Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Stupid me

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid me

Post by MikeyH » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:09 pm

I’m new here but why is it when I post a reply it sometimes goes to the wrong place? :thumbsdown:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid me

Post by Smartbear » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:50 pm

MikeyH wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:09 pm I’m new here but why is it when I post a reply it sometimes goes to the wrong place? :thumbsdown:
Do you mean your reply goes to a completely different thread? Can’t see how that could happen?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid me

Post by MikeyH » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:45 am

It doesn’t seem to be a reply to the correct person and starts a new thread but I may be imagining it as I’m not sure if I should be using the quick reply box or if I should click on the quote mark in the top right hand of the box of the person I’m replying to. This was sent from the quick reply box
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid me

Post by Pondrew » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:03 am

You can do either of the above, but it can't post to a different thread. If you want to quote a person in the thread just click on the quote marks next to that reply (it can be any or all in the thread)
The below is me clicking on the quote marks in both of the replies above. You can also edit quotes as long as you leave the quote in brackets bits at the beginning and end.
Smartbear wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:50 pm
MikeyH wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:09 pm I’m new here but why is it when I post a reply it sometimes goes to the wrong place? :thumbsdown:
Do you mean your reply goes to a completely different thread? Can’t see how that could happen?
Rob
MikeyH wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:45 am It doesn’t seem to be a reply to the correct person and starts a new thread but I may be imagining it as I’m not sure if I should be using the quick reply box or if I should click on the quote mark in the top right hand of the box of the person I’m replying to. This was sent from the quick reply box
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid me

Post by MikeyH » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:09 am

Pondrew wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:03 am You can do either of the above, but it can't post to a different thread. If you want to quote a person in the thread just click on the quote marks next to that reply (it can be any or all in the thread)
The below is me clicking on the quote marks in both of the replies above. You can also edit quotes as long as you leave the
bits at the beginning and end.
Smartbear wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:50 pm
Ah daylight ,here I’ve used the quote marks and hopefully it reply to you and not generally.
Rob
MikeyH wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:45 am It doesn’t seem to be a reply to the correct person and starts a new thread but I may be imagining it as I’m not sure if I should be using the quick reply box or if I should click on the quote mark in the top right hand of the box of the person I’m replying to. This was sent from the quick reply box

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid me

Post by Pondrew » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:16 am

You can also highlight part of a post and insert just that bit directly into the reply box.(Although this seems to only work sometimes for me :? )
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid me

Post by MikeyH » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:21 am

Thank you for your help Pondrew, for instance I just sent you back a reply from using the quote and it has gone into the ether. This one is again from quick reply. Might be my iPad causing it or me not typing properly. Who knows. :)

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid me

Post by Zedebee » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:39 am

If you post a comment and while you are composing it someone else posts a comment on the same thread, sometimes your comment seems to go AWOL. When you submit, the system brings up the new comment(s) and invites you to submit again, but at this point your comment hasn’t posted yet. Seems to happen a lot on busy threads.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid me

Post by MikeyH » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:04 am

Thank you Zedebee, I think this is what has been happening then. It’s quite awkward on a small screen with the typing pad taking up so much room. I wouldn’t necessarily see a new window pop open and miss the message, I will need to keep my eyes more open for this.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid me

Post by Pondrew » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:09 am

MikeyH wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:21 am Might be my iPad causing it or me not typing properly. Who knows.
Well you will these cheap old computers :D :poke:

Not sure how it works on an ipad, but whether you quote or just reply it should still be in the reply box. Then you have to submit it. You can also edit any post once it's been sent by using the pencil button (or is it an eraser) :)

It doesn't post for you if you quote, like some other software does. You still need to press the GO button (submit).

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Stupid me

Post by MikeyH » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:18 pm

Many thanks Pondrew :)