for only £8,299 on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 72a06eb135

Weapun.jpg
weapon2.jpg
Hahaha, I'm such a fool. All I had to do was stick Alpina badges everywhere - instant upgrade!

To be fair, barring the gold (which is a little OTT, but far from the worse I've seen), it's not a terrible example, and they don't claim it as an Alpina. They probably should have put Alpina wheels on it though. The centre caps on those wheels would keep me awake at night. :headbang: